Vitamin E.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Catherine,

anyone who is deficient in Vit E may need supplements, others need to take Vit E supplements to catalyse the activity of other supplements. This study does not mention what they consider to be a safe dosage and hence the info provides very limited practical advice.

(IMHO) Steve

C

catherinecherub

Hi Steve,

IMHO this study is trying to ascertain who will benefit from Vitamin E supplementation and they do conclude that ,
"The researchers are now building sets of criteria that details under what conditions Vit. E supplementation should be taken. They are also investigating the chemical mechanism of antioxidants in general to understand how they work".

It really concerns me when I read of people taking a cocktail of vitamins and other supplements without understanding the pros and cons of what they are doing or even understanding that there can be side effects and that is why I posted this article.

Catherine.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Catherine thanks for that and I appreciate and understand your concerns.
I have such issues personally.
The problem is that the HP's I have access to will offer basic dietary advice and basic medication for bog standard diabetes problems.
The standard response for resolving complications, is to get your BG's down and everything will fall into place, or else they say it will get you in the end regardless!!.
So - I end up researching and hence I have to admit I take supplements to resolve mild neuropathy and others.
(Benfotiamine, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Vit C, Milk Thistle, Omega3, Vit B Complex, Evening Primrose Oil)
The EPO comes with 6.6mg of Vit E and the Omega3 comes with 10mg of Vit E, which I do not understand why they are included, but just ignore their presence as superfluous to requirements and hopefully harmless!!.
:? :? :?
Steve.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I think the Vit E is a carrier to allow the absorption of the EPO.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I see you mention Omega 3. Is this Omacor ? Is this a prescription version Steve ?

Omacor, a lipid-regulating agent, is supplied as a liquid-filled gel capsule for oral administration.
Each one gram capsule of Omacor (omega-3-acid ethyl esters) contains at least 900 mg of the
ethyl esters of omega-3 fatty acids. These are predominantly a combination of ethyl esters of
eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA - approximately 465 mg) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA -
approximately 375 mg).

Omacor capsules also contain the following inactive ingredients: 4 mg a-tocopherol (in a carrier of
partially hydrogenated vegetable oils including soybean oil), and gelatin, glycerol, and purified
water (components of the capsule shell).

I can find no mention of Vit E included in the ingredients. I have been on them for years and never seen that on any of the PIL's included either.

The other thing is that the Scottish Medical Consortium do not recommend Omacor for use in the NHS Scotland. :?:

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ken,

On diagnosis, my trigs were 7.7. Didnt mean much to me, until I was warned that "normal" is less than 2 and mine were shocking!. I researched how best to get them down and the obvious number one was to lower BG. I then started eating 4 portions of oily fish per week until I read that you should eat only 2 portions per week as a lot of these fish contained high dosages of pollutants especially mercury. So I reduced to 2 portions per week, but as I had made great inroads to reduce my trigs (less than one now!), I wanted to supplement the Omega3 that I had reduced, so I decided to take a daily Omega3 (not very scientific I am afraid!). So its an unprescribed cheap and cheerful version which I buy from Poundland!!. It's a bit suck it and see (or some may say poke and hope) :(

Steve.