1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Warning: Chocolate Cake Horror

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Catlady19, May 6, 2016.

1. magjanereer

magjanereer Type 1 · Member

ignore cake lolxxx I have succumbed myself ///bloody annoying

• Like Like x 2
  2. RYU

RYU Type 2 · Well-Known Member

moral of the story is 'buy a teasmaid and set it to make you a cup of tea at 4:30 am that way when you wake up there's a cup of tea waiting for you..Chocolate cake is to yummy not to eat'

• Like Like x 4
  3. LinsT

LinsT Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I reckon the moral of the story is that the ability to ignore cake doesn't exist

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Diamum5972

Diamum5972 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree with this - it's my chocoholic brother's birthday on Monday and he's asked if I can make him a chocolate fudge cake! Temptation, temptation ...

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lifeissweetenough

Lifeissweetenough LADA · Member

I cannot tell you how reassuring it is to hear someone describe an experience of a 'sod it' moment as I too, indulge in these moments! As the first responder says, it's not an every day occurrence and we are human!!

• Like Like x 5
  6. The Fit Fat Lady

The Fit Fat Lady Type 2 · Member

Oh, dear! I would have done that too. But while I don't recommend making this mistake too frequently, couldn't you have been a bit kind to yourself, and bunged in a few extra units of NovoRapid? Or aren't you on insulin yet? I find that knowing I can do this if pushed to the limit actually helps me not to want to do it too often.

I hope you are feeling fine by now, but please don't beat yourself up. There is always another day to 'be good'... and no, I don't think we should blame your daughter. I have three lovely girls, and I always said that it was not their fault that I have diabetes.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #26 The Fit Fat Lady, May 31, 2016 at 11:14 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2016
  7. Catlady19

Catlady19 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No, only Metformin.
    She made me a big chocolate cake with chocolate buttons soon after this and obviously it would have been rude not to have a slice! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  8. The Fit Fat Lady

The Fit Fat Lady Type 2 · Member

I notice you only began this battle in September 2014. I was diagnosed in March 2004, and the fight goes on. But I think it does take those around you a bit of time to realise they shouldn't present you with too many sweet treats. Your good little cook will begin to find other treats for you that are not quite so damaging once she really gets used to how you are. I wish you good health always, and victory in your struggles most of the time!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. mrsmusic

mrsmusic LADA · Active Member

I feel a bit better now, as I'm just back home from a family funeral and the usually excellent diet went a bit haywire...some sweet stuff, cheese and crisps. Struggle at family occasions and with stress on top of it. Was very disappointed in myself, but home now and back in my own kitchen, so hopefully will be fine now. Blood sugar down from 20 to 6 in 5 months..yay.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Apricot

Apricot Type 2 · Active Member

Please do encourage the youngster to bake. Its skills for a life time.

However....slice the cake...and wrap a slice in cling film....and freeze it. Then you only get out of the freezer...a piece...and dont have the whole cake waving at you from the fridge....

Apricot the virtuous (and tells fibs!)

• Like Like x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  11. LaurenMoffitt

LaurenMoffitt Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 6
  12. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. LaurenMoffitt

• Like Like x 2
  14. simplysweet

simplysweet · Newbie

Let us teach our children to COOK before they learn to BAKE then your daughter would have had a healthy dinner on the table.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. EvaVic

EvaVic Type 1 · Member

I find if I deny myself the treat whatever it is to take then as I'll binge later on instead. Better to have one little piece than a whole load of rubbish later

16. LaurenMoffitt

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  17. MikePea

MikePea Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I too would have transgressed, but if you eat the cake you take the punishment. Isn't life unfair.? But you still enjoyed the cake. Yes ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ladybird64

ladybird64 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

That's a bit condescending isn't it? Just because she's baked a cake, it doesn't mean she doesn't know how to cook anything else!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. AlanCSmith

AlanCSmith Type 2 · Newbie

..... and the moral is. .... keep daughter out of the kitchen. My downfall was last week. I opened the fridge door and there it was in red wrapper and gold foil, sitting there, tempting me like little mind, that giant bar of Cadburys Bournville.Couldn't resist .... those four little blocks upset my levels or the rest of the day. So creamy, so melt in the mouth ..... Mmmmmm

• Like Like x 2
  20. Fran6

Fran6 Type 1 · Member

If you like chocolate cake try this one. Your blood sugar levels won't move much, consider nutrition infos. It's better coming out of the fridge. Beware of calories and cholesterol but once in a while is ok. Enjoy!

LOW CARB CHOCOLATE HEAVEN CAKE - WHEAT, SUGAR AND GLUTEN FREE

PREP TIME
    15 mins
    COOK TIME
    40 mins
    TOTAL TIME
    55 mins

Serves: 15!!!
    INGREDIENTS
    • 300g /10.5 oz dark 75% chocolate
    • 175g / 6 oz butter
    • 2 tsp vanilla extract
    • 6 eggs
    • 6 tbs double cream
    • 4 tsp granulated stevia (optional) or sweetener of choice to taste
    INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Melt the chocolate and butter together over a low heat in a saucepan. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before adding the vanilla extract.
    2. In another bowl beat the eggs, cream and stevia together for 3-4 minutes (use a stick blender or hand whisk). It will go frothy and remain runny.
    3. Slowly add the egg mixture to the chocolate mixture in the saucepan, stirring all the time. As you add more egg mixture, the chocolate and butter will thicken to the consistency of custard.
    4. Pour into a prepared tin (see below). Grease a loose bottom cake tin with butter then line the loose bottom with baking paper and push through the outer ring so the baking paper adds a seal and stops the cake mixture from leaking.
    5. Bake at 180C/ 350F

NUTRITION INFORMATION
    Serving size: 1 slice Calories: 237 Fat: 19.7gCarbohydrates: 12.1g Sugar: 11.2gProtein: 3.9g

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook