Viv's Modified Atkins Diet

willow67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people,nasty habits,people who don't clean up after their dogs !
flies,wasps……the list is endless….oh and being tired…
hi kattypuss
there is a vast number of wonderful people here to help along the way,and the advantages of
low crabbing are many.
xx

Reactions: 2 people

suehatton

Lost 9lb in 4 weeks but lost a lot faster last year. Not doing anything different. Does milk make much difference. Happy to drop the coffee for black tea if necessary.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
Re: Viv's Diet

Here in the UK we use TOTAL carbs when reading labels NOT net carbs. If you use net carbs then you are seriously underestimating the number of carbs you are consuming.......... We don't use the US system here.

Kellogs All Bran..........48g carbs per 100g...........therefore a 40g portion is 19.2g carbs.
Kellogs Bran Flakes......67g carbs per 100g...........therefore a 30g portion is 20.1g carbs.

So if you are tempted to try ANY foods.....always use TOTAL carbs. Saves some heartache and high Bg levels later.

You say a 40g portion how do you know what you have in the bowl short of weighing it on a set of kitchen scales ?

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bit of a pain like but we have such a device in the cupboard which aint seen much use in the last few years.

Stephen89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Again Alot Of Things
Your low carb diet plan looks great, ive been type 1 for 21 years and went off rail for about 7 of them, getting back in to it all anyway.. lots of things have changed but it was my understanding that type 1s NEED certain amounts of carbohydrates and with this diet may cause many hypos? or has all this changed ha.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit of a pain like but we have such a device in the cupboard which aint seen much use in the last few years.

Johnboy - To be honest, once you have weighed things a few times, you'll soon know your portion size, by eye. Like many things, there's a bit more effort required until you get into the swing of things.

I don't know whether it's been mentioned yet, but a number of people have bought a book called "Carbs and Cals", from Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...+and+cals&sprefix=carbs+and+ca,stripbooks,253

The book is designed to help understand portion size, and inform you of approximately how many carbs and calories the illustrated portion contains. It has pictures of various foodstuffs (allegedly the book is better than the app, and the full size book is better then the pocket sized) illustrating, on a plate, what might constitute 1 portion, 1.5 portions and so on. I don't have the book myself, but others swear by it.

Reactions: 4 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yeah ive heard of that book and looked at it on the website

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The laziest way I have found to get consistent portion sizes is to weigh once. Then tip the rice/grain/cereal/whatever into a mug.

If it comes half way up the mug, then 'a portion' = a half mug.

You can even leave the mug inside the cereal or rice packet, ready for next time.

Yup, I'm THAT lazy. :happy:

Reactions: 8 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have a small bowl that just about holds 2 medium sized handfuls of cereal id say the equivellent of your mug full.

Patsalou

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi people,

i am new to this fourm was diagnosed with pre diebtes yesterday and decided to follow vivs diet now dinner time i have chicken but i don't have a clue what to put with it,

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
hi people,

i am new to this fourm was diagnosed with pre diebtes yesterday and decided to follow vivs diet now dinner time i have chicken but i don't have a clue what to put with it,

Hi Patsalou and welcome :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
You say a 40g portion how do you know what you have in the bowl short of weighing it on a set of kitchen scales ?

The only thing I have ever weighed is breakfast cereal and then only really because in the mornings I weigh out my dogs food for the day so the scales are there, all my measurements were/are in portion sizes or spoonfuls be it a desert spoon or tablespoon or multiples of, but I tested every meal I ate and adjusted the portion sizes of carbs down till I found the right sized portion of all high starchy carbs like rice and potatoes etc either that or I just used my eyes to adjust different sizes of things like boiled or roast potatoes usually about 2 small/medium roast pots or between 3 and 5 small new potatoes boiled. I used to count out chips and eat around 8 to 12 dependant on size but now I am well controlled I can eat a few more thankfully but I still eat to my meter.

Bread I measure in slices and slice size too ie 2 thin slice = 1 thick slice but thats when I cut my own wholegrain bread, I find I can eat a 2 slice sandwich of Burgen or wholeGRAIN bread (not * wholemeal) quite easily but no more and if its a large wholegrain loaf I cut the size down a little by cutting off the top crust, it takes a little time to work it out but now I have I rarely test any more :)

I guess for most foods I just used to judge a portion to be what I found I could safely eat and get my bg levels back to near postprandial levels after eating.

* I have found that wholemeal to be just as bad as white bread as far as my bg levels are concerned, but wholegrain I find much kinder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
viviennem, thank you for your contributions here for the last 4 years. Reading your topic and many posts was time well spent.

I've been on this journey for 25 years, beginning with hypoglycema, then pre-diabetes, and now Type 2 diabetes. I thought I was doing fine. Hadn't checked my blood sugar in more than 3 years. Lucky for me, on a recent visit, a doctor ordered an A1C, and it came back 9.9. I think my last one was 7.3. Better to know than not know, right?

Immediately began doing research and found Richard K. Bernstein, M.D.'s book, Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution (2011). First published in 1997, it's now in it's 4th edition. He's American, but always found more support for his work in Europe than here in the U.S.

A Google search on "low carb high fat diet" brought me here. Thanks for referring people to Bernstein's work. It's an excellent book. I'll just add he's a Type 1 diabetic, diagnosed at age 12, now in his 80's and reportedly in excellent health, and still seeing diabetic patients.

I have three more books ordered and on their way: Why We Are Fat: And What To Do About It (2011) by Gary Taubes, and two of Robert C. Atkin's books, Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution (2002) and Atkins Diabetes Revolution: The Groundbreaking Approach to Preventing and Controlling Type 2 Diabetes (2004).

Began reading Bernstein's book on Friday, and started the LCHF diet using his guidelines on Sunday. Today is day 5 for me. Started with a fasting blood sugar of 254 mg/dL. Today it's already down to 192 mg/dL. I have a long way to go. When I see my doctor next month, I'll decide whether or not to add medication.

I see you haven't been on the forum since November, but even so, wanted to take a moment to acknowledge you for helping me today. Glad to be here.

Last edited by a moderator:

jackie_oates_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: Viv's Diet
Hi i was reading your plan and i was wondering when it says cheese up to 4 oz per day, is that just cheeses or is that the cream and butter in that weight ? I'm doing this plan but not sure if im going wrong on the oils fats and cheeses and cream many thanks x

trevoroq

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed pre- diabetic with Hba1c of 68 mmol then used this modified diet , was 120 kilo went down to 93 kilo over 3 months my Hba1c went down to 38 mmol , that was just before Christmas, I came off the diet at Christmas and my next Hba1c was 42 mmol, I've continued eating normally not bothering to diet and over the last few weeks seen my b/s slowly rise from 6-7 up to 8-9 for fasting , the other day it was 11. 4 . I am going back onto a low carb diet but not down to 20g of carbs which I was on . Does anyone have an opinion on a sensible figure or is it trial & error, comment would be welcome, thanks.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed pre- diabetic with Hba1c of 68 mmol then used this modified diet , was 120 kilo went down to 93 kilo over 3 months my Hba1c went down to 38 mmol , that was just before Christmas, I came off the diet at Christmas and my next Hba1c was 42 mmol, I've continued eating normally not bothering to diet and over the last few weeks seen my b/s slowly rise from 6-7 up to 8-9 for fasting , the other day it was 11. 4 . I am going back onto a low carb diet but not down to 20g of carbs which I was on . Does anyone have an opinion on a sensible figure or is it trial & error, comment would be welcome, thanks.

Hi,

I'm afraid that carb tolerances are so personal, it will come down to trial and error.

Are you just testing fasting BG, or are you testing before and 2 hrs after meals too?
If you do the meal testing you may find it really helpful in identifying problem foods. My preference is to avoid foods/portion sizes that raise my BG by more than 2 mmol/l at 2 hours after eating.

Inkey-2008

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Viv if have read all the posts today did this diet before and lost 3 stone, but your take on it seems easier to follow.

I have enjoyed my afternoons reading keep up the good work

I do list what I eat on myfittnesspal and the bar code reader on the smartphone helps with logging the foods, it even works for food that we bought in Spain.

Hope to lose another stone and half this summer.

Andy

sharlie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
it reads that we can eat an avocado once a week. why is this? i love avocados and would like to eat them daily.