Waaaaay Tmi, Question About Keto Constipation

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @JoKalsbeek coming to this late. Just a couple of thoughts for if/when you go back to Keto. You mentioned high cocoa chocolate - if you can get the 100% version with very few carbs (I have one that is 8g per 100g) and if your taste buds are up to it, then larger quantities of that can help to get things moving.

Another vote for magnesium and water.
My taste buds can absolutely handle 100% chocolate these days. It's one of the things that changed when I started eating LCHF. :) Thanks, I'll certainly remember that! (Still drinking loads and having magnesium too, I promise.)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just get yourself fully well before you attempt keto again. It took me months to recover (sorry). For me veggies are the key, but I have to weigh them carefully to make sure I stay under around 25g carbs to stay in ketosis. I could never do no carb, the cost in pain would be too high.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just get yourself fully well before you attempt keto again. It took me months to recover (sorry). For me veggies are the key, but I have to weigh them carefully to make sure I stay under around 25g carbs to stay in ketosis. I could never do no carb, the cost in pain would be too high.
Months... Ooof. Considering the amount of damage, I guess weeks was a bit too optimistic then... Good to know though. Sorry you went through all that. I'll be careful next time. And won't rush it. Thank you!

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
First of all you have my sympathies. Been there, done that when I tried the Dukan Diet 7 years ago. I found DulcoEase helped, but I gave up the diet after only 3 weeks because of these complications. Now I am doing keto I find that veggies help a lot - especially sprouts. I too am loving keto but can't wait to get back to simply low carb, because it suits my bowel better. I personally need my veggies and can't get quite enough packed into keto.
I'm struggling too and its horrible , I am going to get my blood sugar right down then i am going to do the LCHF with a bit of fibre because I have problem down there from when I had my babies won't go into ti but lets just say I can't go there again too painful a problem .

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm struggling too and its horrible , I am going to get my blood sugar right down then i am going to do the LCHF with a bit of fibre because I have problem down there from when I had my babies won't go into ti but lets just say I can't go there again too painful a problem .
Yep that's what made my problems worse too. :inpain: I do LCHF with lots of veggies now, I have learnt my lesson. Even when I do keto I have a plateful of low carb veggies, it makes my life a lot easier. I hope you feel better soon. :)

Reactions: Charis1213

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep that's what made my problems worse too. :inpain: I do LCHF with lots of veggies now, I have learnt my lesson. Even when I do keto I have a plateful of low carb veggies, it makes my life a lot easier. I hope you feel better soon. :)
I've been doing loads of low carb veg and still can't go lol,, I am thinking it could be beef which we tried as before this i was okay , I am quite nervous now as i put some swede on my plate tonight and now scared of it raising my sugar , i know now that i can't eat baked beans which i drained and washed and warmed up in water , as yesterday blood sugar was 10.2 , then after tea it was 8.9 and upon waking it was 8.9 . But i simply must get my digestive back to normal so tried some swede but I have doubts about it .

Thanks for the reply I'm pleased we have this forum to help and advise each other . :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been doing loads of low carb veg and still can't go lol,, I am thinking it could be beef which we tried as before this i was okay , I am quite nervous now as i put some swede on my plate tonight and now scared of it raising my sugar , i know now that i can't eat baked beans which i drained and washed and warmed up in water , as yesterday blood sugar was 10.2 , then after tea it was 8.9 and upon waking it was 8.9 . But i simply must get my digestive back to normal so tried some swede but I have doubts about it .

Thanks for the reply I'm pleased we have this forum to help and advise each other . :)
I agree your digestive system is important , I would focus on that for while if needs be.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree your digestive system is important , I would focus on that for while if needs be.
My mum gave me some anusol suppositries see if will help, not a nice subject but it happens lol I agree completely this the most important right now .

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Pondering on "going keto".
I manage to get into nutritional ketosis on LCHF, as shown by blood tests and ketosis, and manage to include vegetables in my diet,
If I have problems I use Lactulose which is a stool softener rather than a laxative(although I am not sure that there is much difference).
So perhaps the zero carbs approach is too extreme for some digestive tracts.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear of your woes and hope you get better real soon.