Very high late morning bg

drago72

Hi, i was diagnosed with prediabetes / insulin resistance. I am in no medication so far but making diet and lifestyle changes. I had morning readings 120-130 (fasting) and now have 110-123. If i fast through the day it goes down to 105.

However, in the morning, i get 115 for example, as the hours pass, bg goes up. I have seen readings up to 150! with no breakfast three hours after waking up. With breakfast after waking up, i still might get 140! then it starts dropping down to 105-115 before lunch.

I have read about the dawn phenomenon and morning effects, but i'm not sure how much should i worry about it. Any ideas?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the same experience. I eat breakfast, then fast thorough the day and eat again in the evening. That seems to bring about the best results.
As that is what always happens, I just accept that it is the way I am programmed - if I do not eat in the morning my ever helpful liver keeps on putting out the glucose so that I can find something to eat.
I eat only limited carbs in the morning, up to about 10 gm max, as that is also the time I am most insulin resistant, from what I can work out.

drago72

I had the same experience. I eat breakfast, then fast thorough the day and eat again in the evening. That seems to bring about the best results.
As that is what always happens, I just accept that it is the way I am programmed - if I do not eat in the morning my ever helpful liver keeps on putting out the glucose so that I can find something to eat.
I eat only limited carbs in the morning, up to about 10 gm max, as that is also the time I am most insulin resistant, from what I can work out.

Hi, thank you for your reply. This starts getting very confusing. Did you use medications as well?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What level was your diagnosis HbA1c?
It could be that you already have some stored glucose so your body is taking the fasting oppotunity to dump some of it hence the higher readings. This could be a major benefit ...
Maybe try having some ultra low carb breakfast like bacon and eggs to see what happens then or even just a coffee with double cream.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, thank you for your reply. This starts getting very confusing. Did you use medications as well?
No - I was prescribed it, reacted badly and threw it away - didn't need it in the first place.
When you understand what is going on, it is actually simply - not eating in the morning is a signal that there is nothing to eat - so your liver releases stored glucose so you can either travel to where you can gather nuts and berries, or chase after something running away so it doesn't get eaten.
I eat about 10 gm of carbs along with the protein and fats - it could be a salad or stirfry, and the increase in level stops and then drops, particularly if I go out to do some activity.

drago72

Hello, thank you for your reply. My HbA1c, according to my meter is 5.9. After Christmas i will do the blood test and glucose curve test.

This is why i try to understand what happens, cause doctors are very easy in prescribing meds and i try to manage it without it.

I also suspect that what i get is not dawn phenomenon as described in articles i i read.