Vlc Recipes For Turkey Mince Please

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am currently eating <20g carbs daily, a fair number of which are used up by my cream addiction (with coffee, tea and Hartley's 10cal jellies). I have now bought some turkey mince but have no idea how to cook it without going over my carb limit, (so no garlic, onion, tomato puree, yeast extract etc etc.) Any suggestions would be welcome. I should say that as an ex-vegetarian I have no experience of cooking mince. I just bought it because it was cheap and a bit different from my usual chicken portions. So the most basic instructions would be welcome.)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am currently eating <20g carbs daily, a fair number of which are used up by my cream addiction (with coffee, tea and Hartley's 10cal jellies). I have now bought some turkey mince but have no idea how to cook it without going over my carb limit, (so no garlic, onion, tomato puree, yeast extract etc etc.) Any suggestions would be welcome. I should say that as an ex-vegetarian I have no experience of cooking mince. I just bought it because it was cheap and a bit different from my usual chicken portions. So the most basic instructions would be welcome.)

You could have a look at some f these: https://ketosummit.com/keto-ground-turkey-recipes/

Turkey mince wouldn't be my first choice of meat, but Dr Google can be very helpful in these circumstances.

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Could you possibly give up a little cream. It’s hard I know. I live the stuff.

Hotpepper20000

Any recipes that have beef mince you can use turkey mince.
I make a nice patty with a bit of tyme, sage, and rosemary and salt and pepper. Mix in a egg and form in to patties.
Cook up in a fry pan.
Take a slice of nice strong cheddar and put it on top the last min of cooking.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make a nice patty with a bit of tyme, sage, and rosemary
I have wondered about using rosemary, but isn't it rather too spiky? And can the patties be fried without being dusted with something (NOT flour, obviously)? Thanks very much for a recipe that is genuinely LC!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could have a look at some f these: https://ketosummit.com/keto-ground-turkey-recipes/

Turkey mince wouldn't be my first choice of meat, but Dr Google can be very helpful in these circumstances.
Thanks, but actually I am not finding Dr Google at all helpful, which is why I am asking the LC community. Most keto recipes are way too high carb for me, including as they do tomatoes and even tomato puree, onions, garlic etc which are on Dr Bernstein's NO list.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, but actually I am not finding Dr Google at all helpful, which is why I am asking the LC community. Most keto recipes are way too high carb for me, including as they do tomatoes and even tomato puree, onions, garlic etc which are on Dr Bernstein's NO list.

I'm guessing some of the challenge with turkey miince is actually getting much flavour into it, and also the very lor fat nature of most of the bird. Were I decide to go for turkey mince, I would be seriously tempted to blend it with some turkey mince, to add soem naturally occurring fat.

In UK at the moment, pork seems very reasonably priced. In fact, on Friday, when buying a leg joint in our local butcher, I asked him to weigh it again, because I was positive he'd made a mistake, when he told me the price. We have a fab butcher, who usually rounds bills down for regular customers, so I'd hate to have taken advantage of an error had it been one.

Hotpepper20000

I have wondered about using rosemary, but isn't it rather too spiky? And can the patties be fried without being dusted with something (NOT flour, obviously)? Thanks very much for a recipe that is genuinely LC!
You can get powered rosemary or fresh just chop it with a knife till it’s small.
With pan frying it’s not necessary to dust the patties with anything. They will be like a burger patty.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can get powered rosemary or fresh just chop it with a knife till it’s small.
With pan frying it’s not necessary to dust the patties with anything. They will be like a burger patty.
Thanks very much, Hotpepper. You may find this hard to imagine, but I do't think I ever made a burger patty in my life, though I have occasionally eaten boughten vegetarian burgers. So at 76 I am as ignorant of how to make and cook these things as a newly wed bride of 16! (Or maybe worse. ) Thus your guidance is extremely useful.

Hotpepper20000

Thanks very much, Hotpepper. You may find this hard to imagine, but I do't think I ever made a burger patty in my life, though I have occasionally eaten boughten vegetarian burgers. So at 76 I am as ignorant of how to make and cook these things as a newly wed bride of 16! (Or maybe worse. ) So your guidance is extremely useful.
You are very welcome. I have been cooking for families and for over 20 years. So have learned a few tricks an tips along the way.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks very much, Hotpepper. You may find this hard to imagine, but I do't think I ever made a burger patty in my life, though I have occasionally eaten boughten vegetarian burgers. So at 76 I am as ignorant of how to make and cook these things as a newly wed bride of 16! (Or maybe worse. ) Thus your guidance is extremely useful.
Alexandra - When considering making something new or doing something differently, I'll often have a browse on YouTube, where not only are these things descrribed, they are usually demonstrated too, so that one can see how the thing should look, as well as read the words.

I've repaired things, upgraded computer parts, watched recipes and learned how to prune and cultivate plants/shrubs. It's a fantastic educational tool.

Andy Foster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Made some turkey burgers just yesterday, must say, first off, I put half an onion and two small cloves of garlic, finely diced in there, but then I'm not as strict on carbs as most. But the main ingredients were simply a big pack of turkey mince, salt, pepper, some chilli powder, chilli flakes, a large amount of smoked paprika, a splash of oil or two tablespoons of ghee, stir that all together with a fork, add an egg to bind it all and simply mush it up with your hands. Squeeze it through your fingers until it's a blended paste, then use an ice cream scoop if you have one to make the mix into equal sized meatballs. Heat your oven to 180c (fan) as you will need to keep the burgers hot as you cook them in batches. Heat a large frying pan (skillet) and then press each ball into a flat round burger shape in your hand (or use one of those burger presses they have now) and place in the pan. Fry on each side for a few minutes until nicely browned or starting to blacken if you prefer. Place in the oven on a baking try and cover with tin foil whilst you do the next batch.
That's what i do anyhow. Herbs and things are fine but I didn't have any in the cupboard; I did have a lot of smoked paprika, though! You can also add things like a smidgeon of star anise or ground cumin or curry powder to change things up; watch it on the star anise and cumin, as they will overpower anything. Tiny amounts.

You can also slice up some bell pepper and fry it in butter and chilli flakes for a spicy accompaniment, etc.

Reactions: lindijanice