waxing ?

cupcake1

i have bben looking at trying to wax my legs and i read the boxes and they say not use if you have diabetes ?
just wondered why and what brand i should use ?

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooops I've never noticed that :oops: I've used the Veet ones a few times but to be fair I don't think it's worth the hassle anyway because the hairs really don't stay away as long as all the boxes claim!

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got a fair bit of experience of waxing. (My back, that is. Hello ladies...)

It hurts like hell. Worse than a tattoo.

The first time is ALWAYS the worst. I remember my first time, I couldn't believe the size of the roots on those hairs! After the first time, it got less and less painful, and those roots get smaller and smaller.

Don't let me put you off. I'm sure it's not so bad for girls, and legs won't hurt as much as backs.

I'd say go for it. Just make sure you press the strips on firmly, and pull away as fast as you can. Just get it overwith ASAP! :wink:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I had electrolysis done on my legs and armpits - it hurt in those days but I'm told it doesn't hurt now with more modern equipment. It takes more time than one waxing but add up the time of all the times you have to get it done, or time you spend doing it yourself - then the total time is quicker for electrolysis. I think there is even a laser treatment now. Once it's done you are completely smooth permanently and need never worry about unwanted hair again. I don't know how it is for diabetics though as it was a long time before I was diagnosed. The needle doesn't break the skin - it just goes into the hair follicle. Laser of course is even better - in expert hands of course. Maybe we have a beautician/practician on the forum who can tell us? It costs more than wax of course but I think it was well worth it.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My guess is that all of these warnings are because of the loss of sensation that some diabetics have in hands/feet and legs due to vascular probs? You would therefore not know if something was too hot, too cold etc.

I would perhaps discuss it with your Doc or diabetes nurse.

Ali

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
If you plan to use waxing as a method of hair removal you should consider this warning about who shouldn't use it.........

There are some people –and some situations - when waxing should be avoided completely. These are:

If you have diabetes. People with diabetes can be much more susceptible to infection than others. Ask your GP if you are concerned, and avoid waxing completely on the leg area if you have any diabetes-related foot or leg condition.

If you are taking certain acne medications. Taking acne medications such as Tretinoin and Accutane can be dangerous if waxing, and good salons will not allow people on such medications to have any waxing treatments at all. Keep in mind that acne medication can stay in your system for three months to a year after you stop using it.

If you have a bad sunburn. Wait until it clears up completely, or you – and your skin – may regret having that wax.

If you have lots of moles. Ask your dermatologist or GP first and never wax over a mole that is raised.

If you are in between laser hair removal treatments. Waxing in between can interfere with laser hair removal.

When you are menstruating. Many women are much more sensitive to pain when they are menstruating. It might be a good idea to wait about a week after your period ends before waxing.

You Can Never Be Too Careful

Not my words.......Google it if you want the article.

Snodger

this is one of my pet hates - that they put stuff on the packet but don't explain WHY. So in fact you can't make a sensible decision. The stuff cugila posted is really helpful - why can't they include something like that on/inside the waxing packets? grrr

It's like certain medications (like decongestants) where they say 'not suitable for diabetics' and you are left wondering, do they mean because of the sugar coating (in which case I'll adjust for it) or do they mean it actually raises blood sugar because of some other action (in which case I'll adjust more for it, or leave it alone) or do they mean it does some other unspecified terrible thing to diabetics (in which case I won't touch it).

Heblady

When I was diagnosed, the girl who usually did my waxing refuses to do it..said they couldnt treat diabetics..I now use a lady shave myself..and I dont care for it one bit :eek:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Go to a different salon, maybe? Don't tell 'em your diabetic. Not waxing diabetics is a precaution. If you had a skin disorder, you'd be mad to get waxed. But simply having diabetes isn't reason enough for me not to do something.

Use your own judgement. if, after waxing, you have problems - don't get waxed again. But if you've done it before with no problems, keep doing it.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The salon I go to ask for a letter from your GP. I have never had any problems with waxing - considering I have been going for waxings every 4 weeks for many years - I was probably undiagnosed for three of those years and never had any problems.

Where I go they are very experienced and professional - In my opinion the things that could cause problems for diabetics is too hot a wax or too cold (drag & tear the skin) bad technique when pulling off the strips etc. Basically someone who doesn't know what they are doing - I would never attempt to do my own waxing but that's just me and my opinion :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I have very thin skin on my shins following a couple of goes of what used to be called thrombo-phlebitis. I can't remember what they call it now - begins with a 'c' - senior moment! :lol:

Anyway, it means I shouldn't wax and don't really like to shave either. Can anyone recommend a really easy, uncomplicated depilatory cream?

Many thanks!

Viv 8)

Lozzie

Nair for hair all the way :)

Very uncomplicated no shaving required and it washes off in the shower :)

happy hair removal :)

One of the biggest problems with waxing for diabetics is the hair folicles left behind, they can often become infected and as you might know diabetics take longer to heal than your average leg waxer :lol:

lozzie
x

Heblady

Patch said:
Go to a different salon, maybe? Don't tell 'em your diabetic. Not waxing diabetics is a precaution. If you had a skin disorder, you'd be mad to get waxed. But simply having diabetes isn't reason enough for me not to do something.

Use your own judgement. if, after waxing, you have problems - don't get waxed again. But if you've done it before with no problems, keep doing it.
Ummm :oops: :oops: we only have the ONE :lol:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Quite right, AnnieP, it is cellulitis - senior moment is well over now :roll:

Thanks for the 'Nair' tip, Lozzie. I'll try it.

Viv 8)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Quick question - is it just a UK and US thing to wax?
I know that traditionally the French don't bother removing underarm hair - do they leave their legs alone as well?
Just a thought - one alternative to waxing is to leave your legs as nature intended.
I think most men will not be put off in any way by this.

Cheers

LGC

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Remember on board ship one of the German female Crew was sunbathing on top deck
we went and placed a saucer of milk under her hairy arm pit
We all hid behind a bulkhead taking photos two at time until all the giggles awoke her. :lol:

She did not get it ? A British Thing

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
Does anyone know if the NoNo hair removal is ok to use? Was thinking of getting it