Vitamin D deficiency

Defren

Hi again Mac. Yes, I have been tested for Iron and Vit D deficiency and I have both. I have been on Ferrous Sulphate 200mg x 3 times a day for ages. I was supposed to only be on the FS for three months, but as soon as I came off them, my iron levels plummeted again. I eat quite a bit of food with iron in it as well, but my body has trouble storing it, so tends to use it as soon as I take the supplement or have a meal with an iron content. The Vit D was tested at the same time as my diabetes test. I am picking up supplements on a script from my Doctor today (Monday).

The fatigue really is bad, and the ironic thing is, it's 2:28am here now and I am wide awake, as soon as the tiredness hits (anytime now) I will go to bed then even after sleeping a solid 8 hours struggle to get up. I make myself get up, as I could easily sleep the clock round, which is no good for anyone. I am so hoping the supplements will make a difference, as this is crazy. Not tired when sensible people are in bed, then can't wake up. (the late nights, are not regular, it just depends how my sleeping (I can't say pattern as I don't have one)) has been the preceding days. Some days, most days I do go to bed at a sensible time, but again just can't wake up. I can deal with the diabetes as I have control over that, but the fatigue is mentally wearing me down.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you got a reason why you are anaemic Defren? I had a fibroid which was causing heavy bleeding and I also had IBS-D which meant that I wasn't absorbing the nutrients from my food (mostly cured by cutting out wheat from my diet). I was out of breath when I was walking up slight slopes, which when I went to the doctor with a sore throat that wouldn't go away - the doctor did a load of blood tests (although not Vitamin D :evil: ) and I was diagnosed with Type 2 with a HbA1C of 7.7% which was lower than it should have been because of the lack of red blood cells. Over 4 years on I still take 200mg Ferrous sulphate a day.

Hopefully when you get your vitamin D supplement you will feel loads better very soon. From my experience, I'd still say that this won't be enough vitamin D and I supplement extra with Dlux http://www.betteryou.uk.com/d-lux-1000- ... pid24.html

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
I am passionate about supplementing with vitamin D3. The only irregular test results I had at diagnosis was D3 which was lower that desirable. I researched and chose to supplement. I do not believe that the RDA is good enough.
I live in the Land Down Under where sunshine is plentiful. So why am I deficient?
My skin doctor said to expose parts of my body that normally do not see the sun eg lower back, stomach etc............ I choose to suppement as sandflies and mossies are an issue here.
My research tells me that 4000 ius is closer to the mark than 400 ius.
Suffiency of Vit D helps with weight loss. My son who winters in Austria tells me that most winter athletes supplement with Vit D.
Alison

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Mac-Nutrition said:
Defren said:
Thank you so much for the information Mac. I was reading through it, and some one (sorry useless with names) asked if vitamin D deficiency could cause problems. Mac, I suffer from the most terrible fatigue. It's nothing like ordinary tiredness, I will be sitting and all of a sudden am fighting to stay awake. When I go to bed at night, I can easily sleep 13+ hours and still be exhausted. I did read somewhere fatigue is a symptom of Vit D deficiency. I would love to hear your opinion. Thanks in advance.
Hi Defren,

No problem at all. As has been said above, fatigue is most certainly a possible symptom of Vit D deficiency.. I saw a paper on this very recently, not sure if people care about the studies but can post it/a link if people are. Have you had any blood tests as its best not to jump on one off the cuff diagnosis... iron obviously also springs to mind.

Mac

We like links, Mac, if you would be so good as to post it, please. Do you have anything on Vit D requirements for older adults? I think I said somewhere above, I seem to remember reading that the older we get the less efficient we are at manufacturing Vit D.

Viv 8)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Vitamin D is AWESOME stuff. I did suppliment with it a while back (when I was feeling pretty terrible) and did so at 10,000iu a day. After a fortnight, I felt remarkably well.

I was taking the liquid caps of Vit D.

I keep meaning to buy more - I can genuinely feel an improvement in my mood/well-being when taking Vit D.

Let me repeat that - when I take Vit D, I feel GREAT. How many drugs/vits can you say that about???

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
+1

I left my last bottle at my daughters a few weeks back. I ordered more but within days, I'd picked up a simple infection for the fist time in the three years I've been taking D3. I felt grotty but was on the mend after 24 hours and when I got my order through, I immediately felt better once re-commencing it.

My daughter takes it, my son takes it and my three grandchildren take it and it has made a huge difference to them. The middle one, Kit, was susceptible to febrile convulsions, not life threatening but incredibly traumatic and we were all on edge every time she picked something up. Now, if they get a bug, it's over and done with in a day.

wiflib

Defren

WOW!! Reading all your Vit D stories has really cheered me up. My daughter has just popped to the chemist to fill my script so will be taking my first supplement today. It seems this finally could be the answer to my chronic fatigue. I can't wait to update you all. Thank you so much.

NutritionalScientist

Defren said:
WOW!! Reading all your Vit D stories has really cheered me up. My daughter has just popped to the chemist to fill my script so will be taking my first supplement today. It seems this finally could be the answer to my chronic fatigue. I can't wait to update you all. Thank you so much.
What dosage of Vitamin D will you be taking?

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
These are the ones I use (and will buy again!):

HOG-15356-0.jpg

I was taking 1 a day. When I start again, I'll take 2 a day for a couple of days to kick start the benefits. :thumbup:

(Although at one point I was taking 50,000IU (in powdered capsule form), but I didn't get the same benefit from those as I did the liquid/gel caps).

Defren

))Denise(( said:
Have you got a reason why you are anaemic Defren? I had a fibroid which was causing heavy bleeding and I also had IBS-D which meant that I wasn't absorbing the nutrients from my food (mostly cured by cutting out wheat from my diet). I was out of breath when I was walking up slight slopes, which when I went to the doctor with a sore throat that wouldn't go away - the doctor did a load of blood tests (although not Vitamin D :evil: ) and I was diagnosed with Type 2 with a HbA1C of 7.7% which was lower than it should have been because of the lack of red blood cells. Over 4 years on I still take 200mg Ferrous sulphate a day.

Hopefully when you get your vitamin D supplement you will feel loads better very soon. From my experience, I'd still say that this won't be enough vitamin D and I supplement extra with Dlux http://www.betteryou.uk.com/d-lux-1000- ... pid24.html

Hi Denise, No, no reason for the iron deficiency, no one has ever checked it out. I just know that as soon as I stop the supplements my iron levels crash, hence taking them for so long. My Doctor does prescribe them and always has, so it's not just me thinking I am still deficient. I think he was about to investigate just as I was diagnosed diabetic, so everything has been put on hold until we get that sorted out. My diagnostic HbA1c was 7.0.

Defren

Patch said:
These are the ones I use (and will buy again!):

HOG-15356-0.jpg

I was taking 1 a day. When I start again, I'll take 2 a day for a couple of days to kick start the benefits. :thumbup:

(Although at one point I was taking 50,000IU (in powdered capsule form), but I didn't get the same benefit from those as I did the liquid/gel caps).

Thanks Patch. I am not sure which I will be taking. My daughter has just gone off to get my script filled, so will know when she gets home.

Defren

Mac-Nutrition said:
Defren said:
What dosage of Vitamin D will you be taking?

Not sure Mac, daughter will be home soon, and I will post the dosage.

NutritionalScientist

viviennem said:
Mac-Nutrition said:
Defren said:
Thank you so much for the information Mac. I was reading through it, and some one (sorry useless with names) asked if vitamin D deficiency could cause problems. Mac, I suffer from the most terrible fatigue. It's nothing like ordinary tiredness, I will be sitting and all of a sudden am fighting to stay awake. When I go to bed at night, I can easily sleep 13+ hours and still be exhausted. I did read somewhere fatigue is a symptom of Vit D deficiency. I would love to hear your opinion. Thanks in advance.
Hi Defren,

No problem at all. As has been said above, fatigue is most certainly a possible symptom of Vit D deficiency.. I saw a paper on this very recently, not sure if people care about the studies but can post it/a link if people are. Have you had any blood tests as its best not to jump on one off the cuff diagnosis... iron obviously also springs to mind.

Mac

We like links, Mac, if you would be so good as to post it, please. Do you have anything on Vit D requirements for older adults? I think I said somewhere above, I seem to remember reading that the older we get the less efficient we are at manufacturing Vit D.

Viv 8)

Hi Viv,

This was the paper I saw: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20642395

I've seen the 'fact' stated that older people are less able to synthesize vitamin D but I've never actually seen any 'proof' as it were. I've seen references given such as: http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/85/11/4125.long and http://content.karger.com/produktedb/produkte.asp?DOI=71707&typ=pdf but having read the full papers previsouly there was no mention of this?! :crazy:

I have a personal theory that people not eating enough fat or even worse, taking statins might actually screw with the synthesis of Vitamin D due to the cholesterol pathways being disrupted...

Defren

I have my prescription. It is Adcal-03 Calcium Carbonate (750mg) Vitamin D-3 (200 I.U.) twice daily. I will also be taking my muti vit which contains Vit D. Can't wait to see (hopefully) the improvement.

NutritionalScientist

Defren said:
I have my prescription. It is Adcal-03 Calcium Carbonate (750mg) Vitamin D-3 (200 I.U.) twice daily. I will also be taking my muti vit which contains Vit D. Can't wait to see (hopefully) the improvement.

[Mod edit (Pneu): Medical / Health advice is not permitted on this forum]

Defren

Mac-Nutrition said:
Defren said:
[Mod edit (Pneu): Medical / Health advice is not permitted on this forum]

I know Mac, that's why I said hopefully see a difference. I am also going to start taking a cod liver capsule a day, as I need to get this fatigue under control, so the more Vit D the merrier.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I hope it works for you, Defren. It sounds like something a friend of mine was given for osteoporosis; in her case it caused chronic constipation, so I hope it doesn't do that to you :shock: .

I buy my Vit D3 via e-bay, as my surgery hasn't got round to it yet. I also take magnesium regularly to help with blood pressure. As far as I'm aware one can't OD with that, any excess is excreted.

Mac, I see you are wary of statins. Some people seem okay on them, but I've had muscle pain side-effects and now won't take them. My liver has enough to cope with without adding statins to its load! :lol: Have you seen Duane Graveline's website (spacedoc.net), or Stephanie Seneff's paper on statins and Alzheimer's? I don't know her link, but just Google her name and you'll get there. Any comments would be appreciated; I'm no scientist, just a lay person with an intelligent (I hope!) interest. I do try to check things, but sometimes its not easy.

Viv 8)

Defren

viviennem said:
I hope it works for you, Defren. It sounds like something a friend of mine was given for osteoporosis; in her case it caused chronic constipation, so I hope it doesn't do that to you :shock: .

I buy my Vit D3 via e-bay, as my surgery hasn't got round to it yet. I also take magnesium regularly to help with blood pressure. As far as I'm aware one can't OD with that, any excess is excreted.

Mac, I see you are wary of statins. Some people seem okay on them, but I've had muscle pain side-effects and now won't take them. My liver has enough to cope with without adding statins to its load! :lol: Have you seen Duane Graveline's website (spacedoc.net), or Stephanie Seneff's paper on statins and Alzheimer's? I don't know her link, but just Google her name and you'll get there. Any comments would be appreciated; I'm no scientist, just a lay person with an intelligent (I hope!) interest. I do try to check things, but sometimes its not easy.

Viv 8)

Thanks Viv, I will let you know how I go. I also take statins and so far (touch wood) no problems. I have had tummy troubles but that has been with the Metformin.

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
I checked out constipation and Vit D3 supplements and could not find a link through the internet searches. It is a curious one. I have supplemented big time and have not had any evidence personally. Think that Viv's friend might have had something else going on.
I use D3 drops.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've seen calcium as a remedy for IBS-D, so that could be where Viv's friend has a problem with constipation. I've got a friend who takes the Calcichew to prevent osteoporosis and she doesn't have any problems. I don't have any problems with them either, but maybe they are helping with my IBS-D problems.