Weekly weigh in - Fridays

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday, I weighed 140.0 on my digital scale before my bath midday, but then after I was down to 139.2 even with my foot and a half of wet hair. So I am down again. I may be ill. Who knows? Maybe the temporary blindness I woke with this morning will be partly diagnosed with some other stuff by the MRI I will have tomorrow, maybe they will find nothing except artifacts of old problems

In the seminar that Dr. Bernstein gives once a month, which is free, and which I am listening to only for the third time, he brought up several things about weight. At 5'8", formerly 5'9". even though I still have some residual adipose tissue in the wrong central places on my frame, I am not otherwise overweight. Nor am I underweight. And Bernstein brings up the issue of if you are not overweight, can you really be type 2, and if not, what are you? Later, like in his book, he brings up the fact that if you are adding good fats on a low carb high fat, you cannot gain weight from this, and even goes into the reasons why this does not occur for either type 1 or type two. For a limited time, you can hear this lecture.

Unfortunately, I am not intelligent enough or learned enough to explain what he was talking about, but just accept it. I am kind of sick and tired of being sick and tired so I have resolved to maybe order some of the tests from his store and test myself. iI am tired of begging my once over lightly endocrinologist to give me more serious testing for antibodies and suchlike, or to have them give me usable advice, so why not do the testing myself and use the results, if there are any, to jockey for better care? I once was overweight, but that was 11 years ago. But since getting down to more or less optimal weight, I am nowhere near conquering my diabetes like some of the brave guys and gals on this forum.

Bernstein's discussions of protein were interesting and what I got out of those discussion is that he feels a high protein diet has kept him alive for the 70 years he has been diabetic of his total 82 years, but there is more.

If you missed last night's Ask Dr. Bernstein Webcast and Teleconference on, Wednesday, May 25th, you can listen to view the presentation for a limited time by going to this link :

IiA-MFnPgIHldYYfTwCCSq2zoB1toTdrvqqO4uumxBAgDWJ4R34SFyCxKEWQ5Zq5NcF92yEuBUbMZ0K3rr2MCWPiLZ9lgfvqJ6up2krgtrD-IF2Hz5_9Y7wLLPNCC-PJKzQdYg=s0-d-e1-ft

http://iTeleseminar.com/84396342

The next webcast is June 29th at 8:00 pm EDT, 7:00 pm CDT, 5:00 pm PDT, and for our overseas guests, 12:00 am UTC (Wednesday).

Put all of the teleseminar dates for 2016 in your calendar: June 29th, July 27th, August 31, September 28th, October 26th, November 30th, and December 28th 2016.

If you have a friend who you feel would benefit from listening in to the next teleseminar, they can register here.

Check out Dr. Bernstein's store, if you want, at: www.doctorsoption.com.

He has a forum, which is very difficult to navigate without reading thousands of posts.

I am not trying to discourage you from doing anything you choose to, but I will comment, if I may?

I understand you are not in the UK, so your own experience may differ from my own, but I would urge you to consider whether your medical advisors would take any notice of any test you had done, not ordered or sanctioned by themselves - especially if the test (results) are from another country. In my experience, the Doc cited not being able to be reassured of the "quality" of the the blood draw, the tests of their analysis.

In my own case, I'm sure it didn't help that some of the test results on the panel presented were expressed on differing scales, requiring translation into UK scales.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe you are right. But when necessary testing is not being done, I don't see where sitting around and not doing testing is getting me information that might help me. Ultimately, trust has to work two ways. For some companies, no prescription, no test so if you don't have someone both competent and caring on your side, you don't get the test . Period.

One of the things I am thinking is whether, say, I had a C-telopeptides test in 2006, whether repeating that test in 2016 would even be of benefit? It would be nice to see whether standards of care in the UK extend beyond the every six month A1C, crassist of kidney function test and a yearly looksee by podiatrist. I have never had, for example, a complete thyroid workup. I'm trying to think preventatively and really get my blood sugars under control without going on an all broth diet and intermittant fasting on a couple of heart conditions..

This forum is great but at my age and with my conditions, I see a few women on the forum similar to me, but the one that seemed closest is dead. Gone. Lost the struggle.

To reiterate, you can spend your cash as you wish. I just wanted to open your mind to the concept that, in my experience, you can rock up to your Doctor with the results of private tests only to have them completely ignored if the Doc in front of you (or another in their practise) has not instructed the test. That's all.

I have paid for tests for my own peace of mind more than once, when overseas, so I don't rail against that concept.

Care for T2s in UK is variable, but there is a list we are supposed to have. They are listed here:
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Monitoring/15-healthcare-essentials/

In total, I have had 6 of the 15, although to be fair some elements are inappropriate to me - smoking, pregnancy as examples.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
List is useful but some of those things on the list should be more than once a year? In America, two ludicrous items on the list are getting someone on a scale with all their clothes and shoes on and then, without any rest whatsoever after a stressful commute and an attempt to get a parking space and trying to make Mr. appointment on time, the right arm will be grabbed and the automatic machine will take your highest blood pressure of the month while squeezing you half to death.

There are guidelines suggesting the frequency of some of those items, like blood tests. https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well I'm at 12St 6Lb today so that's another 2Lb lost trying to keeping it slow and easy now. :)

Reactions: 6 people

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lost half a pound this week, bit disappointed as I was good but 8 1/2 so far - going in the right direction.

Reactions: 2 people

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No weight loss this week, I guess it's really slowed down as I am no longer overweight. My body is hanging onto every calorie!

I'm going to think positive and be careful this coming week. Husband has just bought a new bbq so I guess lots of grilled meat will be on the menu this weekend.

Hooe everyone else's weight results are good

Reactions: 4 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
After the 10st I reached last Friday, I had gone back down to 9st 12lbs on Monday and have remained at that weight up to today.
I am relieved about that, I don't want to go above 10st if possible.

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
Well done on the HBA1C result, and I hope the op goes well.
Thanks @TooManyCrisps I'm due another Hba1c next month, I will now have to be a little bit stricter with the diet, the extra exercise at the gym allowed me a bit of leeway for treats etc.

Hopefully I'll be hitting the gym again in around two months, until then it's just going to be a bit of walking.

Reactions: 9 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Well done Myangelsmom. Every pound is an achievement:)

I hit 11st 13lbs last week and another 1lb this week. Feels amazing to be in the 11 stone bracket. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 7 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm delighted with my early weigh-in to try and reduce the distance between weighing myself on a monday evening to saturday morning.
This morning I weighed 126.70kg on my scales. Hospital scales can be a few lbs out compared to mine so I'll see my weight is on 16th june.
By my scales reckoning I have lost 2.70kgs = 6lb loss this week.
Mind you I've just had 2 pieces of toast which isn't part of my plan so I think hubby is a feeder. lol

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm delighted with my early weigh-in to try and reduce the distance between weighing myself on a monday evening to saturday morning.
This morning I weighed 126.70kg on my scales. Hospital scales can be a few lbs out compared to mine so I'll see my weight is on 16th june.
By my scales reckoning I have lost 2.70kgs = 6lb loss this week.
Mind you I've just had 2 pieces of toast which isn't part of my plan so I think hubby is a feeder. lol

Wooooo... That's amazing... Big high 5

Mine was only 1lb last week and this week, so about 7 to 13 lbs to reach my doc's best guess at my Personal Fat Threshold (15%) of body weight:)

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wooooo... That's amazing... Big high 5

Mine was only 1lb last week and this week, so about 7 to 13 lbs to reach my doc's best guess at my Personal Fat Threshold (15%) of body weight:)

You're nearly there then, @KevinPotts. How does that compare with your BMI? My BMI has come down form 29.9 on diagnosis, to 25.0 exactly at the moment, I'd quite like to see it at around 22 but that means losing another stone I think. According to all the weight charts, my ideal weight is from 7 stone 9lbs upwards. I haven't been that weight since I was at primary school! If I can get below 10 stone then I would be very pleased.

scouse13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
Weight yoyoing around
Today leaving gym 75.8 kg
Will reduce steroids again on monday.

Reactions: 6 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You're nearly there then, @KevinPotts. How does that compare with your BMI? My BMI has come down form 29.9 on diagnosis, to 25.0 exactly at the moment, I'd quite like to see it at around 22 but that means losing another stone I think. According to all the weight charts, my ideal weight is from 7 stone 9lbs upwards. I haven't been that weight since I was at primary school! If I can get below 10 stone then I would be very pleased.

My BMI is now 24 and like you if like to get it to around 20-22.

With daily running and 3x week resistance training, I've never felt as fit and strong.

Keep goody goody, we can chivvy each other along:)

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great results on your BMI @TooManyCrisps and @KevinPotts mine is now 22.7 and think that's as low as I should go. Started around 81 kgs and was 71 on Friday, I'd like to hover around 70/71 I think - otherwise there will be nothing left of me. A BMI of 20 would take some achieving I think?

Firmly put my weight loss (and increased vigour for life) down to LCHF!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Great results on your BMI @TooManyCrisps and @KevinPotts mine is now 22.7 and think that's as low as I should go. Started around 81 kgs and was 71 on Friday, I'd like to hover around 70/71 I think - otherwise there will be nothing left of me. A BMI of 20 would take some achieving I think?

I think you're right and I'm probably being over ambitious.

Just out of interest, 4 years ago just before our 3rd child got married I was 17 stone 8 lbs...yep...that big, I'm 6 ft tall.

This last weigh in I was 11st 12lbs...so probs no more than 12 lbs to go...I might even then have a 6pack...haha...first time in my 54 years:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Just checked your spot on. At 70kg my docs target, that would make my BMI just over 21...which is pretty accurate for my frame. So here goes with those last 12 lbs...losing about 1lb a week at the moment.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just checked your spot on. At 70kg my docs target, that would make my BMI just over 21...which is pretty accurate for my frame. So here goes with those last 12 lbs...losing about 1lb a week at the moment.

Wow, you've made great progress already @KevinPotts - no wonder you are feeling so good!