walking blood sugar

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi does walking raise anyone blood sugar here i was 10.2 then went to about 12.4.mmol 2 hour after walking

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
hi does walking raise anyone blood sugar here i was 10.2 then went to about 12.4.mmol 2 hour after walking

Hi Static - did you have any active quick acting insulin on board at the time ?

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i did take novorapid about 4hours before i went to walk that was for a correction

Reactions: McLoui

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
The only explanation I can think of is that the liver releases glucose to feed muscles when exercising, this may of tipped you over, unless you have an infection of some kind going on which would cause you to go higher than the level you started out at.

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
could be aswell i last ate about 12 hours before previously last ate about before 10pm at night then went out in morning walk empty stomach so thats around 12hours after last ate

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
When did you last do a basal test? Another possibility is that you rose to 12.4 because basal needs adjusting. There are a number of factors that could have caused the rise such as illness, stress, insufficient basal, or as @Juicyj suggests a release from the liver to feed muscles. Try to look at each to see if they fit.

badmedisin

Exercising with a high BG will raise your BG.

Muscles need glucose, so your liver releases it. But if you haven't got the insulin to get the glucose into the muscles, it's got nowhere to go and just hangs about in your blood.