** Warning on Butter Ghee

charlie000

Just want to let everyone know. When you buy Butter Ghee, make sure it is Pure Butter Ghee, and that it is not formed of sunflower or olive oil.

Here is an example:
https://groceries.asda.com/product/cooking-oils/east-end-pure-butter-ghee-for-cooking/910002823480

This is Pure Butter Ghee:
Ingredients: Butterfat 99.8% minimum, Moisture 0.2% maximum, Flavouring (Ethyl Butyrate 0.01%)

Here is an example of BAD or false Butter Ghee:
https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/KTC-Taj-Mahal-Vegetable-Ghee/448145011

Ingredients
Vegetables Oils (Palm Oil and Rapeseed Oil in varying proportions), Ghee Flavour, Colour: Beta Carotene, Anti-Foaming Agent: E900

I wasn't aware of this, but I have a very good British born friend of Kashmiri heritage, who is open to me asking everything about their culture, food, good brands etc. So if any of you have any questions, I will happily ask them.

Reactions: Shas3

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make my own in my slow cooker, cheaper and very easy - you are right about reading labels, I think it's second nature for me now as I've been doing it so long plus I don't really buy much with a label on these days

charlie000

I make my own in my slow cooker, cheaper and very easy - you are right about reading labels, I think it's second nature for me now as I've been doing it so long plus I don't really buy much with a label on these days
How do you make it? Is it easy?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you make it? Is it easy?
Just put a load of butter in the pot on low for about 6 hours, then switch off the cooker and let it cool totally, tip out and cut the crud off the bottom, bottle up and keep it in the fridge - easy :)

D

Deleted Account

Just put a load of butter in the pot on low for about 6 hours, then switch off the cooker and let it cool totally, tip out and cut the crud off the bottom, bottle up and keep it in the fridge - easy :)
Do you use salted or unsalted butter?
Does it make any difference?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ok, possible stupid question alert - what part do you keep? the liquid or the stuff at the bottom?

Reactions: HSSS

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy butter when it’s cheap, bung it in a saucepan on a low heat and leave it to go through its various stages of bubbling and froth, scraping the bottom occasionally.
The end stage is when the milk solids are at the bottom (darker, small solid pieces). Pour the hot stuff into a container through any bit of clean cloth and it’s done.
It’s shelf stable so no need to refrigerate.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The burn point of butter is low due to the milk solids in it so is not a brilliant way to fry anything. The burning point of ghee is awesome so some serious frying can go on without ruining food and getting it gets cooked properly.

We only fry mushrooms in butter, and they are fried fairly slowly, so we don't have a problem. We use lard for other frying.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We only fry mushrooms in butter, and they are fried fairly slowly, so we don't have a problem. We use lard for other frying.

Ah! Thanks for the clarification, you made it sound like you fried everything in butter and it’s useless for most things.