Walking Football

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Played 3 times this week. Muscles aching like crazy tonight.
How's everyone else doing?
That’s great!

I’m still not in sporting mode - my competitive spirit would lead me to overdo things, but I’m hoping it’ll be possible in a few months.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does playing soccer helps lower hba1c?
Not in my case. Mine was already low when I started to play. I also think my liver dumps more glucose thanks to the adrenaline while I'm playing: that vanishes within minutes of the game ending. I really need to try it with a CGM.

I play because (mainly) I like it - it's also decent exercise, gets me out of the house, and it's usually fun.

• Winner
Reactions: Pipp and lovinglife

Sallyw

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does playing soccer helps lower hba1c?
Hi, I'm currently attending an NHS DAFNE course for Type 1 diabetics. Whilst covering exercise, it was revealed that anaerobic exercise like squash and I presume football, actually raises blood glucose levels!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I'm currently attending an NHS DAFNE course for Type 1 diabetics. Whilst covering exercise, it was revealed that anaerobic exercise like squash and I presume football, actually raises blood glucose levels!
Yes, walking football raises my BG by around 4 points, but this is very temporary. An hour after I stop playing it is normally lower than when I started playing. It is great exercise for me as it uses my muscles more effectively than just walking.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd agree with that - it's just the liver dumping for extra fuel. I'd be in a bad way if it didn't.

Reactions: zand

Em16

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent. Where I play we have female and male players, only criterion is being over 50. I'm having to change my style of play a bit because of the non-contact stuff but I'll get used to it, maybe. Really enjoying it.
Hi Kenny, my husband is interested in this...whereabouts is it ...and are there any spaces for new players?

Thanks, Em16

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes there are. We play at Sandylands - pm me for more details. Over 50 male, over 40 female.

Em16

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes there are. We play at Sandylands - pm me for more details. Over 50 male, over 40 female.
Thanks Kenny - we’re on holiday at mo …so I’ll pm you when back next week (I don’t know how to do it on my phone!!!)