Weight gainn.... HELP...

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know I have posted ages ago about this burt am absolutely sick of gaining weight every time I try to be a 'good diabetic'.

Diabetic clinic near me (st johns hospital) are pathetic and I dont know where else to turn.

My gp says to trust the hospital but they have no clue and I am at my wits end.

Any help greatly appreciated. I currently take Lantus (14units) and in all honestly, dont bother my butt with novorapid.

Yeah, I know, stupid, deadly but am so fed up.

funny.guy75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I know I have posted ages ago about this burt am absolutely sick of gaining weight every time I try to be a 'good diabetic'.

Diabetic clinic near me (st johns hospital) are pathetic and I dont know where else to turn.

Any help greatly appreciated. I currently take Lantus (14units) and in all honestly, dont bother my butt with novorapid.

It depends on what you're eating,

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

what type of foods are you eating and are you only taking lantus no bolus x

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know what you mean about weight gain and being a "good" diabetic.Im using the libre and every time i see the line going up i inject novorapid to bring it back to normal.The only way i can stay thin enough is to barely eat but its unsustainable.
Ive thought about low carbing but im not a meat eater and id be sorely restricted i feel.
Im as fed up as you,sorry no advice but great amounts of empathy.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I know how you feel - it’s like you can make a choice between keeping your BG under control or your weight. And I’m afraid it really does come down to the amount of carbs we eat. What do they use to fatten livestock? Grain. They don’t use fat. I’d really recommend looking at switching to a low carb, higher fat way of eating, it’s incredibly satisfying, even if you don’t eat meat, which I don’t, as I’m allergic to it. I write about my food and the effects it has on my glucose levels on my blog and fb page, there’s links in my sig x

Can’t contribute much today as I’m doing family stuff, but normal service will be resumed tomorrow ;)

apost.io

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can be 'fed up' a lot of times...we all have been there (and going back to it).
I think the most important decision is to accept that you have to:
- do insulins (plural, as many per day...)
- prick fingers (or use a CGM) to monitor your levels
As a diabetic for 20 years, gone from 165 pounds to 305 and back to a normal 200 I can understand and relate.

My biggest objection always is not using rapid action insulin. A close friends wife recently was diagnosed with T1D (at the age of 32 - one year after giving birth) and she is refusing to take a rapid action insulin. Going into a 0-carb diet and trying to manage it with Tresiba. At least she has the Libre attached to her arm and she can monitor her levels.

Anyway, what worked for me (and I managed to loose these 100pounds) was:
1. Psychology: I was fed up with being fat...
2. More monitoring in my sugar levels (6-7 times a day with my old finger pricking device..)
3. Awareness of my daily income & outcome (myfitnesspal and a basic fitness tracker worked)
4. Carb counting
5. Low - GI foods
6. Persistance and patience
7. Learn not to do diet, but create a healthy way of nutrition and eating

I ve been in this weight for 2 years now, having 5 days / week with good quality food prepared by myself, one day eating out, one day eating in my super-fatty delights that I carve.
Every time I see the weight scale going up, I stop eating out & my day with my own recipes...

Visiting the gym for weights/cardio 2-3 times / week.

This is my lifestyle now, and it is quite good.

My question to you is:
What are your average sugar levels:
a. when you are trying to be 'good diabetic'
b. the other days
c. (out of curiosity) what were the levels before Lantus?

Reactions: LauraR88 and ringi

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat VERY low carb, if I eat more than 1 'proper' meal a day I am sick.

Diabetic clinic here are poop (I would use a lot more stronger words but best not).

I only use Lantus and refuse to take NovoRapid until the diabetic clinic or GP start listening to me and actually help instead of thinking that they know everything when they have no idea.

D

Deleted Account

I only use Lantus and refuse to take NovoRapid until the diabetic clinic or GP start listening to me and actually help instead of thinking that they know everything when they have no idea.
I am confused by your comment about refusing to take NovoRapid.
Do you have a problem with it?
What is your BG like?

I understand you are eating a low carb diet but many of us find our BG rises with food even when we eat no carbs - I think it has something to do with the protein - so we still need to inject some fast acting insulin.

Holly_6160

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have exactly the same worry. I am always scared with putting on weight. Especially being age 15 it always plays on my mind

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have exactly the same worry. I am always scared with putting on weight. Especially being age 15 it always plays on my mind

Holly, are you actually overweight at the moment? At 15 I'd expect you to still have quite a bit of growing to do, and you need to gain weight to stay healthy. At your age particularly, it's quite dangerous to be underweight....

Reactions: gemma_T1 and Dodo

Brendon.Dean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will help you dissect why you are gaining weight but I need you to tell me what you are eating when you start to gain weight, and not just what foods you are eating, but the carbs and calories as well. If you are not doing any daily HIIT either than you will definitely put on weight. If you don't mind me asking, what was your pre diabetes height and weight, your current weight and the weight you go up to when you start your proper eating routine which causes weight gain?

Holly_6160

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Holly, are you actually overweight at the moment? At 15 I'd expect you to still have quite a bit of growing to do, and you need to gain weight to stay healthy. At your age particularly, it's quite dangerous to be underweight....
No I'm just very self consious about weight

Holly_6160

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will help you dissect why you are gaining weight but I need you to tell me what you are eating when you start to gain weight, and not just what foods you are eating, but the carbs and calories as well. If you are not doing any daily HIIT either than you will definitely put on weight. If you don't mind me asking, what was your pre diabetes height and weight, your current weight and the weight you go up to when you start your proper eating routine which causes weight gain?
Before diagnosis I was 42 kg that was the week before I went into hospital with a sugar of 30 I don't know my height before then. My weight now is 54kg and my height is 1m 67cm ish. I am always worried about gaining weight. I usually don't eat lunch but I eat a full breakfast and dinner. I do a fuar amount of exercise as I took P.E as a GCSE

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before diagnosis I was 42 kg that was the week before I went into hospital with a sugar of 30 I don't know my height before then. My weight now is 54kg and my height is 1m 67cm ish. I am always worried about gaining weight. I usually don't eat lunch but I eat a full breakfast and dinner. I do a fuar amount of exercise as I took P.E as a GCSE
That sounds fine, on the low side for your height.

Reactions: gemma_T1

Brendon.Dean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

You should definitely not skip meals because this will mess with your insulin tolerance. What are you eating for breakfast and dinner, and is that all you are eating or are you snacking as well?

Holly_6160

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You should definitely not skip meals because this will mess with your insulin tolerance. What are you eating for breakfast and dinner, and is that all you are eating or are you snacking as well?
Breakfast is 2 eggs 2 peices of toast 50g of cornflakes. Dinner can be bolegneis, soasage and sweet potato, chicken noodle soup and many other things.i have started having salad instead of chips or rice I cook all the dinners in my house so I'm open to more food. I am snacking depending on how hungry i get.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I am confused by your comment about refusing to take NovoRapid.
Do you have a problem with it?
What is your BG like?

I understand you are eating a low carb diet but many of us find our BG rises with food even when we eat no carbs - I think it has something to do with the protein - so we still need to inject some fast acting insulin.
I'm interested @helensa why you think we need to use fast acting insulin. If carbs are low and protein is too, there's no need or so I've been led to believe.

Brendon.Dean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast is 2 eggs 2 peices of toast 50g of cornflakes. Dinner can be bolegneis, soasage and sweet potato, chicken noodle soup and many other things.i have started having salad instead of chips or rice I cook all the dinners in my house so I'm open to more food. I am snacking depending on how hungry i get.

So my advice to you would be to stick with the least processed foods when it comes to carbohydrates. Cornflakes t may be easy but certainly not processed in the body very well. The toast isn't the worst just make sure it's a low GI carb (whole wheat, whole grain etc) or you can have oatmeal and replace the eggs with egg whites if you can. For dinner I would keep it much cleaner than bolognese and sausage for the same reason as you shouldn't have the cornflakes.

The goal here for you should be, lean protein sources, clean carbohydrates, and rich essential fats such and hemp seeds and avocado to name a few. I guarantee once you replace processed foods with unprocessed you will see a decrease in the amount of insulin you will have to use which in turn means you will loose fat.

The sweet potatoes are really good, great job with that :)

Last edited:

Brendon.Dean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm interested @helensa why you think we need to use fast acting insulin. If carbs are low and protein is too, there's no need or so I've been led to believe.

If you have low to no carb and your basal insulin is set to counteract "just" your basal, then yes you still need to bolus. If you have a meal with zero carbs but you have protein, yes your body requires insulin because in lay mans terms the protein is processed in the body similar to how a carb is and will spike your blood glucose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dodo and Levy