Weight gain

Gardener

I have been diabetic for ten years now,and this month i have put on one stone, i inject before every meal my reading is 7.4 i dont eat any more than i did before so does insulin cause weight gain.
Gardener..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Not Type 1 but I believe it does, are you counting your carbs.

Gardener

Hi, no i dont count carbs,i dont eat potatoes,or bread,or pasta,i dont drink or smoke,i just exist, diabetes has ruined my life,i am extremely active as i am an estate gardener,today we have shovelled nearly 5tons of manure onto the gardens,so exercise isnt the problem. I must have a life,! Dont tell me to eat vegetables for the rest of my life or there wont be one! Sorry if i am unloading here but nobody listens to me . My diabetic nurse isnt understanding to my situation she just tells me to try harder!!
Thank you

Denise02

Hi I've been type 1 for over 5yrs nw and only going by my experience I put on over a stone and a half it might not seem much but it was a lot 2 me so I would say yes u do put on weight

blueeyed81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, everyone is different and ive been told by my dsn that insulin does make you put on some weight due to how it works, its not hard really think bout it, before being diagnosed one major symptom is weight loss due to sugars bein continuously high snd having to eat away at fat stores for energy so if you rectifying thr situation and your body has no need to eat at fat stores your body has kept so you will replenish these stores and put weight on.

walterrichmand

Many people want to loose their weight but some people are very interesting to gain their weight. I have seen that many people have slim body but it is not good for over slim body. Weight gain is very easy compare to weight loss. Just eat junk food.

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
Insulin has Anabolic qualities so it will increase weight over a period of time, you did not mention if the weight gain is just sitting on your belly or spread over your whole body

saz1902

I was diagnosed as t1 in dec last year. I lost 1 and 1/2 stone before I was diagnosed. My weight has now gone back to where it was. I was told this would happen when I started the insulin.

andybrightman

Definitely, because Insulin helps to use of fat energy and Insulin medicine also controls blood glucose level in our body. So, it might be help you to gain some weight as well.

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
I am currently using Protein drinks to maintain my weight, I will increase the intake when my BG decreases

Its amazing how many recipes are on the net for diabetic eating try the Splenda web-site nice ones on there

You don't have to just exist :thumbup: