Wake up call

K8

Hello All,

I’ve just singed up to the forum today. I had a blood test on Friday and got the results yesterday. I was told that I have just tipped into ‘pre diabetes’ My HBa1c result was 42. I am at higher risk because I have to take antipsychotic medication.

I have had previous tests 2016 - 39, 2017 - 35 I understand that 42 is a the lower end of the PD scale. My weight reached an all time high of 20 stone in October and since then I have been seeing a personal trainer twice a week and lost 12lbs and 5 cm from my waist measurement. I have a further 7 stone to lose and 40 cm to loose from my Waist to get me to to the lower risk under 80 cm.

My main weakness is that I am an emotional eater whilst I can prepare and enjoy healthy food. At times of crisis, fear, pain and sadness I lose all my mindful earthing and over eat.

I want to say hello and thank you in advance for all your shared experiences and info. Hopefully taking control now I can turn things around but I know from now on I need to focus focus focus. This resource will be a great source of inspiration.

Tomorrow I am seeing a nurse practitioner and can make an action plan.

Best wishes and thank you

K8

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi K8
Welcome to the forum,
Sorry to hear your pre-diabetic, your doing really well making the changes.
Terrible how medication can higher the risk.
Tagging @daisy1 for her great newbies pack.
Take care

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello All,

I’ve just singed up to the forum today. I had a blood test on Friday and got the results yesterday. I was told that I have just tipped into ‘pre diabetes’ My HBa1c result was 42. I am at higher risk because I have to take antipsychotic medication.

I have had previous tests 2016 - 39, 2017 - 35 I understand that 42 is a the lower end of the PD scale. My weight reached an all time high of 20 stone in October and since then I have been seeing a personal trainer twice a week and lost 12lbs and 5 cm from my waist measurement. I have a further 7 stone to lose and 40 cm to loose from my Waist to get me to to the lower risk under 80 cm.

My main weakness is that I am an emotional eater whilst I can prepare and enjoy healthy food. At times of crisis, fear, pain and sadness I lose all my mindful earthing and over eat.

I want to say hello and thank you in advance for all your shared experiences and info. Hopefully taking control now I can turn things around but I know from now on I need to focus focus focus. This resource will be a great source of inspiration.

K8
A HbA1c of 42? Wonderful! Means you have to take less drastic measures to get to a non-diabetic level. ;) Seriously, it actually is good news, believe it or not. I wish I'd known I was prediabetic, I never would've let things get as far as they did. But hey, you can do stuff now, to avoid T2 later. And you really, really want to avoid it.

So you'll get the basic T2 101 from Daisy1, as she's been tagged already. But let's see about the basics:

As a prediabetic you've got a problem processing glucose back out again. You make lots of insulin, but instead of helping you burn glucose as fuel, it doesn't do much of anything, as you've become insensitive to it. That's when the weight starts piling on. As the glucose has nowhere to go, it gets stored in fat cells. And a usual diet of low fat, high carb won't help, and actually will only make it worse, because carbs, well, those are a problem. See, practically all carbs turn to glucose once ingested. Yeah. I know eh. That means potatoes, rice, pasta, bread (or anything made with grain/wheat, really), corn, cereals, most fruits... It'll all make your bloodsugars rise, not just straight sugars. Once you know that though, you can cut back on that stuff, or scratch it entirely.... And besides getting your bloodsugars back into the normal, non-diabetic range, you'd also shift a lot of weight. I dropped 25 kilo's going low carb...

Now, there's still a lot of stuff you can eat, without messing up your bloodsugars and while still losing weight. Surprisingly enough, that inclused foodstuffs with a lot of fat. Still, it works, and the science behind it makes sense (Check out Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code, if you're so inclined. Or diedoctor.com, also for meal-ideas. Basically though, there are 3 macro-nutrients... Fat, protein and carbs. Fat doesn't make you spike, protein ups the bloodglucoselevels a little bit, carbs make them go absolutely apes***t. So cut one macro-nutrient, up the others. But mainly fat.). So, the good stuff: Meat, fish, poultry, extra dark chocolate (didn't see that one coming, did you?), eggs, butter, cream, full fat greek yoghurt, bacon, bacon and bacon, berries, avocado, starfruit, tomatoes, above-ground veggies/leafy greens, that sort of thing.

So you could eat, without issue:
Scrambled eggs with bacon, cheese, mushrooms, tomato, maybe some high meat content sausages?
Eggs with ham, bacon and cheese
Omelet with spinach and/or smoked salmon
Omelet with cream, cinnamon, with some berries and coconut shavings
Full fat Greek yoghurt with nuts and berries
Leafy green salad with a can of tuna (oil, not brine!), mayonaise, capers, olives and avocado
Leafy green salad with (warmed goat's) cheese and bacon, maybe a nice vinaigrette?
Meat, fish or poultry with veggies. I usually go for cauliflower rice or broccoli rice, with cheese and bacon to bulk it up. Never the same meal twice in a row because of various herbs/spices.

Just as a for instance though. (And I admit I copies and pasted that list from a post I did earlier today, because I figured I was sure to forget something if I tried to regurgitate it myself, haha).

Since you're on medication that doesn't quite help with the weight/prediabetes, I really do strongly suggest making a change in diet... I'll keep you from taking other meds and their addtional side effects, plus it's better to tackle this with a diet; when you just let it go, and you become a T2 with medication only, it is a progressive disease. With diet in the mix, it needn't be. It's a good way to stay ahead of things, really. Besides that, I'm an introverted, clinically depressed borderliner (and self-imposed hermit 5 days a week. The weekend I have my husband with me to go outside.). I'm nowhere near cured or anything, but my depression is managable, and my panic attacks are fewer and less severe than they were: going low carb didn't just put my T2 in remission, it also made me sleep better, lose weight, get rid of food intolerances, it also made my mind work better... I'm not as much a victim to dark thoughts as I used to be. And people scare the bejezus out of me, yet I'm sitting here, talking to a complete stranger, telling them about my vulnerabilities. Go figure.

Hope this helps. You'll be okay. You're catching this thing early.
Jo

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello All,

K8
Completely forgot to add, as I tend to get lost in my own prattle: Emotional eating, it may be a problem... But one you can work around. If you don't have high carb snacks in the house, you can absolutely pig out on low carb snacks... Cheese, pork scratchings with mayo, bacon, boiled eggs, celery with maybe a little bit of hummus or cream cheese, extra dark chocolate, nuts, olives, sausages like Bifi's... (Do check the carb content on packages, some brands toss a lot of flour in as filler). Or just have bucketloads of tea. I find it's comforting stuff. Just make sure there's stuff around that won't mess you up, but you can eat loads of. ;) Oh, check keto fatbombs on dietdoctor.com or just google it. Heaven. :)

K8

Completely forgot to add, as I tend to get lost in my own prattle: Emotional eating, it may be a problem... But one you can work around. If you don't have high carb snacks in the house, you can absolutely pig out on low carb snacks... Cheese, pork scratchings with mayo, bacon, boiled eggs, celery with maybe a little bit of hummus or cream cheese, extra dark chocolate, nuts, olives, sausages like Bifi's... (Do check the carb content on packages, some brands toss a lot of flour in as filler). Or just have bucketloads of tea. I find it's comforting stuff. Just make sure there's stuff around that won't mess you up, but you can eat loads of. ;) Oh, check keto fatbombs on dietdoctor.com or just google it. Heaven. :)

Dear Jo,

Thank you very much for your message. I’m starting to see from the information I have read so far that carbs and low carb is the way I need to go.

It’s great to hear that making changes has had such great results for you. Your weight loss is a fantastic achievement. Well done.

I’m really pleased to hear that you feel your depression has improved too.

I had a mental health breakdown a few years back and was very reclusive too for a long time. Like you apart from when my partner was home I rarely ventured out. I am more out going now getting a dog helped a lot.

I will look at your reading recommendation and app thanks for those.

Thanks again, It’s a great support best wishes

K8

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear Jo,

Thank you very much for your message. I’m starting to see from the information I have read so far that carbs and low carb is the way I need to go.

It’s great to hear that making changes has had such great results for you. Your weight loss is a fantastic achievement. Well done.

I’m really pleased to hear that you feel your depression has improved too.

I had a mental health breakdown a few years back and was very reclusive too for a long time. Like you apart from when my partner was home I rarely ventured out. I am more out going now getting a dog helped a lot.

I will look at your reading recommendation and app thanks for those.

Thanks again, It’s a great support best wishes

K8
My pleasure. I hope it'll make a world of difference for you too. :)

Reactions: K8 and zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@K8 welcome! My son, 28, has been taking antipsychotics for half his life, on top of a school career filled with ritalin. His “recipe” has been changed numerous times. As you probably know, these meds can change your metabolism. DS’s psychiatrist finally found the right combo, and the kid lost 20 lbs in a short time with no change to anything else (except he notices that he’s markedly lighter in mood than he had been). I wish he had your gumption to do something about his diet, as I have no doubt he is a breath away from T2D. He has been up near 290 lbs for a while, but just had to buy new, smaller jeans! But enough about meds.
I don’t have any formal dx of pre-D, but my HbA1c was 48 in your numbers back in August. I was given a cheat sheet full of foods which, had I eaten them, would have turned me into a diabetic inside a month. I found this forum quite by accident and love the support and camaraderie here. I am following a low carb/somewhat high fat modified for “mostly vegetarian” me.
I am hoping that at my followup labs in Feb, I will present them with a normal HbA1c and close to normal blood glucose.
The process is not difficult, no starving involved, and I am currently 50 lbs lighter than my all-time high some decades ago. Have lost 30 lbs in the past year, 20 of it quite suddenly in two months, when I started low carbing.
This place is addictive- read read read but remember to breathe! chris

Reactions: Prem51 and K8

K8

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the welcome. I’m sorry your son suffers with his mental health it’s great though that his Dr is trying to get him in the best medication regime.

My partner is vegetarian and we have been eating way too many carbs I think. I went through my freezer last night and looked at carb values on things like veggie burgers and sausages and it’s really high. I will read the labels from now on. It’s great to hear you weigh loss results from low carb diet.

Thanks for your insight, best wishes to you and your son.

Kate

Reactions: Prem51

K8

Hi, I went low carb after your suggestions and have lost 17 lbs in three weeks. I managed to go away for a friends birthday and do ok I still lost weight. Still have a further 6 stone to loose but pleased to be two stone lighter than I was in October.

I have some questions are natural sugars in fruits as bad as those other sugars?

I have switched cereal and bread based breakfast for a smoothie with a banana some blueberries almond milk, vegan protein powder, flax seeds and chia seeds.

I love pineapple and wonder if I can eat some fresh pineapple?

For people who are trying to minimise your carb intake? What level have you set for daily carb intake at?

Many thanks

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I went low carb after your suggestions and have lost 17 lbs in three weeks. I managed to go away for a friends birthday and do ok I still lost weight. Still have a further 6 stone to loose but pleased to be two stone lighter than I was in October.

I have some questions are natural sugars in fruits as bad as those other sugars?

I have switched cereal and bread based breakfast for a smoothie with a banana some blueberries almond milk, vegan protein powder, flax seeds and chia seeds.

I love pineapple and wonder if I can eat some fresh pineapple?

For people who are trying to minimise your carb intake? What level have you set for daily carb intake at?

Many thanks
Yeah... Fruit's pretty bad for people who don't process glucose well. To give you an idea, there's about 6 cubes of sugar in a banana. So you might want to rethink those. Pineapples are a tropical fruit, so they'll hit your system hard too. Safest bets are berries, starfruit, avocado and tomato. The rest, well... You know... Bit high. Check this for more info:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits

That might help. But hey, it's up to you.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah... Fruit's pretty bad for people who don't process glucose well. To give you an idea, there's about 6 cubes of sugar in a banana. So you might want to rethink those. Pineapples are a tropical fruit, so they'll hit your system hard too. Safest bets are berries, starfruit, avocado and tomato. The rest, well... You know... Bit high. Check this for more info:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits

That might help. But hey, it's up to you.

that link of @JoKalsbeek ..was the best help for me when starting out.

just to 'see' what was better helped me tremendously.

well done on weight loss @K8

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @K8 , sounds like you've made a fabulous start - especially on the weight loss.

As @JoKalsbeek suggests, fruit can be really tricky on the blood sugars, but as a barely pre-diabetic, you may be able to get away with more than those who have crossed the threshold.

Many folks find their blood sugars improve as they trim up, because of how that trimming works on our innards, so take it steady.

It's important you find something that works for you, and that you can sustain. No point going at it full-Ninja, only to find you can't face another x, y or z after a month or two.

In your shoes, I might be inclined to buy a blood testing meter to test the foods I'm eating - really to find out which my personal blood glucose "rocket fuel" foods were, then you know where you might get the biggest bang for your dietary buck, but that's up to you, and if you feel that could be too, too stressful for you then maybe do as you're doing for now, and review after your next blood tests.

Again, a huge well done your progress so far. Change isn't easy for anyone, but when you have additional factors in play, it just adds to the pressure a bit, but you seem pretty determined about it all, and about taking control. Fair play to you!

Reactions: Ponchu and Prem51

K8

Thanks very much for your reply. It’s a learning curb understanding the carbs in ‘healthy’ food like fruit which before I set no limits to. But I’m learning so much from the info on here. Thank you! I suppose I have to keep in sight that even if I don’t get it quite right I know my carb consumption has plummeted drastically so that in itself I hope should have an impact on my next blood test result. If it hasn’t then I think I will buy a blood glucose monitor as you suggest.

Best wishes Kate

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Once you have read and understand what people are telling you about diet, I have another thought for you.

Some people find their mental health problems improve when they cut all suger and sweaters from their diet/drinks, it may be worth trying for a few weeks to see how it effects you. You may also find that if you use a freestyle libre to track your BG for a few weeks that you "mood" is related to changes in BG.

Talk to your doctor to see if the antipsychotic medications you are on require adjustment with changes to diet, they may also need adjustment as you lose weight.

Reactions: K8