Approved Very important for Type 1 & 2 Diabetes!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AA.diabetes

Dear all,
Please read this carefully!!

Our research group in the School of Pharmacy at De Montfort University is working to produce a medical device that might help people with diabetes maintain the right level of glucose in their blood. One of the ways we can investigate this is to examine the response to ordinary exercise in the diabetes person.
We would like to invite you to take part in this survey because you have either Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes. It is an opportunity for you to discuss your experience with various aspects of your diabetes and your attitudes with exercise. The information we get from this survey will be combined with a practical study we will also be conducting which may lead to recommendations to improve the lifestyle of people with diabetes in the future. The information could also help research toward a suitable exercise regime for people with diabetes.
All information collected about you during the course of the survey will be strictly confidential and we will not ask for any personal details.

Survey link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5QY9G8Y

This survey matches a new practical study that measures metabolism and energy expenditure in exercise. We have equipped a new laboratory to deal with this aspect of diabetic life and are presently looking for local volunteers (Leicester UK) to help in this project. Therefore, if you live in Leicester and you would like to know about:
• Your cardiovascular fitness level.
• How strong are you now?
• How to perform different exercises correctly.
• Measure your blood levels of lipids, glucose, HbA1c, electrolytes, blood gases and more!!...
This is your chance to participate in this study.

If you have any questions then please contact us.

Thank you very much for your time.

Yours sincerely

MJ Taylor
Professor of Pharmaceutics
0116 2506317
[email protected]

Ahmed Alsabih
PhD student
[email protected]

THIS SURVEY CAN BE FILLED IN ELECTRONICALLY BUT IF YOU PREFER, YOU CAN PRINT THE SURVEY, FILL IT IN MANUALLY AND THE ADDRESS LABEL ON THE BACK PAGE CAN BE USED
NO STAMP NEEDED IF MAILED FROM THE UK

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
I have recently helped someone who asked for help with research, it is something I don't mind doing provided I can see in what way it would benefit the diabetic community..it was in response to another post in the research section.

However, I don't appreciate the wording in your post, let me explain. You may have the very best of intentions but please bear in mind that it is US who would be doing YOU a favour, not the other way around.
We will have the opportunity to discuss our experiences with you..and why exactly should we jump at the chance of doing that? We can do that here, among others who are not HCP's..this forum is not set up to provide volunteers for a research project but your post seems to assume we should be grateful for being asked to do you a favour.

On a more practical level..many of us here disgree strongly with the current NICE recommendations regarding glucose levels in the blood so to say that you are setting up a gadget that maintains the "right" level of glucose doesn't fill me with confidence. This sentence
Measure your blood levels of lipids, glucose, HbA1c, electrolytes, blood gases and more!!...

really has wound me up. Again it is being presented as something of a bargain that we should all jump at! An incentive? Not to me I'm afraid, I find it more than a little bit offensive considering that most of us have to fight tooth and nail to even get test strips for our meters and most don't get them prescribed at all.

If you and your team of researchers really want to do something valuable, can I suggest you come down from your pedestal (because you are here at the discretion of the admin, this is a forum for those with personal diabetes issues) and spend some time having a look around this forum and who uses it.

I have spoken as someone who believes in research but has not time for those who place themselves above the very people they are asking to help them. If I'm wrong then fair enough but that is certainly the impression your request gave me. :thumbdown:

PS. By the way..I forgot to mention the title of your post "Very important for Type 1 & 2 Diabetes.!!!" No, it's not, it's a poorly worded sales pitch to get people to help you design a product that I am not even sure people would want. Maybe instead of telling us what we need, you can ask?

Reactions: 4 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Totally agree with ladybird64.

And the "please read this carefully!!" In bold letters suggests that you think we are stupid.

It's our pancreases that are damaged, not our brains or reading abilities!!

:(

Indiana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 people

JAO

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am new here pls. I need to confirm if travelling by air more often triggers high sugar level in diabetics patient...i am type 2

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Status
Not open for further replies.