Weight gain

gilliananne7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having lost 28lb in the 6 months before realising I was diabetic. I had a month on tablets then last 4 months on humalog mix25 with assumed LADA. Weight gain is now becoming a serious problem. I've already put 21lb back on and I'm now worried about where this will stop. I also have hypothyroidism and coeliac condition. I'm 42lb heavier than 21 years ago when I was a bit too skinny. At 5'4" and 11st 7lb I'm now concerned that I may be putting on weight I'll never lose again. I eat healthy food apart from a weakness for cake. My blood sugar is well controlled. Any ideas?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
welcome gilliananne7 :)

don´t you get some levothyroxine aganst your hypothyroidism... ?

they should give you a litlle supplement for that so that you get normalized your thyroid hormine levels

maybe you should stop cake and use some sugarfree gum instead...

gilliananne7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
welcome gilliananne7 :)

don´t you get some levothyroxine aganst your hypothyroidism... ?

they should give you a litlle supplement for that so that you get normalized your thyroid hormine levels

maybe you should stop cake and use some sugarfree gum instead...
Thanks. I'll see if doc recommends a higher dose of levothyroxine. My thyroid hasn't worked for 25 years and the dose is the same.

Reactions: Freema

gilliananne7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. I'll see if doc recommends a higher dose of levothyroxine. My thyroid hasn't worked for 25 years and the dose is the same.
Giving up cake seems like the end! Maybe I'll try to make it sugar free. Can't help thinking it will then be bread though. I'm much too old for gum!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Giving up cake seems like the end! Maybe I'll try to make it sugar free. Can't help thinking it will then be bread though. I'm much too old for gum!
Lots of recipes online for sugar free low carb cakes and desserts. Many for cheesecake in particular. You might want to speak to your doctor and also research low carb diets if you have not already. Less carbs = less insulin = less weight gain.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your other conditions may not be helping but you must keep the carbs down if you want to control your weight. Insulin is good news for us but it does enable the body to metabolise and use glucose which it will store as fat if you have too many. My wife makes Molly cake (Google it) with no added sugar. Fruit cake doesn't need any added sugar but does still have carbs.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I second the advice to make sure your thyroid meds are correct. That sounds like it could be part of your issues.

Also, if you find you're 'eating to the insulin' you may want to ask about changing to a basal/bolus regime where you can more easily adjust your insulin dose to your meals.