Wanting to try for a baby...

ljmercer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

I know you should really speak to doctors/healthcare teams about this but I would like some advice also...

I have been with my partner now for almost three years (also type 1!!) and we want to start trying for a baby together.

It's a while before my next appointment with my diabetic team so I wanted to ask what others have done to help increase the chances of becoming pregnant? And, there's lots about what the mother can do whilst trying for a baby, is there anything that male diabetics can do/should do too?

I've got some work to do to bring down my sugars as nothing seems to be working for me to bring down my HbA1c/general blood glucose levels from the insulin resistance levels I experienced as a teenager... so I know that will help but is there anything else?

Thank you so much in advance! :)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @ljmercer I think the best way for you to approach this is to speak to your diabetic team explaining your circumstances and what support they can offer you to help you improve your control, in some CCG's they can help you with either a libre sensor and pump therapy, both are useful tools to help reduce your HbA1c when used correctly and under guidance from your team. Control is really important to help with both pregnancy and a healthy birth so be prepared as you will be given targets which may seem daunting but they really are just targets and as a guide they will ensure that the best outcome is achieved ultimately - https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng3

ljmercer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Juicyj

I already have funding for the Libre sensor from when I was in the paediatric clinic (I'm 19 now and transferred to the adult clinic) and I'm already using an Omnipod which I've had for nearly 6 years. I'm also on Metformin too... I'm trying to control my blood sugars - trust me!!

Thank you for your advice. I will speak to my diabetic team about it in any event as I know there's a higher dose of folic acid which is recommended for potential diabetic mothers/T1s wanting to become pregnant.

Thank you :)