Wearing pump...

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
He sounds like a winner!! I haven't dated since I had my daughter but I always wonder how weird it would be for an outsider to come into my diabetic world. I worry how they'd react.

Although it was our first date yesterday, I did know him already... So I guess that makes things slightly easier... But I do still anticipate some things will be weird for him... At this stage he's really interested in it all though which is nice :)

My last relationship broke down cos of the D definitely -- but I think a lot of that was to do with me being quite stressed out about starting insulin and him being really not all that keen to see that I might be finding it stressful... Which just accumulated and bubbled into we eventually broke up.

I then went through a patch where; like you, I wondered if anyone would be able to step into/share my new world... But in talking my fears over with an old friend; he related two tales of two separate friends he had who both had had all sorts of health 'challenges' to overcome very early on in their relationships -- and both relationships are still strong (one couple now married) -- so it made me see that with the right person, you figure it out... Made me hopeful :)

... In case you ever decide to date again... :)

Reactions: 11 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Good for you Artemis,I've been married to a non D and she hates needles,she looks after me like a old mother hen.We have been married for 47 years and had 4 wonderful children and still very much in love,she can lift me on my bad day,yes,I still get them after over 52 years of the big D but thankfully they are few and far between.there is someone out there for you for sure.GOOD LUCK.

Reactions: 10 people

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
N'awww! Love this @yingtong! Thanks for sharing.... more reassurances that not everyone sees the D as a burden / barrier... that some people can see past that and see and love the person behind it :) :)

@Robinredbreast see; there's always still hope/a chance we will find our "one"... :) :) :)

Reactions: 2 people

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe I need to date another diabetic! They'd be the most understanding of anyone. We need a dating section on the forum...

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Maybe I need to date another diabetic! They'd be the most understanding of anyone. We need a dating section on the forum...

Hi, I think most are taken and I am not in my 30's any more. In the beginning, I used to laugh to myself at the crass, insensitive and downright rude and suggestive things men say, but over time the constant despair is clouding my judgement and dragging me down :( and I haven't mentioned my diabetes to many, but it's great that people here are still optimistic and are kind in their words for support, but honestly, I might as well give up.:banghead: If any one has been on a dating site, they will know what it's like. The problem is, some men see it as a sweet shop/candy store, a pick n' mix ( some men want ladies 10.15. 20 years younger, and they, the men are,...............................well, I don't think they have looked in the mirror for a long time lol) :rolleyes: Good idea of yours, maybe run it pass Giverny/Admin ?

Take care RRB :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
N'awww! Love this @yingtong! Thanks for sharing.... more reassurances that not everyone sees the D as a burden / barrier... that some people can see past that and see and love the person behind it :) :)

@Robinredbreast see; there's always still hope/a chance we will find our "one"... :) :) :)

Thanks Artemis, I do like an optimist :rolleyes: :cool: Take care.

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I think most are taken and I am not in my 30's any more. In the beginning, I used to laugh to myself at the crass, insensitive and downright rude and suggestive things men say, but over time the constant despair is clouding my judgement and dragging me down :( and I haven't mentioned my diabetes to many, but it's great that people here are still optimistic and are kind in their words for support, but honestly, I might as well give up.:banghead: If any one has been on a dating site, they will know what it's like. The problem is, some men see it as a sweet shop/candy store, a pick n' mix ( some men want ladies 10.15. 20 years younger, and they, the men are,...............................well, I don't think they have looked in the mirror for a long time lol) :rolleyes: Good idea of yours, maybe run it pass Giverny/Admin ?

Take care RRB :)
I agree dating sites are aweful, no chance meeting someone on there. And I can't justify the ones where u have to pay, they're expensive! I've been to diabetic group meetings hoping to maybe meet someone but nothing! It's hard enough to meet someone as a single parent as it is!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I agree dating sites are aweful, no chance meeting someone on there. And I can't justify the ones where u have to pay, they're expensive! I've been to diabetic group meetings hoping to maybe meet someone but nothing! It's hard enough to meet someone as a single parent as it is!!

Snap Charisma, I am a single parent too ( but an older one) and my child is now a teen, I think it is now 'safer' as she is older and okay to have a 'man about the house', but that, is proving extremely difficult. I have been on my own, no boyfriends or partner/s for over 10 years.
I blocked someone yesterday, a couple of members know what went on and well, I will dust myself off and try to be positive ( I know it wont last though) :rolleyes: but I'm a fighter, so either give up, give in, or give everything :D
Good luck x

Reactions: 6 people

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sorry to hear something tricky went on... Hope you're ok x and keep up the fight!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Although it was our first date yesterday, I did know him already... So I guess that makes things slightly easier... But I do still anticipate some things will be weird for him... At this stage he's really interested in it all though which is nice :)

My last relationship broke down cos of the D definitely -- but I think a lot of that was to do with me being quite stressed out about starting insulin and him being really not all that keen to see that I might be finding it stressful... Which just accumulated and bubbled into we eventually broke up.

I then went through a patch where; like you, I wondered if anyone would be able to step into/share my new world... But in talking my fears over with an old friend; he related two tales of two separate friends he had who both had had all sorts of health 'challenges' to overcome very early on in their relationships -- and both relationships are still strong (one couple now married) -- so it made me see that with the right person, you figure it out... Made me hopeful :)

... In case you ever decide to date again... :)

Hi, how did your date 'meet' go ? I have my fingers crossed X

victry77

This is a good topic ;)

I have been on and off dating sites for almost four years. I remember starting out very optimistic and saw it as something that was full of potential but I can definitely now say that my spirit is well and truly broken, ha ha.

To be fair, I've been out on lots of dates but the vast majority were just average dates with average men and all rather dull. I don't wish to say "average men" in a derogatory fashion, like I'm a cut above, but simply put, they were nice enough but we just shared a complete lack of spark, chemistry and attraction.

Funny, the very first date I went on, I thought I'd met my soul mate. I even mentioned my diabetes because the drink he got me was carby (they'd served him the wrong type) and he mentioned he was coeliac, so we had a bit of a laugh sharing our medical history. Unfortunately, though, it never worked out.

Might sound hard to believe, but in my almost 4yrs, I have been contacted by three T1 men. I knew they were T1 because they all mentioned insulin in their profiles :) They didn't know I was T1 as I don't mention it in my profile.

First one, I arranged a date with, but the day before he decided we lived too far apart. He was the next city over, so fair enough, but have no idea why he even contacted me in the first place if I was too far away. Why even search for women in my area?

Second one, was a brilliant email conversationalist but it became increasingly apparent that all he wanted to do was play email pin-pong and not meet in real life. We arranged a date due to me taking the initiative, but he flaked out, never to be heard from again.

Third, was recent, he had been T1 for 8yrs (same as me) and when I made a little joke about hypos, he claimed he'd never ever had one. In disbelief, I said surely this was not possible. He totally insisted that due to him being careful and well-controlled he had never been hypo and he always knew when he needed sugar (??) Turned out he thought having a hypo meant being unconscious and needing an ambulance(!!) The convo never went any further as beyond the D talk I wasn't interested anyway.

I'm not sure, you know. I think I'm about as much diabetes as I want in my life. Also, it would depend on the other person's outlook and how they manage their condition. I just know I couldn't put up with someone who was nonchalant about educating and looking after themselves and/or had a very bleak, 'wallowing on the misery of it all' outlook.

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a good topic ;)

I have been on and off dating sites for almost four years. I remember starting out very optimistic and saw it as something that was full of potential but I can definitely now say that my spirit is well and truly broken, ha ha.

To be fair, I've been out on lots of dates but the vast majority were just average dates with average men and all rather dull. I don't wish to say "average men" in a derogatory fashion, like I'm a cut above, but simply put, they were nice enough but we just shared a complete lack of spark, chemistry and attraction.

Funny, the very first date I went on, I thought I'd met my soul mate. I even mentioned my diabetes because the drink he got me was carby (they'd served him the wrong type) and he mentioned he was coeliac, so we had a bit of a laugh sharing our medical history. Unfortunately, though, it never worked out.

Might sound hard to believe, but in my almost 4yrs, I have been contacted by three T1 men. I knew they were T1 because they all mentioned insulin in their profiles :) They didn't know I was T1 as I don't mention it in my profile.

First one, I arranged a date with, but the day before he decided we lived too far apart. He was the next city over, so fair enough, but have no idea why he even contacted me in the first place if I was too far away. Why even search for women in my area?

Second one, was a brilliant email conversationalist but it became increasingly apparent that all he wanted to do was play email pin-pong and not meet in real life. We arranged a date due to me taking the initiative, but he flaked out, never to be heard from again.

Third, was recent, he had been T1 for 8yrs (same as me) and when I made a little joke about hypos, he claimed he'd never ever had one. In disbelief, I said surely this was not possible. He totally insisted that due to him being careful and well-controlled he had never been hypo and he always knew when he needed sugar (??) Turned out he thought having a hypo meant being unconscious and needing an ambulance(!!) The convo never went any further as beyond the D talk I wasn't interested anyway.

I'm not sure, you know. I think I'm about as much diabetes as I want in my life. Also, it would depend on the other person's outlook and how they manage their condition. I just know I couldn't put up with someone who was nonchalant about educating and looking after themselves and/or had a very bleak, 'wallowing on the misery of it all' outlook.
I very much agree with that last part! I would only partner up with a diabetic if they were well controlled and took good care. I wouldn't even go out with a non diabetic now if they ate too much unhealthy foods. It's hard enough trying to keep myself motivated never mind someone else. If they ate well and took good care of their blood sugars I think we could both be a good team!

when I look at online dating and profiles I ofter wonder if they would mention they were diabetic or not! I should
Put it on mine really, could be a good conversation starter!! When I'm in restaurants I always inject at the table now and look around to see if anyone is ever doing the same. Never seen another fellow diabetic out though :-(

victry77

I very much agree with that last part! I would only partner up with a diabetic if they were well controlled and took good care. I wouldn't even go out with a non diabetic now if they ate too much unhealthy foods. It's hard enough trying to keep myself motivated never mind someone else. If they ate well and took good care of their blood sugars I think we could both be a good team!

Yes, exactly. You would definitely need to be on the same page. I think my problem would be that if I meet someone who has T1, I would just be inclined to chat about that all the time, because I'd just want to know all the details of their management and all their diabetic experiences. I'd question whether I was actually really interested in the man or his diabetes control ;)

when I look at online dating and profiles I ofter wonder if they would mention they were diabetic or not! I should put it on mine really, could be a good conversation starter!!

Must admit, I've never been inclined to mention it. I suppose I look at it like, if I seem like I'm making a big deal out of it then other people will make a big deal out of it, too. Not that mentioning it in a profile is necessarily making a "big deal" but everything is much more magnified and comes under more scrutiny on dating profiles, doesn't it?

Also, that chap I mentioned who was coeliac, his best friend's sister was T1 and he actually told me that she was in such a bad way, her teeth were falling out, hair falling out, was like a walking skeleton (which is absolutely awful) but he added that she had her family driven crazy due to neglect and not taking insulin, etc. However, he admitted that he just thought all T1 diabetics ended up like this and couldn't believe that me and her shared the same condition. So, imagine if he had seen I was T1 on my profile, lol. He'd have thought, "No bloody way!" But instead, he met me in person and realised diabetes was just a small part of me.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Relating to many of the other comments about dating on this thread... I've done online dating and have mixed feelings about it... I met two long term-ish ex boyfriends through it (one 3yrs, one 1.5yrs) -- but many other similar experiences to what you've all described above too.

I'm intrigued that the person I'm going on a second date tonight with is someone I've known on and off for 9yrs... He'll be the first person I've known as a friend, then dated, since I was in my teens probably... Be interesting if it plays a factor in the outcome... :) :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It went well RRB -- second date tonight! Will keep you posted... :) x

Wonderful, I am so happy for you, Have a lovely time x
smiley-face-wallpaper-014.jpg

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's hard enough finding someone that you get on with well enough to consider spending a life with when you use the entire population as a selection pool. Restricting it to the 135,000 people either of the opposite or same sex that have T1 really shrinks your available pool!

Reactions: 7 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It went well RRB -- second date tonight! Will keep you posted... :) x
Hope it all goes well for you @-Artemis-

When I'm in restaurants I always inject at the table now and look around to see if anyone is ever doing the same. Never seen another fellow diabetic out though :-(

I saw my first other pump in the wild in a restaurant the other week. It was actually my 3 year old who pointed out "that boy has your pump Daddy". Had to admit when I looked, I wondered how it wasn't attached to me as it was exactly the same colour and model.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's hard enough finding someone that you get on with well enough to consider spending a life with when you use the entire population as a selection pool. Restricting it to the 135,000 people either of the opposite or same sex that have T1 really shrinks your available pool!

Never a truer word spoken.....er, written! The whole dating thing is fraught with stress as it is, and I often gave up finding anyone at all. Narrowing down one's options is definitely a bad idea!

I tried online dating too and wasn't a fan. I know it's supposed to be a common, normal thing now, but I found most people far too intense, or overly keen.

@-Artemis- I hope it goes well. Friendship is a great basis for a relationship, in my opinion :)

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aha that's true!! I Guess it won't be the beautiful diabetic fairytale I was hoping for