Weight gainn.... HELP...

Holly_6160

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So my advice to you would be to stick with the least processed foods when it comes to carbohydrates. Cornflakes t may be easy but certainly not processed in the body very well. The toast isn't the worst just make sure it's a low GI carb (whole wheat, whole grain etc) or you can have oatmeal and replace the eggs with egg whites if you can. For dinner I would keep it much cleaner than bolognese and sausage for the same reason as you shouldn't have the cornflakes.

The goal here for you should be, lean protein sources, clean carbohydrates, and rich essential fats such and hemp seeds and avocado to name a few. I guarantee once you replace processed foods with unprocessed you will see a decrease in the amount of insulin you will have to use which in turn means you will loose fat.

The sweet potatoes are really good, great job with that :)
Thank you very much for your help and all the advice. I'll make sure to keep a low GI and more lean meats

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm interested @helensa why you think we need to use fast acting insulin. If carbs are low and protein is too, there's no need or so I've been led to believe.
Everyone is different, but I definitely need to bolus for low carb food. 2 boiled eggs will make me rise by 3/4mmol if I don't bolus for them.

Generally, I think people take half their I:C ratio for protein. So for 20g of protein, you'd take 1u if your I:C ratio is 1:10

Reactions: gemma_T1
D

Deleted Account

I'm interested @helensa why you think we need to use fast acting insulin. If carbs are low and protein is too, there's no need or so I've been led to believe.
That is why I asked what the OP’s BG is like.
My confusion was also around the phrase “refusing to take NovoRapid”. If the OP’s BG is ok, then, as you say, there is no need to take it but that is not the same as a refusal.

kpa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi!

I have the same problem. So I have just started on what they call the keto diet. It's a lifestyle based on eating real food and fats. It's helped to keep my bloods down and it's supposed to help you burn fat so you lose weight. I have only started but my bloods are more stable and I am on less insulin! Try to take a look on Dietdoctor.com and see what you think. Good luck! ♡

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
That is why I asked what the OP’s BG is like.
My confusion was also around the phrase “refusing to take NovoRapid”. If the OP’s BG is ok, then, as you say, there is no need to take it but that is not the same as a refusal.
Hi, sorry Helen @helens, I got the wrong idea, hugs SJB

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
If you have low to no carb and your basal insulin is set to counteract "just" your basal, then yes you still need to bolus. If you have a meal with zero carbs but you have protein, yes your body requires insulin because in lay mans terms the protein is processed in the body similar to how a carb is and will spike your blood glucose.
@Brendon.Dean This doesn't make sense to me "If you have low to no carb and your basal insulin is set to counteract "just" your basal, then yes you still need to bolus" Can you explain? Also if you bolus for protein, how do you work out the protein to carb ratio?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Everyone is different, but I definitely need to bolus for low carb food. 2 boiled eggs will make me rise by 3/4mmol if I don't bolus for them.

Generally, I think people take half their I:C ratio for protein. So for 20g of protein, you'd take 1u if your I:C ratio is 1:10
Thanks @Levy I eat virtually zero carbs and have never done bolus for protein, do you?

Brendon.Dean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Brendon.Dean This doesn't make sense to me "If you have low to no carb and your basal insulin is set to counteract "just" your basal, then yes you still need to bolus" Can you explain? Also if you bolus for protein, how do you work out the protein to carb ratio?

What I mean is, if you are on an extremely low carb intake then you will have a higher dose of basal insulin if you are not going to bolus with fast acting insulin. If you have your basal insulin set to just cover your daily expenditure of energy then you will 100% have to bolus with fast acting insulin when having carbohydrates ( the IC ratio depends on the kind of carb). As for the protein to carb ratio this I cannot tell you because it could be different for you, but general rule of thumbs for me are if I am having more than 10g of carbs I will not bolus for protein, and I will only bolus for protein if its been more than 2 hours or more after my last meal and 15g+ of protein.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I guarantee once you replace processed foods with unprocessed you will see a decrease in the amount of insulin you will have to use which in turn means you will loose fat.

I don't think @Holly_6160 should be trying to lose fat given her height, weight and age (15 and at the low end of the bmi scale). She's at an age where she should still be growing and gaining weight and it's very very easy for teenage girls on diets to get eating disorders. She's still doing things like laying down calcium to prevent osteoporosis in later life, so her dietary needs are a little different to an adult who's trying to maintain or lose weight.

Brendon.Dean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think @Holly_6160 should be trying to lose fat given her height, weight and age (15 and at the low end of the bmi scale). She's at an age where she should still be growing and gaining weight and it's very very easy for teenage girls on diets to get eating disorders. She's still doing things like laying down calcium to prevent osteoporosis in later life, so her dietary needs are a little different to an adult who's trying to maintain or lose weight.

I don't understand your point. Eating clean unprocessed and nutritious foods is in no way considered a diet, eating disorder or does it effect the body negatively. It will actually promote natural growth, achieve and maintain adequate body fat % which in turn means better blood glucose control.

Don't be confused, I'm not saying loosing fat is the goal. I am saying eating unprocessed foods dense in nutrition will cause the body to burn fat especially considering the foods being eaten now aren't very healthy so should be eaten in moderation.