Very low mood and post Xmas sugars

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
So over xmas I did have treats. All my meals were either very low carb or no carb but in between I did have some biscuits some sweets etc.
When I treated my sugars spiked which was expected but otherwise they were fine.
Since I’ve been back I’ve returned to my Uber low carb probably KETO.
But my mood has been low. I e struggled to work, I have zero interest and just wanted to be at home the whole time.
Before and during and after xmas I also had that terribly basty bug that went round and to be honest on occasion I’m not convinced it’s fully gone!
Anyway. This week the cravings have been hellish, I’ve even cheated which is unlike me. Two days I’ve had biscuits at Costa and today I’ve eaten a whole pack of ginger nuts.
But interestingly my mood has picked up. This morning I was crying for England and felt wretched now I’m fine. mit suddenly dawned on me whether my low low mood dived coming back at new year is down to sugar withdrawal but I don’t know that I deserve it because I didn’t go over the top at xmas.
Could it be that? Is my body so stupidly addicted to sugar that even the smallest amount means I have to go through weeks of hell to come off again?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Unfortunately sugar is very addictive.
Could it be that? Is my body so stupidly addicted to sugar that even the smallest amount means I have to go through weeks of hell to come off again?
Well, maybe. But it's also pretty common for people in the Northern hemisphere to get depressed/stressed over Xmas/New Year. It's the middle of winter so you get lots of colds etc, you're either depressed because you aren't getting family interactions (everyone else must be having fun) or because you are (can't cope with the festive cheer and mixing with relatives any more).

Think of high carb for a T2 as being a bit like nicotine????

Anyway, hope you feel better soon and good luck with the cravings.

Reactions: HSSS

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
hi @woollygal ,

You have really articulated very well my fears. I saw the dr yesterday for my latest HbA1c. Her advice was that it is stable but I should allow myself to have treats and not test so regularly- I felt so low after that visit that I think I need a new dr- sad because before this she was awesome. I know I can't have a few treats because I fear that then going back would mean all those things you describe- low moods etc. You have my deep sympathy- I hope that it is a bit shorter this time as the time out of the carb life was so much shorter. Good luck- remember you can do this and that those cravings etc will fade.

My sympathy and hugs.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Treats such as real custard, sugar free jelly and berries?
Having steak and mushrooms, sweet pepper and courgette or aubergine for breakfast, then a huge salad served alongside roast chicken for supper - mugs of real coffee with cream - cheese served with home made seedy crackers and walnuts.
I have had to do without the support of a GP since diagnosis because I dared to get rid of the tablets and still return to normal levels of blood glucose and Hba1c and lost weight without trying.
It is sad when a system we have relied on fails us so badly, but eating a low carb diet and testing is going to win in the end because so many type twos are going to be standing on their own two feet - complete with all ten toes and being old, active and decidedly not unwell.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@woollygal - whenever did you last have your vitamins and iron checked?

So, so many of us are VitD deficient and even more so a this time of year, and that's certainly impacts mood and energy. Our vitamin levels are also crucial for efficient metabolisms, so if yours haven't been checked in a while, it could be an idea.

Reactions: ziggy_w

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
@woollygal - whenever did you last have your vitamins and iron checked?

So, so many of us are VitD deficient and even more so a this time of year, and that's certainly impacts mood and energy. Our vitamin levels are also crucial for efficient metabolisms, so if yours haven't been checked in a while, it could be an idea.
I am not sure I ever have. I have a feeling when u last asked dr she added it but really can’t remember.
I’m going to discuss this with her next week but think she will just say it’s the sugar etc

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not sure I ever have. I have a feeling when u last asked dr she added it but really can’t remember.
I’m going to discuss this with her next week but think she will just say it’s the sugar etc

I think the VitD is a valid check, in a UK winter, if it hasn't been done in the last couple of months, and you're not on tip-top form. Even if she says it's just the sugar, ask for the test anyway, in order to rule it out? It's not an expensive test.

The medics feel anything over about 50 (if I recall well), but I like mine to be skirting or above 100. In UK, I supplement year round. I'm overseas at the moment, with strong sunshine and 30c, so I drop the supplement until I get back.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I think the VitD is a valid check, in a UK winter, if it hasn't been done in the last couple of months, and you're not on tip-top form. Even if she says it's just the sugar, ask for the test anyway, in order to rule it out? It's not an expensive test.

The medics feel anything over about 50 (if I recall well), but I like mine to be skirting or above 100. In UK, I supplement year round. I'm overseas at the moment, with strong sunshine and 30c, so I drop the supplement until I get back.
I’ll ask her thank you.
When I’m home and just relaxing I’m a lot better. It’s the going out and having to work lol!!

Im still a lot better this morning. But I can’t keep going through full withdrawal nonsense (if that’s what it is) just by coming off plan slightly for few days. It wasn’t fully off and still very restrained.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll ask her thank you.
When I’m home and just relaxing I’m a lot better. It’s the going out and having to work lol!!

Im still a lot better this morning. But I can’t keep going through full withdrawal nonsense (if that’s what it is) just by coming off plan slightly for few days. It wasn’t fully off and still very restrained.

Woollygal, waaaaaaay back, I speculated you might have some food sensitivities. I'm still minded to think the same.

I'm not suggesting you are very sensitive to gluten, as I'm not clear enough on these specific triggers, but I do recall you having significant issues coming off "normal" bread?

For me, if I have gluten, I feel like I've been hit by a bus. I'm exhausted, and want to sit on the sofa watching awful TV. I feel bloated, and over a couple of days my tummy goes like a cannon ball, then it "releases". (I'll spare the specifics.)

It takes me 2-3 weeks to get over that, so I just avoid like the plague now.

I didn't think I had an issue with gluten, but was told to go GF by the Endo I see for my wonky thyroid. After a number of months, I had a lightbulb moment that I felt, just better. At that point, I hadn't had bread for years, but gluten is sneakily in lots of things.

To repeat, I'm not suggesting gluten is your thing, but more describing how sneaky food intolerances can be, and how when we avoid said food, our sensitivity can have increased, because we're not used to it.

Just a (probably depressing for you) thought.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Her advice was that it is stable but I should allow myself to have treats and not test so regularly
How any doctor could say this to a patient who has worked hard to achieve something is beyond stupid... words fail me.
I hope you get angry rather than sad and re-double your efforts to show them how crazy they are.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Woollygal, waaaaaaay back, I speculated you might have some food sensitivities. I'm still minded to think the same.

I'm not suggesting you are very sensitive to gluten, as I'm not clear enough on these specific triggers, but I do recall you having significant issues coming off "normal" bread?

For me, if I have gluten, I feel like I've been hit by a bus. I'm exhausted, and want to sit on the sofa watching awful TV. I feel bloated, and over a couple of days my tummy goes like a cannon ball, then it "releases". (I'll spare the specifics.)

It takes me 2-3 weeks to get over that, so I just avoid like the plague now.

I didn't think I had an issue with gluten, but was told to go GF by the Endo I see for my wonky thyroid. After a number of months, I had a lightbulb moment that I felt, just better. At that point, I hadn't had bread for years, but gluten is sneakily in lots of things.

To repeat, I'm not suggesting gluten is your thing, but more describing how sneaky food intolerances can be, and how when we avoid said food, our sensitivity can have increased, because we're not used to it.

Just a (probably depressing for you) thought.
I dint know what I’d be sensitive too. this is my usual daily diet

1 x egg 1 rasher bacon 2 tomatoes slice cheese breakfast cooked in butter (have reduced this hugely recently

half mattessons sausage for lunch

if I need a snack the other half of mattessons plus depending on length of day 2 high meat sausages

night meal is usually meat and veg in varying forms of casserole etc.

not sure what else I could remove.

ill speak to dr. Thank you. I used to have ibs but that is hugely better if not gone.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dint know what I’d be sensitive too. this is my usual daily diet

1 x egg 1 rasher bacon 2 tomatoes slice cheese breakfast cooked in butter (have reduced this hugely recently

half mattessons sausage for lunch

if I need a snack the other half of mattessons plus depending on length of day 2 high meat sausages

night meal is usually meat and veg in varying forms of casserole etc.

not sure what else I could remove.

ill speak to dr. Thank you. I used to have ibs but that is hugely better if not gone.

You misunderstand me. I'm wondering if you are sensitive to something I need your treats? That could be where the withdrawal is coming from, not what's you are eating today.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
You misunderstand me. I'm wondering if you are sensitive to something I need your treats? That could be where the withdrawal is coming from, not what's you are eating today.
Oh you mean at Christmas etc. Possibly.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I have just realised something, over xmas I was eating oranges. If a big one is share with mum but I didn’t really eat fruit before that once diagnosed.
I tested and it did nothing so figured it was ok.
A couple weekends ago I bought two ore done tubs of fruit to take to cinema and ate one before I went.
Haven’t had much since but maybe just maybe that’s mucking me up.