1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Virgin Olive Oil and Med. Diet for Type 2.

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by catherinecherub, Jul 1, 2010.

1. catherinecherub

catherinecherub · Guest

2. PickledPepper

PickledPepper · Well-Known Member

I've been converted somewhat.

I love a nice piece of pan fried salmon (in olive oil of course) on a bed of mixed salad (must have rocket), cherry tomatoes and a few olives tossed in a mixture of olive oil, cider and balsamic vinegar. All topped off with a sprinkling of mixed nuts inc. sesame, pumpkin, sunflower and walnut.

Lovely.

But then so is a good spicy curry.....just a shame that I can't have anything more than a tiny amount of rice with it now.....groan..

3. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

That's good news then, been using virgin olive oil for some time now, great for cooking and using in dressing for salads and dips! :)

Nigel

4. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have used extra virgin olive oil for many a year on my salads etc - straight from my relatives in Italy - but I don't like it for cooking - I just don't like the taste it leaves on the food - I use rape seed oil for cooking if I need oil -but you can't beat the good old olive oil for dressings -especially with a dash of balsamic vinegar!

5. JasonS

JasonS · Newbie

:D Love Virgin olive oil. Like many of you I use it a lot on salads and in salad dressing that I make. Perfect with balsamic. :) Not thought of using rape seed for cooking as I do us olive oil but do not let it get too hot.

With this heat I have been sticking to a med. diet as I find I cannot eat too much with the heat. Anyone have any good salad receipies and/or dressings to pass on. :wink:

6. jane22

jane22 · Well-Known Member

Oh yummy , thats my favourite meal and we had it last night. I spend a couple of months a year in a harbour village on the med and have friends who have olive groves. We just love fresh olives drenched in olive oil with a wedge of wholemeal bread and a salad for lunch. I have also grown to love sword fish cooked in olive oil. We buy it fresh from the quayside. It has been noted that the people who live in this village regularly live very long lives, often into their 100's.

7. cavelioness

cavelioness Type 2 · Well-Known Member

chopped mint over your salads cant be beat on flavour

8. JasonS

JasonS · Newbie

cavelioness, thank you for that suggestion. I had some mint from the garden on a tomato, rocket and olive oil salad. Went down very well :)

9. pollyr

pollyr Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I can recommend the 'Slim and Healthy Mediterranean' book written by Judith Wills. loads of recipes - over 100.

Oil and vinegar dressing: 6 fl oz extra virgin olive oil, 3 tblsp red wine vinegar, l level tsp mustard powder, 1 level tsp sugar, add salt and plenty of black pepper. Combine all ingredients in a screw top jar and dressing will keep for weeks in fridge. Variations, add fresh chopped herbs such as tarragon, oregano, or thyme. Or add crushed garlic. Could also use white wine vinegar instead of red.

Polly

10. Roben

Roben · Newbie

I am planning to used Virgin Olive Oil

11. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

The mediterranean diet can be quite high in carbs, so anyone using that approach needs to keep a watch out. Also Olive oil doesn't do too well if you heat it, so isn't great for frying.
    Saturated fats are better for heating, they don't have any weak bonds to damage. Keep the olive oil for salad dressings.
    Hana

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook