Virtual DAFNE Course

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Time for an update. Earlier this week we had the first video conference using TEAMS - 4 participants plus our facilitator. As hoped for, it was lovely to meet some more T1s (though interestingly 2 participants are technically what's called here T3's both having had their pancreases removed). Me using a G6, one using a Libre 2, two on fingerpricks, but one using the Dario smart meter (first time I've come across this).

A lot on the background to DAFNE. I asked how it compared to BertieOnline. Our facilitator feels it is very equivalent to DAFNE and that when the NHS decided it wished to use a single training course, much of the reason DAFNE was chosen is that at the time it simply had published more research on its results than Bertie, so was easier to justify...

Personally, I am quickly remembering how much I hate paper logbooks, whether for BGs or food diaries, and also how much more I really hate having to re-enter the same info (BGs, food, macros, exercise, insulin, etc) across multiple sites and apps... I much prefer being a lazy sugar surfer!

That said, a few days in, it is definitely useful to have a structured course to help focus on improving my control.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Time for an update. Earlier this week we had the first video conference using TEAMS - 4 participants plus our facilitator. As hoped for, it was lovely to meet some more T1s (though interestingly 2 participants are technically what's called here T3's both having had their pancreases removed). Me using a G6, one using a Libre 2, two on fingerpricks, but one using the Dario smart meter (first time I've come across this).

A lot on the background to DAFNE. I asked how it compared to BertieOnline. Our facilitator feels it is very equivalent to DAFNE and that when the NHS decided it wished to use a single training course, much of the reason DAFNE was chosen is that at the time it simply had published more research on its results than Bertie, so was easier to justify...

Personally, I am quickly remembering how much I hate paper logbooks, whether for BGs or food diaries, and also how much more I really hate having to re-enter the same info (BGs, food, macros, exercise, insulin, etc) across multiple sites and apps... I much prefer being a lazy sugar surfer!

That said, a few days in, it is definitely useful to have a structured course to help focus on improving my control.
Yeah hate the paper system myself. Halfway through I just decided to update the paper diary the night before rather trying to update it in real time. Found this was much easier for me.

Reactions: oldgreymare

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...

So now in the middle of week two. Really good discussion between group members on our very varied experiences. We all felt the new DAFNE virtual course still has teething issues in terms of delivery mechanisms - having to register with multiple websites, then going back and forth to paper notebooks. Pragmatically trying get all of this to work is taking us probably double the time we were told to allow for the coursework.

I was very relieved to hear I wasn't the only one who really hates logging detailed food diaries especially by hand! That said, just the discipline of more accurate carb counting and tracking effects of insulin doses is highlighting to me an opportunity to fine tune my basal, plus ICR and ISF numbers. :bookworm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77