Viv's Modified Atkins Diet

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Been doing slimming world extra easy since before diagnosis (2 weeks since D-day and 8 weeks dieting, lost 15.5lb so far) Am finding spikes left right and centre with the foods 'allowed' with SW food optimising. As pasta, potatoes, rice and noodles are 'free' then I dont think its particularly diabetes friendly, so am going to try this ;) x
If you talk to the slimming world leader they can modify the diet for diabetics

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
Novomix 30, Victoza, metformin 2000mg sr (but not taking them as they play havoc with my insides,

Seano

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Brussels, People who can't do their jobs properly
Very new to this but want to get the carbs down, one question i have is how do you use cauli in place of rice ? i love pasta and rice so they will take some getting rid of, I really do need to go low carb as my levels are very unstable and since going on Gliclazide along with Metformin they have increased and I have started to put more weight on, (just what I need....not) I really do need to get this sorted as I also suffer with congestive heart failure so weight is a big factor in my life, great forum BTW

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
@Seano - have a look in the low-carb diet section. Essentially you should grate a head of cauliflower and then fry it in butter with salt and pepper to taste. You need quite a lot of butter, but is actually really good.

You could also microwave it if you wanted to but where's the fun in that?

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 2 people

davestretty

Very new to this but want to get the carbs down, one question i have is how do you use cauli in place of rice ? i love pasta and rice so they will take some getting rid of, I really do need to go low carb as my levels are very unstable and since going on Gliclazide along with Metformin they have increased and I have started to put more weight on, (just what I need....not) I really do need to get this sorted as I also suffer with congestive heart failure so weight is a big factor in my life, great forum BTW
I followed Atkins diet about 8 years ago but only for about three months as I was having too much stomach and bowel problem. During that time I lost about 1 stone in weight (may have been water mainly) . Immediately put the weight back on when I resumed a normal (but still lowish carb ) diet. Very shortly afterwards I was diagnosed with diabetes. Don't know for sure if this was related but I have read that a very high protein/fat diet can lead to this. Now 6 years later I've gone through the tablet and diet treament, metformin, byetta, victoza and basal only insulin, none of which worked well. Now use Humulog mix 50 along with low carb. During this time my weight remained pretty constant, but as soon as I started the Humulog I put 12kg on which I cannot shift and blood glucose still unpredictable and high. Very fed up with it all

Seano

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Brussels, People who can't do their jobs properly
@Seano - have a look in the low-carb diet section. Essentially you should grate a head of cauliflower and then fry it in butter with salt and pepper to taste. You need quite a lot of butter, but is actually really good.

You could also microwave it if you wanted to but where's the fun in that?

Best

Dillinger

Cheers for that Dillinger, found a similar method during a search ;)

I followed Atkins diet about 8 years ago but only for about three months as I was having too much stomach and bowel problem. During that time I lost about 1 stone in weight (may have been water mainly) . Immediately put the weight back on when I resumed a normal (but still lowish carb ) diet. Very shortly afterwards I was diagnosed with diabetes. Don't know for sure if this was related but I have read that a very high protein/fat diet can lead to this. Now 6 years later I've gone through the tablet and diet treament, metformin, byetta, victoza and basal only insulin, none of which worked well. Now use Humulog mix 50 along with low carb. During this time my weight remained pretty constant, but as soon as I started the Humulog I put 12kg on which I cannot shift and blood glucose still unpredictable and high. Very fed up with it all

I hear what your saying davestretty, before being put on Glic I was unstable but relatively low until my Hb went up from 70 to 84 has caused me no end of problems with having surgeries knocked back because of my levels on the day :mad:

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I think I must be lucky , Ive reduced my carb intake ( have some but much smaller portions) switched to diet drinks and now added in 30mins exercise a day , my sugars are good and for the first time in ages I feel great

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

juliekem

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Please find below a version of the Atkins Induction diet that I simplified to send to my brother. That version was for weight loss; I've modified it a bit for diabetes.

It works for me; when I was on it before (2004/05) I lost 50lb in the first 6 months, 5.5 stone in 18 months, and I have never felt better. I was also doing about 25 miles weekly walking the Irish Wolfhound exercise machine. Then the dog died :cry: , I started eating carbs again, and now I'm back where I started. My doctor monitored me carefully throughout; my blood pressure dropped to 120/75, and though my total cholesterol would have been considered high for a diabetic at 5.4, my total:HDL ratio was 3.3, and my triglycerides were 0.65. All that is now to do again, plus managing the diabetes, but the first 2 stone is off already and the blood glucose levels are nicely down. Only 6 more stone to go! :)

WARNING!
This is a high-fat, low-carb diet and is not suitable for everyone. Some people can't eat fat for medical reasons, other people simply can't tolerate it, so think about it carefully.

Basic low-carb diet

Golden Rules: eat at least 3 times a day, more if you want. DON'T over-eat. Snacking is fine, but stick to protein (meat, fish, cheese, eggs). Make sure you eat fat - it's essential to make the diet work.

Drink at least 2 litres of water every day. Tap water is fine.

Read all food labels.

OKAY

all fresh meat types - lamb, beef, pork, chicken, duck, turkey, goose, venison and other game;

all fish; oily fish is particularly good, eg tuna, mackerel, salmon. Tinned is okay. Shellfish too, except oysters; smoked is okay (check the labels).

processed meat, eg sausage, burgers, ham, bacon, corned beef etc, but check for carb content on the label (eg no breadcrumbed ham, or honey roast ham);sausage and burger with maximum meat content and minimum carbohydrate; smoked and processed meats are okay but read the labels for nasty chemicals;

butter, olive oil etc

eggs

dairy - use very little milk (contains some carbohydrate) but butter, cream and hard cheese (up to 4oz daily) are okay. Also live unsweetened yoghurt;

salad veg, eg all lettuce types, toms, peppers, cucumber, radishes - a total of 8oz salad per day

other veg - all green leafy veg, asparagus, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, courgettes, aubergines, fennel, leeks, onions, green beans - a total of 8oz per day. Some of these contain higher amounts of carbs (eg tomatoes, leeks & onions, which contain some sugar) but are okay in moderate quantities (so don't eat a whole tin of tomatoes with your sausages!).

Avocado once a week, if liked. Very good for you. Also a handful of olives occasionally. Not stuffed!

Salad dressings, chutneys etc as long as minimum carb - read the labels.
Mayonnaise is fine - I use Hellman's. NB not low-fat.

Rhubarb is okay! Sweeten stewed rhubarb with dissolved Splenda tablets and eat with cream or live natural yoghurt. Don't eat every day, and don't go mad!

Sweetener - I use Splenda, tablets in drinks; dissolve them for other things. The granulated contains maltodextrin which affects blood glucose. Other sweeteners are available, of course.

With curry or casserole, use cauliflower instead of rice or potatoes. Very good!

AVOID

All starchy vegetables eg potatoes, carrots, swede, turnip, sweetcorn, beans, peas, broad beans; all dried pulses. This list is not comprehensive!

No sugar – does that need saying?

Anything that contains flour - bread, cakes, biscuits, cream crackers, pastry, sauces (eg cheese) and thick gravies. No pasta, rice or cereals except for occasional All-bran, eaten with very little milk. Oat bran (obtainable from health food shops) can be used as a thickener, also sprinkled on things (eg inside an omelette with the filling, or with stewed rhubarb) to aid against constipation. The rhubarb will help there too.

(Fibre eg bran isn't absorbed by the gut, so doesn't count as carbohydrate)

Tea and coffee – some recommend avoiding caffeine. Best to use in moderation.
Drink 2 litres of water daily. Herbal teas are okay.

Avoid all highly processed foods eg margarines, and anything that is full of nasty chemicals.

Some ready meals are okay but read the labels. A good rule of thumb is, avoid anything with more than 5 grams of carb per 100 grams, and eat only very occasionally.

NO alcohol is best. It can slow down weight loss because your body can use it for fuel. It can contain carbs, so check

Be very suspicious of anything called 'diet' or ‘lite’ - it's probably stuffed full of carbs.

I never have either headaches or bad breath, which some people complain of. If you get a headache at the beginning, don't worry - it will go off. Drink plenty of water because you'll shed a lot of water at the beginning of the diet.

I didn't know about rhubarb when I first started this diet, but it certainly helps if you get constipated. Also bran. Also live yoghurt. Add flax seeds if necessary - they help too. Available at health food shops - also called linseed. If you’re on Metformin as well you shouldn’t have a problem.

You may want to take a multi-vitamin and mineral tablet, but there's really no need.

The whole point of this diet is to eat enough fat and protein. You don't have to think about calories, just carbohydrates. You can eat as much of the allowed foods as you want, unless limits are given, but don't over-eat. Eat until you’re satisfied, not stuffed.

It's basically a low-glycaemic index diet, eating fresh and unprocessed foods, with plenty of fat.

Eating from this food list, in the given quantities, will give you about 25 grams of carbohydrate per day. It’s then easy, with the help of one of the carb-counter books, to add on carbs up to the quantity you require. Different vegetables, for instance, the lower-carb fruits, or nuts as snacks.

juliekem

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been following this diet since near to the beginning of January this year and I have only lost 6 lbs. I am so despondent as I eat so little I don't think that I can go any lower. My BG has improved from 8 to 9 in the morning to 7 or even below, and at night it is 5.5 average from (7 to 8.) My waist has not reduced at all. My blood pressure has improved greatly but I really need to lose weight. Other people talk about losing many kg at first - why is my weight loss so slow? I AM eating fat - has anyone else experienced this?
p.s.
I exercise at the gymn twice per week and go for a 3 mile walk with a group once a week as well as exercising with the dogs.)

mistyweather

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If you went to a Slimming World class (NOT at all suggesting you do this) the lady there might tell you that you aren't eating enough!!! I was told this once when going there and it really did make a difference. I don't mean eating more fat but maybe a little more often

megan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
dishonesty and ********
Hi...im very interested in this....I am very insulin resistent....carb craving crazy! ..... so I do dafne..... I am on 1.5 units novo per 10 grammes carb....and two doses of 20 units (total lantus 40) lantus per day...... so on around 60 totL units a day but obviously fluctuat es depending on what I eat.... counted carbs.... cals.... fat..... exercised.... fed up... corrections regulalry....on thyroxine.... antidepressants. Creon now too...... so im going to try to drop the carbs....again!!!!......keeping in mknd that when I have green salad with next to no carbs and the dr says not to take insulin then....that I cant do this as the salad makes my sugars spike badly with insulin.....no explanation...it just does......so what I would like some help with is how to adjust the insulin on first starting out? How should I adjust the lantus? A sizable drop first day to accommodate carb drop?.... I have no pattern my diabetes takes so cannot second guess.....I recently visited family and my sugars did the opposite to normal and I was eating more???? Just want to avoid hypos from not dropping requirements enough....I also have fibromyagia and chronkc fatigue syndrome and ibs hence the creon.......I explain this as I have tried to read through historical posts but my eyes and brain get so tired of concentrating. ..... sorry...look forward ro hearing some thought s :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To make cauliflower more 'interesting', to the grated cauliflower add spices to taste, I use freshly ground coriander, cumin seeds and turmeric as well as celtic sea salt, then fry in a good knob of butter.
Cabbage is extremely useful as a replacement for pasta, I use thinly shredded cabbage, onion and garlic together, again, put in hot frying pan with a good knob of butter and a couple of tablespoons of water and stir fry until soft (only takes 4 or 5 minutes). It's lovely served with anything you'd serve spaghetti or tagliatelle with. I also love lasagne - replace the lasagne with thinly sliced courgette slices, you'll need to dry them out on a rack in a low oven for a while to keep the firm texture of lasagne - so that they absorb the bolognaise sauce and the whole thing isn't too moist - or have Aubergine slices instead like a moussaka. Sometimes I use the outer leaves of white cabbage instead of lasagne sheets as well. To make something akin to bechemal I use Seriously strong chedder spread, mixed with double cream and warmed through for a minute or two in the microwave. There are numerous no carb thickeners, but I don't like the texture of any of them, I've tried guar gum, xanthan gum etc but they all make rather a 'gloopy' sauce.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thread has gone a bit quiet!! Can someone tell me what is wrong with carrot and swede on this diet? I do a lot of batch cooking in slow cooker and add swede and carrots to my recipes. When this is portioned up for freezing there is not a lot of each in the portion size. Could I still do this on this low carb high fat diet?? I do not eat a lot of other carbs.
Cheers
Terry

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I guess it is because carrots and swedes contain higher carbs. The rule of thumb seems to be to beware of veg that grow underground. This includes beetroot too.

As with all things, eat then test and be guided by your meter.

Reactions: 4 people

coreservers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi started yesterday..... but feeling pretty woozy and a bit rubbish today, had 2 eggs scrambled with cheese for brekkie. should i stop as feeling rubbish?

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No, not necessarily. Are you having plenty of salt and water, that's the most common reason for feeling down. You need both as the diet is a natural diuretic, aim for 8 glasses of water a day an half a teaspoon of salt. Easy way to get salt is to have 2 cups of stock (home made is best, but if you don't have time or can't be bothered ) just dissolve a stock cube in hot water. And if you are on medication for diabetes your blood sugar may be low, if you don't have a meter, go to have it checked and if it's low ask for your medication to be reduced as you are now following a low carb diet. Good luck.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
hi started yesterday..... but feeling pretty woozy and a bit rubbish today, had 2 eggs scrambled with cheese for brekkie. should i stop as feeling rubbish?

No, try to keep going; it will take a couple of days (possibly more) to get over this feeling; then you should really start feeling a benefit and seeing a benefit in terms of blood sugars, energy, weight loss and all that kind of stuff.

What you are suffering is 'low carb flu' - google it for more info.

Kind regards

Dillinger

willow67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people,nasty habits,people who don't clean up after their dogs !
flies,wasps……the list is endless….oh and being tired…
how yummy is this…..somewhere that i can be diabetic and low carb and people know what i am talking about.
Thank you viv for this thread.:)
i am not new to lchf and before i was diagnosed type2 i had followed Atkins on and off,
i'm still not sure on the ketone side of things,as i used it before type2 as a good thing,yet as a diabetic is it now ok ?:nurse:
it will be a year in aug that i am type2,however i have my suspisions this is not a recent thing,
i am on metformin twice a day,and i look forward to reducing my b's as i certainly dislike the fluttery heart when they are a little high,
they're not massive on the grand scale of some people,however it doesn't take much for me to feel disorientated,confused,and vacant
when they stay up for a few days,and with a broken in half tooth i think perhaps this may be contributing to the raised numbers at present.
was only going to say i was subscribing to the thread…and get me waffling away…sorry:shy:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Willow, My doctor actually advised me to try the Atkins diet when he made my Type 2 diagnosis as I was (and still am!) very overweight. I've been on a low carb diet since finding our forum and I've had no problems at all being in ketosis apart from the initial "low carb flu" icky feelings, and it's helped me lose a great deal of weight. I think you'll find we have a fair number of low carbing Type 2 diabetics here, so don't be afraid to give it another go.

Robbity

Reactions: 5 people

Kattypuss

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please find below a version of the Atkins Induction diet that I simplified to send to my brother. That version was for weight loss; I've modified it a bit for diabetes.

It works for me; when I was on it before (2004/05) I lost 50lb in the first 6 months, 5.5 stone in 18 months, and I have never felt better. I was also doing about 25 miles weekly walking the Irish Wolfhound exercise machine. Then the dog died :cry: , I started eating carbs again, and now I'm back where I started. My doctor monitored me carefully throughout; my blood pressure dropped to 120/75, and though my total cholesterol would have been considered high for a diabetic at 5.4, my total:HDL ratio was 3.3, and my triglycerides were 0.65. All that is now to do again, plus managing the diabetes, but the first 2 stone is off already and the blood glucose levels are nicely down. Only 6 more stone to go! :)

WARNING!
This is a high-fat, low-carb diet and is not suitable for everyone. Some people can't eat fat for medical reasons, other people simply can't tolerate it, so think about it carefully.

Basic low-carb diet

Golden Rules: eat at least 3 times a day, more if you want. DON'T over-eat. Snacking is fine, but stick to protein (meat, fish, cheese, eggs). Make sure you eat fat - it's essential to make the diet work.

Drink at least 2 litres of water every day. Tap water is fine.

Read all food labels.

OKAY

all fresh meat types - lamb, beef, pork, chicken, duck, turkey, goose, venison and other game;

all fish; oily fish is particularly good, eg tuna, mackerel, salmon. Tinned is okay. Shellfish too, except oysters; smoked is okay (check the labels).

processed meat, eg sausage, burgers, ham, bacon, corned beef etc, but check for carb content on the label (eg no breadcrumbed ham, or honey roast ham);sausage and burger with maximum meat content and minimum carbohydrate; smoked and processed meats are okay but read the labels for nasty chemicals;

butter, olive oil etc

eggs

dairy - use very little milk (contains some carbohydrate) but butter, cream and hard cheese (up to 4oz daily) are okay. Also live unsweetened yoghurt;

salad veg, eg all lettuce types, toms, peppers, cucumber, radishes - a total of 8oz salad per day

other veg - all green leafy veg, asparagus, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, courgettes, aubergines, fennel, leeks, onions, green beans - a total of 8oz per day. Some of these contain higher amounts of carbs (eg tomatoes, leeks & onions, which contain some sugar) but are okay in moderate quantities (so don't eat a whole tin of tomatoes with your sausages!).

Avocado once a week, if liked. Very good for you. Also a handful of olives occasionally. Not stuffed!

Salad dressings, chutneys etc as long as minimum carb - read the labels.
Mayonnaise is fine - I use Hellman's. NB not low-fat.

Rhubarb is okay! Sweeten stewed rhubarb with dissolved Splenda tablets and eat with cream or live natural yoghurt. Don't eat every day, and don't go mad!

Sweetener - I use Splenda, tablets in drinks; dissolve them for other things. The granulated contains maltodextrin which affects blood glucose. Other sweeteners are available, of course.

With curry or casserole, use cauliflower instead of rice or potatoes. Very good!

AVOID

All starchy vegetables eg potatoes, carrots, swede, turnip, sweetcorn, beans, peas, broad beans; all dried pulses. This list is not comprehensive!

No sugar – does that need saying?

Anything that contains flour - bread, cakes, biscuits, cream crackers, pastry, sauces (eg cheese) and thick gravies. No pasta, rice or cereals except for occasional All-bran, eaten with very little milk. Oat bran (obtainable from health food shops) can be used as a thickener, also sprinkled on things (eg inside an omelette with the filling, or with stewed rhubarb) to aid against constipation. The rhubarb will help there too.

(Fibre eg bran isn't absorbed by the gut, so doesn't count as carbohydrate)

Tea and coffee – some recommend avoiding caffeine. Best to use in moderation.
Drink 2 litres of water daily. Herbal teas are okay.

Avoid all highly processed foods eg margarines, and anything that is full of nasty chemicals.

Some ready meals are okay but read the labels. A good rule of thumb is, avoid anything with more than 5 grams of carb per 100 grams, and eat only very occasionally.

NO alcohol is best. It can slow down weight loss because your body can use it for fuel. It can contain carbs, so check

Be very suspicious of anything called 'diet' or ‘lite’ - it's probably stuffed full of carbs.

I never have either headaches or bad breath, which some people complain of. If you get a headache at the beginning, don't worry - it will go off. Drink plenty of water because you'll shed a lot of water at the beginning of the diet.

I didn't know about rhubarb when I first started this diet, but it certainly helps if you get constipated. Also bran. Also live yoghurt. Add flax seeds if necessary - they help too. Available at health food shops - also called linseed. If you’re on Metformin as well you shouldn’t have a problem.

You may want to take a multi-vitamin and mineral tablet, but there's really no need.

The whole point of this diet is to eat enough fat and protein. You don't have to think about calories, just carbohydrates. You can eat as much of the allowed foods as you want, unless limits are given, but don't over-eat. Eat until you’re satisfied, not stuffed.

It's basically a low-glycaemic index diet, eating fresh and unprocessed foods, with plenty of fat.

Eating from this food list, in the given quantities, will give you about 25 grams of carbohydrate per day. It’s then easy, with the help of one of the carb-counter books, to add on carbs up to the quantity you require. Different vegetables, for instance, the lower-carb fruits, or nuts as snacks.

Kattypuss

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Viv

Thank you for this info. I've just been told that I have to go on Metformin. I have a glucose reading of 75. But also Trigly of 12.

I'm very scared. I would be so grateful for support from anyone re going on a low carb way of eating. Also, encouragement, please. Thank you. Kate