1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Weight Going Up

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Ian_Laye, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Ian_Laye

Ian_Laye Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hi, I've been eating roughly the same LCHF diet for the last couple of years and maintaining good BG levels but over the last 2 - 3 months I have gained nearly 2 stone, my diet hasn't changed and at the moment my BG levels are still good. I don't understand why my weight has gone up, my exercise level has remained constant, to which Smokey my Border Collie can testify lol. Any ideas?

2. Moggely

Moggely · Guest

That is a mystery Ian, could you be eating extra maybe and not realizing it. Or maybe more fats as that is what i am doing to maintain my weight as i don't want to lose more. My dog loves the walk to in fact he demands it.:hilarious:. But your blood levels are good so maybe that's more important. I know no one wants to gain weight though.

• Like Like x 2
  3. MrsGruffy

MrsGruffy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You've been at it a lot longer than me, but I started to gain on LCHF a couple of months ago too. I have started mixing in some extended fasting, which seems to have jolted me back to losing again. I do a couple of days a week of water fasting. Sounds like your body might be desperately trying to regain it's weight set point. Are you feeling cold and tired at all?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

We have had some wacky weather just recently in the U.K.

5. Safi

Safi Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

That does seem an unusually high amount to gain with no major changes in routine @Ian_Laye ! If it were me I might visit the doctor for some blood tests. Do you feel well?

EDIT: Just another thought - have you started any new medications?

• Like Like x 1
    #5 Safi, Sep 1, 2018 at 6:26 AM
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

7. Ian_Laye

Ian_Laye Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give the water fasting a try.

8. Moggely

Moggely · Guest

Also low thyroid can make you gain weight, could you be tested for that. Over active thyroid"weight loss". Under active thyroid "weight gain".

9. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I have reversed my diabetes in the almost two years since diagnosis, and find I need to be very careful these days as I am back in the putting on weight easily state which my doctor po pooed as gluttony and sloth.
    I eat only twice a day, and suspect that I eat small amounts compared to many people - 40 gm of carbs, a dessert of berries and cream twice or maybe three times a week, but not often - it is a healthy state for me, as it means that my insulin resistance has reduced, but it means two eggs rather than three for breakfast, and dinner on a tea plate. Cooking the eggs in olive oil, adding cheese and a tomato does increase them to a meal, but I don't eat again until evening.
    I do think that it is a good sign, but it can be annoying.

• Useful Useful x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook