Very glad i didn't try to extend sensor

Breck Lundin

I will eventually but the sensor was the first one for me. It stopped earlier today, no biggie. Time to change.

That adhesive is strong! Im a kinda big sweaty hairy guy, not chia pet hairy, just "manly hair". I had to wear a cardic monitor for 24hrs early this year and the leads just fell off. So even though this first site seem clear i learned I was wrong. The adhesive didn't care about hairy bits, it was after flesh! And it won...wow I believe i lost at least one layer of skin jk....

Thing was i had a crescent shaped bruise on the outer edge of the tape but under the tape.

After triage i got new location properly mowed and ready. Insertion was no muss, no fuss.

I so like this device. Had doc appointment this AM. He had never seen one of these kits. Walked him through it all. He was quite impressed with the xDrip+ software. I am too.

I'm so glad I took a chance from tje ad on, shudder, Facebook. The process from start to finish was easy as pie. The folks who took care of it were thoughtful, ardent in their efforts and they called exactly when they said they would.

Best part is I finally have a tool to let me easily monitor & manage my doses. The quasi real-time graphs give the opportunity to visually understand what's happening allowing one to adjust & adapt to your levels.

Other than the Dexcom software being a disappointment due to the need for a different phone, eliminated by xDrip+, i don't believe i could adk for more or better results in my first week...BG dropped from the 250-350 (last a1c was 19! yikes!) for the most part to significantly improved stability allowing me to set ever tighter goals as things progress.

Just wanted to share the whole full-on diabetes thing came out of nowhere after total hip replacement in late January 2018. Never realized what a shock and drain that surgery would be.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Interesting post. I'm assuming you're using dexcom, but is it dexcom 5 or 6?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
If you mean the G6 then the adhesive lasts almost precisely 12 days before it starts to come away.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Breck Lundin Yes, I agree it pays to shave the site before inserting! I add a patch of Opsite Flexifix tape when the original starts to lift - at about 10 days for me.

Reactions: Breck Lundin

Breck Lundin

@Breck Lundin Yes, I agree it pays to shave the site before inserting! I add a patch of Opsite Flexifix tape when the original starts to lift - at about 10 days for me.
Hi Dune,

Thank you... i watched a YT video yesterday about replacing a sensor. That tape was mentioned but i didn't wrote down so i naturally couldn't remember last night.

I will order a bit of. it today.

You can bet i shaved. New sensor is happily going about it's business. i did place it mire on my upper abdomen. First one was on left side. i learned that is a bit of a prob. I'm right handed and tend to lay on that side lounging in bed while working (a perk of working from home). I would roll onto the left side smothering the sensor. On right side this time. Much less of an issue.