Vitamin C supplements and diabetes

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since covid began, and following a recommendation a from Dr who appears on several of the diabetes videos etc (think it was Malcom Kendrick), I have been taking a daily supplement of 1000mg of Vitamin C, which is a high dose.
Since 2 and a half years have passed I thought I should review whether I still need to take it.
I haven't had covid, so maybe it did help there, but I remember reading somewhere that high vitamin c can affect libre somehow
Google just has so much contradictory info that I thought I'd ask the very knowledgeable diabetes people on here their views on vitamin c and diabetes

Your thoughts experts?

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I supplement C as it’s helps with collagen synthesis and it’s a great antioxidant. I haven’t noticed if it changes anything with regards to BG levels, but I think if it did, I would have.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like Laodan, when supplementing high doses of vitamin c I haven’t noticed any impact on my blood sugars, but there are some studies that claim high doses can reduce blood sugars. This is one of them.

DavidDK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you use the Freestyle Libre or Freestyle Libre 2 flash glucose monitors or a Freestyle Libre 3 continuous glucose monitor, you should be aware taking more than 500mg per day of vitamin C may affect the accuracy of the glucose readings you get from the Libre glucose monitoring system.

Apparently Abbott are supposed to be trying to fix this issue (at least for he Freestyle Libre 3).

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since covid began, and following a recommendation a from Dr who appears on several of the diabetes videos etc (think it was Malcom Kendrick), I have been taking a daily supplement of 1000mg of Vitamin C, which is a high dose.

You sure they didn't say vitamin D?

There were a few studies early on with Vit D deficiency being correlated to worse outcomes.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I supplement C as it’s helps with collagen synthesis and it’s a great antioxidant. I haven’t noticed if it changes anything with regards to BG levels, but I think if it did, I would have.
What amount do you take, please?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You sure they didn't say vitamin D?

There were a few studies early on with Vit D deficiency being correlated to worse outcomes.
I was supplementing vitamin D as well, but have stopped that as am outside everyday in the summer. I will resume in the winter

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you use the Freestyle Libre or Freestyle Libre 2 flash glucose monitors or a Freestyle Libre 3 continuous glucose monitor, you should be aware taking more than 500mg per day of vitamin C may affect the accuracy of the glucose readings you get from the Libre glucose monitoring system.

Apparently Abbott are supposed to be trying to fix this issue (at least for he Freestyle Libre 3).
Can you point me to more info on this? Anytime I have used a libre (only occasionally due to cost) I was supplementing at a high level, but didn't notice any accuracy issues...unless every one was inaccurate to the same degree

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it OK to continue taking such a high level indefinitely, ?
Are there any studies anywhere etc?

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
What amount do you take, please?
1000mg, it comes in an orange flavor dissolvable tablet, drop it in a cup of water and drink

DavidDK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you point me to more info on this? Anytime I have used a libre (only occasionally due to cost) I was supplementing at a high level, but didn't notice any accuracy issues...unless every one was inaccurate to the same degree

The following is posted on the Libre manufacturer's US website:

e5699d2d-adba-4a71-8c03-8ff7f0c3ebaa-jpeg.35309

Also, the below is posted on YouTube by the well known diabetes vlogger, Nerdabetic:

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Do you take supplements because your low carb?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the info.
As I stated in the OP, I have been taking 1000mg supplements daily for 2 and a half years.
I took them to be healthier if I did get covid, to aid slow healing, to replace the vitamin c from the fruit I no longer eat, and becuase they don't cause harm
I have noticed no side effects., nor any negative effects.
When I use a libre, my readings are all within the 4-8 range, unless I eat something carby. I don't get the raised figures that Abbot say may occur
I have escaped Covid (so far, fingers crossed)
I can't find anything that says I shouldn't carry on talking them long term
I can't find anything that says I should carry on taking them long term

So, I'm no further forward in my review. I've just started a new bottle. I may break the tablets in half, or just go alternate days while I do more research.

Unless anyone else knows differently.... keeping thread open