Vitamin B12 confusion

IncogKeto

I use Medichecks for all my private tests, and I've tested twice as being "greater than" 150pmol/L for active B12 - which of course could mean 151, or 2000; I'd really like to know the exact figure, if anyone knows of someone offering a test that isn't capped like that...?
I've been given values for all of the tests that I've had with Thriva, regardless of how they classify those results.
I'm now wondering about the lab where potteron's sample got tested. Is it just a coincidence that the reported value is the same as the upper limit of that lab's range, or is it possible that their test result was higher but it was clipped?
Well, this thread has just confirmed to me that there needs to be a standardised measurement for all these tests, even within the active or serum B12 there seem to be many different units used. You'd think they didn't want us to take an interest in our own health
Agreed! Although I'm hoping that it turns out that North America uses pg/mL and UK uses pmol/L.
I'd at least then stand a chance of not getting completely lost.

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been given values for all of the tests that I've had with Thriva, regardless of how they classify those results.
I'm now wondering about the lab where potteron's sample got tested. Is it just a coincidence that the reported value is the same as the upper limit of that lab's range, or is it possible that their test result was higher but it was clipped?

Agreed! Although I'm hoping that it turns out that North America uses pg/mL and UK uses pmol/L.
Just to add to confusion.
Mine is tested using Ng/l
Screenshot_2024-01-19-08-20-47-723-edit_com.nhs.online.nhsonline.jpg

Nanograms/L (200)
V
Picomol/mL (148)

Screenshot_2024-01-19-08-49-28-746_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Screenshot_2024-01-19-08-50-08-100-edit_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
[Quick note- you’ve written Picograms/mL when it should be Picomol/mL - I’ll edit this out when you’ve corrected it]
Cheers amended as You suggest.

Oddly I took measure from lower screenshot, but I guess screenshot one is the correct version..

LonelyFatGuy

Im waiting on a Randox test panel that I added active b12 too. I’ll update their range when I get it.
The providing of a range isn't the issue, it's that they cap people's test results at 150.

You can see from the second picture that they updated the reference range in Oct 2022, after I took the first test. So even though the upper end of the normal range increased, the test result itself remains capped at 150, for whatever reason.

04.08.22.jpg

25.10.23.jpg

• Informative

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

It’ll never happen

IncogKeto

Since my most recent test results arrived today I'll rather foolishly try to continue this thread.

So, over the past couple of years my numbers have been about:
Active B12 - 100 to 130 pmol/L
Total B12 - 300 to 380 pmol/L
IMG_0541.pngIMG_0542.png
During those two years I haven't been taking any B12 supplements. If those were your test results:
What would your thoughts be?
Would you try to increase those numbers and to what level?
How much would you supplement as the first 'trial and error' attempt to achieve those numbers?
Can you recommend a particular type or brand of supplement?

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak and Antje77

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The providing of a range isn't the issue, it's that they cap people's test results at 150.

You can see from the second picture that they updated the reference range in Oct 2022, after I took the first test. So even though the upper end of the normal range increased, the test result itself remains capped at 150, for whatever reason.

View attachment 65682

View attachment 65683
My Thriva active b12 results are in pmol/L and the range there is 37.5 to 188. As mine barely skimmed the bottom of the range I have no idea if they also cap the results. I wish mine were high enough to find out.

My nhs serum total b12 are in ng/L and merely say they should be >160

It‘s not unusual for different labs or countries to favour different units in blood tests. One reason it’s so important to remember to quotes the units being discussed as well as the number. So you can be sure you care comparing apples with apples, not pears.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since my most recent test results arrived today I'll rather foolishly try to continue this thread.

So, over the past couple of years my numbers have been about:
Active B12 - 100 to 130 pmol/L
Total B12 - 300 to 380 pmol/L
View attachment 65694View attachment 65695
During those two years I haven't been taking any B12 supplements. If those were your test results:
What would your thoughts be?
Would you try to increase those numbers and to what level?
How much would you supplement as the first 'trial and error' attempt to achieve those numbers?
Can you recommend a particular type or brand of supplement?
While I'd have to find out more about 'active' B12..I think I'd be inclined to look to a supplement to boost me up, and see where i was at next HBA1c blood tests.

I posted previously an interview with Sally pallochok.

And a mention was made in it of Japan 'range' & it's lower instances of dementia.

Not everyone's goal, perhaps but a measure maybe of a certain range levels effectiveness versus anothers ...though clearly not so simple or so black & white.

It led me to this link, which I had already posted up, but to save looking back I'll repost here.

Well worth a minute or two reading, I think.

• Useful
Reactions: Outlier and HSSS

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A thought occurred to me shortly after DX.

That IF the only advice previously was a version of the Eatwell, and prepare for predictable injuries, then any data regarding life expectancy, strokes, heart attacks would I think follow the same trend over decades .

Same advice, same outcome

But when alternative diets ride into town, which weren't offered as treatment potentials to new T2D's (well certainly not to me)

And, by the lack of interest mine & others quite impressive reversals of the norm, caused, I suspect no one takes much note of the odd one or two bucking the trend.

On which note this discussion on B12, made me think.

It seems some doctors don't consider B12 when diagnosing some illnesses, and the ranges mean many who are low, get an "everything's fine" rating ..until it isn't.

So tying historical data together,,

Could it be, that if you keto or low carb , the historical data may be skewed badly by the larger number just eating the Eatwell diet , with all the expected results ,
That perhaps that keto / low carb crowd are avoiding.

Is it then possible, the fact Metformin CAN impact B12, is actually what causes T2D to be more at risk of heart attacks & strokes etc,

And actually be the silent killer attacking diabetics, left ignorant of it's importance.?

Concerning, that despite their best efforts to limit the chances of all the above, many may simply be treating the wrong disease , while the B12 is where they should look to limit such risks ?

Reactions: Speedbird

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A thought occurred to me shortly after DX.

That IF the only advice previously was a version of the Eatwell, and prepare for predictable injuries, then any data regarding life expectancy, strokes, heart attacks would I think follow the same trend over decades .

Same advice, same outcome

But when alternative diets ride into town, which weren't offered as treatment potentials to new T2D's (well certainly not to me)

And, by the lack of interest mine & others quite impressive reversals of the norm, caused, I suspect no one takes much note of the odd one or two bucking the trend.

On which note this discussion on B12, made me think.

It seems some doctors don't consider B12 when diagnosing some illnesses, and the ranges mean many who are low, get an "everything's fine" rating ..until it isn't.

So tying historical data together,,

Could it be, that if you keto or low carb , the historical data may be skewed badly by the larger number just eating the Eatwell diet , with all the expected results ,
That perhaps that keto / low carb crowd are avoiding.

Is it then possible, the fact Metformin CAN impact B12, is actually what causes T2D to be more at risk of heart attacks & strokes etc,

And actually be the silent killer attacking diabetics, left ignorant of it's importance.?

Concerning, that despite their best efforts to limit the chances of all the above, many may simply be treating the wrong disease , while the B12 is where they should look to limit such risks ?
I’ve heard about low b12 being misdiagnosed as ME, chronic fatigue, parkinsons, Alzheimer’s and more

I’m not sure it‘s the whole story about CVD being down to metformin depleted B12 but I bet it’s at least part of the story for diabetes complications

minervaT2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My NHS B12 came back in pmol/L and range used is again very different to other NHS pmol/L???
Plasma vitamin B12 level
Mine >128pmol/L 'abnormal'
Normal range 51-128

• Informative

Kiwigal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My B12 serum is 185 pmol/l (comment: Low-normal B12).

B12 Active is 98 pmol/l.

And I do get B12 deficiency symptoms. But not yet ended up B12 deficiency.

B12 deficiency runs in both side of my parents families.