1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Walking To Mordor...

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by Beating-My-Betes, Jan 8, 2022.

1. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Not against the rules at all, although I doubt she'll sign up just for this thread.
    However, I'd already offered to relay her walks (and some pictures of her handsome companion of course) to this thread! :)
    Can't hurt to have a look, so I'll do that. :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. ultradad

ultradad Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That is a fine looking tattoo :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Beating-My-Betes

Beating-My-Betes · Well-Known Member

Yeah! They definitely didn't walk the entire journey.

Shame you can't join in

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Beating-My-Betes

That tattoo is shaping up to be awesome!

I hope we can maintain a spirit of encouragement. I know from another forum where I attempted to start something similar that some people didn't like the idea of feeling pressured by others' physical abilities etc.

Personally, I have a 'soft' goal to be back in Hobbiton by the end of the year, with a harder limit set for February 2023. I'm going to start off slowly (Will maintain the 4 miles I've averaged for the last 4 years), specifically to provide a stable reference for a diet change. But from then, I'm really going to, erm...step it up ;) Hopefully, that won't pressure others to do the same, or to feel their own efforts inferior.

It's a personal challenge, and everyone should feel comfortable going at their own pace. Maybe it'll just fall to a couple of folk to get ahead to assess any danger.

Been thinking more about this, and will assure that as long as I'm alive/physically-capable/online/in-a-state-of-not-having-been-banned-from-DUK (delete as applicable), that I will keep logging until every last person completes their intended goal...even if that takes years.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Beating-My-Betes

A nice idea. Not sure I'm that knowledgable about the Lore to do so. I do intend to read the books, while doing the challenge. Last time I tried, I made it through 'The Hobbit' and the first two LOTR books. Didn't finish the 3rd, and refused to watch the last film until I had, so no spoilers please.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Beating-My-Betes

I don't see any reason why these split/shorter goals can't be incorporated. I'm just not sure I'm the person to do it. If someone who is more familiar with the Lore, journey etc. is motivated to chart some points-of-interest etc. along the way, they could definitely be added to the OP.

Also, if people want to team up and log cumulative miles, seems fine to me. I'll let you into a little secret: We're not actually going to Mordor ;) , and this is only really a way of spicing up a 2022 exercise resolution thread. So, anyway that people are motivated to get out and 'get it', should be encouraged.

Have at it!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Beating-My-Betes

Great!

8. Beating-My-Betes

So...are you in?

9. Beating-My-Betes

Edited original post to add that people might want to only do part of the journey i.e Just accompany to Rivendell etc.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DEBBIESCOTT

DEBBIESCOTT MODY · Well-Known Member

Where do I find the destination & distance chart please?

11. Beating-My-Betes

The chart with the green header, in the title post. The minimum thus far is 458 miles to Rivendell, although there has been some talk about breaking those distances down into even smaller bites.

When I first tried this, a few years back, there was an app which kept track of distances and had a much more detailed breakdown of the journey. Might have to do an online search to see if I can get a route planner with all the landmarks. The app creator unfortunately got hit with a copyright cease-and-desist notice, unfortunately...so it's no more :(

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. Beating-My-Betes

Haha! Just realised I still have the app installed :)

Screenshot 2022-01-10 at 17.27.17.png

• Like Like x 1
  13. DEBBIESCOTT

DEBBIESCOTT MODY · Well-Known Member

Thank you, unfortunately you can’t still download the app, I’ll make a spreadsheet, going to backdate it to 1 January

• Like Like x 2
  14. Beating-My-Betes

Yeah! Definitely a shame.

Backdating to the first seems like quite a good idea, though :)

15. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #35 Riva_Roxaban, Jan 10, 2022 at 7:58 PM
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  16. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I got an app called HealthView and monitoring of walking/running distance and cycling distance, backdating to Jan 1st is one way but I think I’ll stick to the start as of today :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Beating-My-Betes

Thanks!

Actually found that first link last night, but didn't spend any real time with it. From first glance, I'm not sure if it's granular enough. The second link, however, is very useful.

When I get the time, I'll have a go at fleshing the journey out a bit more. And if enough people show an interest, it might be worth trying to get it into a more detailed spreadsheet. Perhaps not worth the effort if there're only a handful of us doing it. Let's see.

Thanks, again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Beating-My-Betes

Checking out the Apple health app, it appears to be very easy to slide the graph to start at any date desired. So I'll follow your lead on that one.

Not sure about he frequency of logging. Might just add typed daily numbers and then a full screen-shotted (or should that be screenshat ;) ) weekly log on Sunday evening.

19. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

My friend wrote you her first update on her little trip to Mordor, so here it comes! :)

Here my first update. I'm on my way to Mordor. This week I walked 3 rounds of about 5 km (sorry I from the metric system). So the total this week is 15km. And because of the covid regulations I was not able to take Banjer my big, little friend with me. He will join other rounds. For an impression of the surounding (picture).

The next weeks I will walk more, because I will join a hike orgenised by the local boy-scouts halfway february. That will be 25km long.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  20. mouseee

mouseee · Well-Known Member

Looks like the fens.... I have a lovely walk by the washes that look similar.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook