Very angry with my pump!!!

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm having an off day and nothing is going right!!!

I somehow managed to pull my pump out during the night but I didn't realise until mid morning because it was in my back and was still stuck on :(

When I realised I was 15.6 and changed infusion sets and thought I'd fixed it.
No. There was an air bubble in the tube so still haven't managed to get bloods down and the ketones are setting in along with a stomach ache.

Does anyone else get stomach ache when their bloods are high?

Where the hell do air bubbles come from?!

I had so many things I wanted to do today and I don't have the energy :(

What a waste of a day.

And, to top it off, I've got an appointment with my consultant tomorrow morning!

Claire x

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Awww. @claire1991 - really sorry to hear this - sending a virtual hug. I hate it when things go wrong, and I've been there too with my pump. Hope you feel much better soon.

I get a whole spectrum of symptoms when I'm high and another different set when I'm low - stomach ache doesn't feature in either of those for me, but obviously we're all very different!

Feel better soon! Hope your appointment goes well.

:)

Reactions: 2 people

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Awww. @claire1991 - really sorry to hear this - sending a virtual hug. I hate it when things go wrong, and I've been there too with my pump. Hope you feel much better soon.

I get a whole spectrum of symptoms when I'm high and another different set when I'm low - stomach ache doesn't feature in either of those for me, but obviously we're all very different!

Feel better soon! Hope your appointment goes well.

:)
Thanks @Snapsy :) x

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @claire1991 , am I right in thinking you are pregnant? I just wanted to flag up that abdominal pain can be a symptom of DKA, which can come on much quicker in pregnancy - if you've got ketones do see if you can get hold of someone in your care team or call 111 for advice. Look after yourself & try to resist the urge to stamp on the pump.

Reactions: 9 people

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @catapillar yes I am pregnant, I've managed to get my ketones down to 0.2 from 0.8 so I'm heading in the right direction, I think that now I've got rid of the air bubble things are starting to calm down a lot.

Thanks xx

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Aw Claire it's such a nightmare when that happens!! But I second what @catapillar has said either phone your DSN or get yourself to a&e so they can check out the ketones, I've had to be in a few times so far in my pregnancy and they take it so seriously, hope you're ok x

Reactions: 6 people

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the comments, I didn't end up in A&E in the end I managed to get my bloods down and get rid of ketones myself :)

X

Reactions: 4 people

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Claire can I ask what pump you have? My old pump did that quite often a right pain!!

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the comments, I didn't end up in A&E in the end I managed to get my bloods down and get rid of ketones myself :)

X

Glad you're ok Hun, don't know if it helps but when I have my cannula somewhere I can't see it I stick some micropore tape over it, just to be sure it's not going anywhere :D xx

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad you're ok Hun, don't know if it helps but when I have my cannula somewhere I can't see it I stick some micropore tape over it, just to be sure it's not going anywhere :D xx
That's a good idea, thanks for that! X

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Ah I feel your pain - I had a bad infusion set yesterday, was running nicely all morning below 6mmol/l did a set change and the cannula wasn't in properly and got stuck at 24mmol/l for the rest of the day, felt tired (odd hungover feeling) corrected all afternoon/evening and couldn't sleep, then discovered before I drifted off that my pump had fallen out my waist band which was lucky as could of wrapped myself up in it - back to normal today though.

Helps to share your feelings, so hope you're back to target range soon ;)

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Claire, it's a pain because all these pumps are meant to alarm if insulin isn't going into the skin. I'm on an omi pod now and it's brilliant as it makes it very hard for the cannula to move.
Have you thought of approaching the company? And your diabetic clinic? I only ask because they might be able to help but also do something to help. The only other thing I did when I used wired cannula so was I got into a habit or using medical tape to tape it down so it couldn't move.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah I feel your pain - I had a bad infusion set yesterday, was running nicely all morning below 6mmol/l did a set change and the cannula wasn't in properly and got stuck at 24mmol/l for the rest of the day, felt tired (odd hungover feeling) corrected all afternoon/evening and couldn't sleep, then discovered before I drifted off that my pump had fallen out my waist band which was lucky as could of wrapped myself up in it - back to normal today though.

Helps to share your feelings, so hope you're back to target range soon ;)
It's a nightmare isn't it! Pumps are brilliant when they work properly but when they don't you certainly pay the price!
Not feeling too bad today, hope you're feeling better too!

Claire x

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Claire, it's a pain because all these pumps are meant to alarm if insulin isn't going into the skin. I'm on an omi pod now and it's brilliant as it makes it very hard for the cannula to move.
Have you thought of approaching the company? And your diabetic clinic? I only ask because they might be able to help but also do something to help. The only other thing I did when I used wired cannula so was I got into a habit or using medical tape to tape it down so it couldn't move.
I have thought about approach them yes, it doesn't happen very often though and if I wasn't pregnant then I wouldn't have been too bothered.
Medical tape may well be the way forward!

Claire x

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It must be difficult being pregnant too. Maybe the company need to know even more? Like you said there awesome when they work. I must admit I'm not keen on the wired pumps for this and other reasons. I guess it might help for the future to whether this pump is for you?

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It must be difficult being pregnant too. Maybe the company need to know even more? Like you said there awesome when they work. I must admit I'm not keen on the wired pumps for this and other reasons. I guess it might help for the future to whether this pump is for you?
I've never had problems with it before I was pregnant. I've got a week of pregnancy left and when I'm in a better situation I'll look into other pumps.
I love my pump and wouldn't be without one now but it certainly has its issues!

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@claire1991 I'm loving this expression! I've been coming across your various posts and despite the various curveballs it sounds as if you're coping brilliantly with it all!

Looking forward to next week's big news!

:happy:
Thank you!
I'm doing my best!!
I can't wait for it to be here, will definitely post once it's all over with and I know we're both okay :)

X