Vitamins & Supplements

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I've bought some R Lipoic Acid today and they come in 100mg each, how many should I take? Shall I start with just one a day? Thanks

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine are also 100g. It says on the bottle to take either one or two tablets a day. I take two. One at lunch and one at evening meal.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
R-ala is so much better absorbed that 100-200mg is a good daily dose. It's expensive stuff but you get what you pay for. I've tried several and am now sticking to Doctors Best off Amazon. It really has helped the neuropathy in my feet
There is a company called Iherb.com who are US based and ship worldwide but a word of caution, I bought some recently at an unbelievable price but got hit with a £16 customs charge when the postie delivered it.
I've also got some cheap R/S mix variety which I use as a top up now and again.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am a huge fan of ALA, and I really notice the difference if I take it or not, regarding the neuropathy in my feet playing up (ie feeling internal burning sensations). I don't even need R-ALA apparently, for it to work wonderfully. Of all the supplements I have taken since diagnosis, this is the only one that made a real noticeable difference in my physical sensations - that and magnesium supplements to deal with cramping (it did as in I don't get cramping when I take magnesium from time to time.)

Right at the beginning, when I was going off sugar and carbs (gradually over time actually, from moderate carbs to low carbs over about a year), gymnema sylvestre (excuse spelling) and olive leaf extract, eating a lot of cinnamon - helped with sugar withdrawal and clearing candida out of my gut.

I have tried various other supplements, like milk thistle, and who knows if they helped? Because I don't. But above, I know they did, and do. So worth the money and pill popping.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Begonia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Juicetin,
Glad to hear the r-ala is still helping your neuropathy. I've been taking it for about 4 weeks now (100mg three times per day) and I'm convinced it is helping my neuropathy also. It has also helped bring my FBG down (as per Dr Bernstein who says it reduces blood sugar in some people)

The mix R/S at 600mg did nothing for me.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Begonia I tried some of the Germany stuff mentioned on here recently, within 3 days of taking it my neuropathy returned as bad as ever. Too much of a coincidence...so I've ordered some more of the Doctor's Best which seemed to work for me.
I still have the strange feeling in my feet, it hasn't gone away, but the pain that went with it has subsided, which I'm convinced has to do with the ALA.

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks all for your comments on R-lipoic acid, I would never have heard of it if I hadn't posted the question on here. Will give it a go and let you know if I notice any difference in my health. I don't suffer from neuropathy but want to take it for the benefits as it's linked to a lot of benefits even to protect against cancer.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"CLA isn't the same as R-alpha lipoic acid is it?"

No it's not the same at all.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just wondering if any one has tried Bioenhanced Na R-Lipoic acid? and is it any different to normal R alpha Lipoic Acid.?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
B vitamins raise my bs believe it or not. I avoid the niacin.

One thing I have noticed with R ALA is if I take it when I take insulin it seems to make me more insulin sensative but if I take it away from insulin I rise a tad. Not sure how the timing would effect type 2

Reactions: Freema

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hello all. I've now started taking R-Lipoic Acid (they are not cheap at £20 for a pot of x60 100mg each). I take one a day. Haven't noticed a huge difference in my health but will continue with them as I've done a bit of researching on it and it does sound like a very good antioxidant so got to give it a try. I also take one daily Co-Q10 because I'm on statins.

Are there any reasons why I shouldn't be taking R-Lipoic Acid? I haven't mentioned I'm taking them to my GP yet.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all. I've now started taking R-Lipoic Acid (they are not cheap at £20 for a pot of x60 100mg each). I take one a day. Haven't noticed a huge difference in my health but will continue with them as I've done a bit of researching on it and it does sound like a very good antioxidant so got to give it a try. I also take one daily Co-Q10 because I'm on statins.

Are there any reasons why I shouldn't be taking R-Lipoic Acid? I haven't mentioned I'm taking them to my GP yet.

You are more likely to see a benefit if you take 2 x 100mg tablets a day.
£20 sounds a lot. I didn't pay that much and I have R-ALA in pots of 60 x 100mg. Perhaps you need to surf round a bit. Mine are made by Swanson.

Reactions: carina62

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks, will have a look at Swanson when I next re-order. I bought these from EBay called Dr's Best.

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Swanson aren't cheap, but if you surf around you will find some cheaper than £20.

I have been recently taking R-alpha lipoic acid (x1 100mg daily). I am just wondering if it is OK to take if you have a fatty liver (which I have). I am due for my diabetic review soon and will discuss taking this with the GP. I also take Co Q10 as I am on statins.

I just want to know the pros and cons of taking R-alpha lipoic acid as I have read quite a few articles on how good it is but what do the 'bad' reports say about this?

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks. I have started SW this week to lose weight to improve my diabetes and fatty liver disease. I need to do this once and for all to improve my health as I have battled with my weight all of my adult life.

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I ask what brand of alpha lipoic acid you take? I'll research this further as it does sound interesting.
/www.naturesbest.co.uk/alpha-lipoic-acid-300mg-p563/?SRC=GOMISC&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuImNr5mf1QIVz7DtCh1DUgJJEAAYAS I bought the above Alpha Linoic acid for my husband as he has been suffering from what we belive to have been the shingles virus and we were recommended this to help with 'nerve pain'. He takes 600mg per day but if you are on medication for diabetes (he isn't) then you need to check that it won't affect what you are already taking.

I'd always buy organic vitamins and a good quality multi-vitamin may be all that you need to supplement diet. Taking Metaformin can inhibit the absorption of Vitamin B12 so a supplement of that might be beneficial. As for Vitamin D the best way to absorb that is expose your skin to sunlight for around 15 minutes each day :)

For a general purpose 'vitamin or tonic' that won't interfere with prescribed medications then I would suggest looking for a Homeopathic remedy. Try having a look at the Helios site-if you phone them they are happy to give free phone advice and I have always found them very helpful.

Reactions: carina62