Visual insulin drops in cannula

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
Recently I've been noticing insulin droplets inside the plastic of my cannula insertion point. When I've changed it in the past sometimes the cannula needle has a kink on the end. But recently that hasn't been the case and the cannula has been inserted for longer than a day and no kink. Erratic blood sugars so it looks like insulin is building up inside the plastic casing and not going into me. It's now happened a few times this past week and I've rotated sites etc. does this happen with anyone else?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Megan - which sets are you using ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Ok so the t-slim should give you an occlusion alarm if insulin isn't being dispensed correctly at the infusion site so if there is a build up or kink then the pump alarm should let you know to check tubing and set to correct this, if you're levels are erratic this could something like poor site absorption or insulin is going off.

I didn't get on with plastic sets myself but for different reasons, lumps and sore site with using plastic, can you try the sure t set instead which is steel tip, your DSN should have a few spare you can try, will help you to discount issues with the autosoft then ?

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
Ok so the t-slim should give you an occlusion alarm if insulin isn't being dispensed correctly at the infusion site so if there is a build up or kink then the pump alarm should let you know to check tubing and set to correct this, if you're levels are erratic this could something like poor site absorption or insulin is going off.

I didn't get on with plastic sets myself but for different reasons, lumps and sore site with using plastic, can you try the sure t set instead which is steel tip, your DSN should have a few spare you can try, will help you to discount issues with the autosoft then ?

Ok thanks for the reply

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I see drops in the little window type area of the cannula I normally change it unless I've just come out of the shower or the like.

Reactions: megan

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the t slim autosoft 90 infusion set
I also use these, if my BG's are rising for no reason or the edge of the infusion set is getting damp (insulin smell) then I change them. I get maybe one a month ish or more if I have been working/resting on a site and causing the cannula to move in and out.

Last edited:
Reactions: megan