Visual field test

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, just looking for advice ive applied for my first licence (left it till i was 30) whilst at specsavers i asked for a visual field test as ive had quiet a bit if laser and wanted to see if id pass befire applying the lady saud that i should be accepted with those results (see picture) i spoke to dvla and they said my results have been scanned in and are being revied...is there a pass rate or an amount you have to hit in order to be accepted? And by looking at my results what do you think the likelihood i will be issued with on my diabetes management is fab ive almost completed DAFNE im desperate to start learning as my nan had another TIA (her 3rd in 2 weeks) last night and i really need to get learning (i know it will take time, but i need to learn now more than ever) thanks
31cfa85a3622c74c417e0d76b1b2d3d5.jpg

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've not seen this either..

However. I'll tag in @himtoo , who may have some knowledge of this stuff...?
Thank you i know the laser destroys your periph vision so it is used to check that the 2 i missed she said it may be due to the frame of my glasses

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you i know the laser destroys your periph vision so it is used to check that the 2 i missed she said it may be due to the frame of my glasses

I'll stick my neck out & give you a little hope.. I had an elderly neighbour blind in one eye that was fit to drive.

Looks like you only missed 2?
Did your optician advise you not to drive? ;)

Reactions: Soapybubs87

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll stick my neck out & give you a little hope.. I had an elderly neighbour blind in one eye that was fit to drive.

Looks like you only missed 2?
Did your optician advise you not to drive? ;)
No they did a distance test and i was fine i did the visual field test off my own back as i assumed due to laser they would want one, tbh i had lost all hope of ever learning to drive once i started having treatment but i thought id try you never know but now ive applied i realised how much i really really want it

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No they did a distance test and i was fine i did the visual field test off my own back as i assumed due to laser they would want one, tbh i had lost all hope of ever learning to drive once i started having treatment but i thought id try you never know but now ive applied i realised how much i really really want it

Ah, I see! Personally, with regards to DVLA. I only send them the information they require..

Sincerely wishing you all the best on this.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

It's gotta be said they've never asked for one from me - my optician does one for me but I'm not convinced the DVLA even know about my optican (and I think its mostly cos my left eye is now quite lazy (not entirely))

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's gotta be said they've never asked for one from me - my optician does one for me but I'm not convinced the DVLA even know about my optican (and I think its mostly cos my left eye is now quite lazy (not entirely))
Oh god so ive just shot myself in the foot i just assumed that because i ticked the retinopathy box they would want one, the dvla scares me haha

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't tell 'em I have diabetes. They make me read the eye chart with my glasses on. End of exam!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have this test as part of a normal eye test, although I have never seen a printout so I don't know my results. As a layman, looking at your results, they seem to be pretty good. I am sure many people would randomly miss 2 out of 120, I find it is difficult to keep up the concentration throughout the test. Also you did not miss adjacent points which presumably would be the case if you had any serious loss of vision. My personal opinion is that you should have nothing to worry about from that chart.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh god so ive just shot myself in the foot i just assumed that because i ticked the retinopathy box they would want one, the dvla scares me haha

Listen, don't panic. Did you give details of any relevant eye hospital consultants?
There's a possibility that DVLA will deem the submitted field test irrelevant to enquiries...? Only using what is on the DIAB1 form..

I know of two laser treated T1s (both bass players.) still holding a current UK driving license.. :)

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Listen, don't panic. Did you give details of any relevant eye hospital consultants?
There's a possibility that DVLA will deem the submitted field test irrelevant to enquiries...? Only using what is on the DIAB1 form..

I know of two laser treated T1s (both bass players.) still holding a current UK driving license.. :)
No when i applied i rang the dvla saying i had had a vision field test that morning and would it be worth sending that in aswell she said yeah so i emailed them the copy ive been dischargered from the retina unit now which is why i went to the opticians and just thought while i was there id jusy see if it was worth a shot

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have this test as part of a normal eye test, although I have never seen a printout so I don't know my results. As a layman, looking at your results, they seem to be pretty good. I am sure many people would randomly miss 2 out of 120, I find it is difficult to keep up the concentration throughout the test. Also you did not miss adjacent points which presumably would be the case if you had any serious loss of vision. My personal opinion is that you should have nothing to worry about from that chart.
I know how hard is it to keep focused in that thing

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't tell 'em I have diabetes. They make me read the eye chart with my glasses on. End of exam!
In the UK I believe we are required by law to tell the DVLA if we have a medical condition that may affect driving and this definitely includes diabetes controlled by insulin, so we don't really have much of a choice if we want to stay law-abiding.

Dark Horse

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
My visual field is much worse than yours, and I still passed the DVLA test. I don't think you have anything to worry about. If the DVLA are thinking of removing your driving license on eyesight grounds you would have to have failed one of their official tests (all done at Specsavers). I get tested every 3 years because I have glaucoma, which is progressive, but unless you have diabetic changes in your eyes you might not even need a repeat test.

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My visual field is much worse than yours, and I still passed the DVLA test. I don't think you have anything to worry about. If the DVLA are thinking of removing your driving license on eyesight grounds you would have to have failed one of their official tests (all done at Specsavers). I get tested every 3 years because I have glaucoma, which is progressive, but unless you have diabetic changes in your eyes you might not even need a repeat test.
Oh thank you thats reassuring!

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the UK I believe we are required by law to tell the DVLA if we have a medical condition that may affect driving and this definitely includes diabetes controlled by insulin, so we don't really have much of a choice if we want to stay law-abiding.
They ask that vague question to us too, I answer NO of course. But what I've heard on this forum is that in the UK if you're on insulin the NHS has to make sure it gets reported to the drivers bureau and something gets put on your license. Heck in this country your license is good until you're 65, could be 30 years with no eye exam, you could be deaf as a post blind as a bat. It's pretty loose.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
different country -- different system -- we are required by law to inform DVLA of conditions relating to fitness to drive