weight gain on low carb high fat diet

James2

hi All
i had to finish the newcastle diet as i was admitted to hospital with a non diabetic problem, i lost two stone ,so i had a week of phasing back food no weight gain and went on to low carb high fat diet and put 5lbs on in a week !, i can only assume i got carried away with butter ,cream and avocado and Brazilian nuts or is this normal for this diet and then you lose weight ?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you lost weight doing an extremely low calorie diet, a bit of rebound weight gain is to be expected. Your body is like WAIT!!!! He's feeding me !!!!! grab it !!! As long as you are not going crazy on the calories, and dairy and nuts are the most calorie dense, you should be ok. Also I do not know what your carb level is but it is different for each person. You may be eating too many carbs. Some cannot go above about 20 grams per day, others can go much higher.

James2

Hi chalup
i think it is very much about adjusting this till i work out the right ratio , i thought i might put on some weight for the reason you mention about coming off the Newcastle diet ,however that did not happen in my transition week as went off the Newcastle diet and introduced a wider range of foods.
i am following diabetic uk low carb high fat diet and am on a 100 grams of carbs a day as they actually gave a higher range but as i had been on the other diet a 100 grams seemed generous , i will see how things are with adjusting things it is a bit of trial and error
regards
James2

Reactions: SWUSA_

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LCHF is not meant to be a weight loss diet but more of a glucose management one for us (amongst other things), so while people can and do lose weight on it, they can also gain and maintain weight. So you may need to watch how much fat you're consuming! There are various low carb nutritional calculators on line which can help you work out a carbs/protein/fats balance to suit your individual needs.

And remember too much in the way of both fats and carbs at the same time tend to be a lethal combination that will probably gain you weight.

IMO the diabetes.co.uk low carb program is quite generous on the carbs front, and you'll find some people, as @chalup suggested, go down as low as 20g a day (or occasionally even lower!). I've found between 30 and 50g will generally keep me where I want to be, and most importantly is sustainable as a long term lifestyle. So aim for a level that gives you the results you want, and that you can live without falling off the wagon.

Robbity

James2

Dear Robbity
thanks for that i need to lose weight and regulate my blood sugars ,so i will try to play around with it.
regards
James 2

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
When I cut back on nuts and cheese by using them as snacks only (liver dump blocks) my weight gain stopped. I was overeating on protein and not enough veg. My second attempt in the new year might be more successfully in weight loss but my bgs are much more stable now since discovering lchf diet with less insulin than pre-lchf.

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm down at between 20-30g carbs per day, glucose now close to normal and weight coming down nicely. I intend to stay at this level until both glucose and weight are in the normal range, ideally without the metformin I currently take. When I reach that blessed place, I will probably experiment a bit to see if I can tolerate a bit more carbs. Just cos - you know - I'd like to eat sweet potato more than once in a blue moon and enjoy fruit other than berries some days. But I am convinced of the benefit of being in ketosis, so I plan on staying in it most of the time.

I can always drink more cream if I get too thin.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
when using Atkins for weightloss I had to eat at least 60gm of carbs a day in order to prevent too rapid weightloss - I tried to stick to 2Kg loss each week. I found that I had to stick to certain kinds of foods in order to stay in control. It was not the amount of carbs but the sources of them - I can't eat legumes for instance. By abandoning Atkins and eating things which were supposed to lower cholesterol, I put on 30lb and then found I had diabetes.
After dieting I have always seen it advised that foods are reintroduced gradually, to avoid a rapid 'rebound' such as you experienced.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Resurgam - one of the best things about an LCHF diet is that it isn't actually a short term diet, but is also, if you choose it to be, a long term "lifestyle" change. So far I've managed to keep my weight down to close to what it was two and a half years ago after a large initial loss - and I can still eat well.

Robbity

Reactions: Tannedhaggis

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No you didnt really gain fat But when we are eating much carby foods it is important to remember that each carb we absorbe into our tisue also bind about 3 grams of water into our body which also is the reason why initiale going low carb People can sometimes loose like 10 pounds the first week which isnt really fats But released liquid

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Resurgam - one of the best things about an LCHF diet is that it isn't actually a short term diet, but is also, if you choose it to be, a long term "lifestyle" change. So far I've managed to keep my weight down to close to what it was two and a half years ago after a large initial loss - and I can still eat well.

Robbity
I just wish I had doctors who understood low carb - thirty years ago I was ordered to stop low carbing when pregnant with the threat of being hospitalised if I did not - then when my cholesterol levels were high it was likened to a death sentence, but I suspect that I was prediabetic for decades and only the Atkins diet kept it at bay for so long.

Reactions: chalup