Weight loss....A1C stayed the same, fasting went down?

CanadianGuy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Jan 2017 my FBG was 108....then in November 2017 after my doctor made me really anxious about the possibility of diabetes he tested me again and my FBG was 115. I attribute that high # to extreme anxiety.
Interestingly my A1C was 5.0%.
I am very anxious around needles.

Went from 5'9 193ish to 165ish from tons of exercise, better eating. Got a glucose meter and the test results always in the 80s to 90s in the morning by my own testing.
Tested that morning at 93 at home but with some anxiety mixed in, tested at 102.6 at the lab.
Interestingly my A1C was 5.1.

So it went up .1 after all that weight loss.
What gives?
My A1C was never bad to begin with so maybe being overweight didn't affect my blood sugar and it's more anxiety related?
Colour me confused.

Either way, I eat much healthier now, and I have lost a ton of weight and gotten myself into much better shape.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The difference between a result of 5.0 and 5.1 suggests to me a case of no change, anxiety would not affect the result on the day. Long term stress, anxiety and depression would, however, affect A1c results as would diet of course. Remember the A1c is an average taken of the last 8-12 weeks so being anxious in the lead up to having a blood draw did not cause the 0.1 rise.

If you are looking to lower your A1c then look again at your diet but if you think your anxiety may be affecting you longer term then you would be wise to speak to your GP about this.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Your blood glucose and HbA1c results appear to be lower than the pre-diabetic and diabetic thresholds, so that is good news. Keep up the good work.

A lot of people are anxious around needles and it is a real problem for them. Sometimes it's because they have experienced pain from them, but for others it is just the sight or idea of them that triggers anxiety.

I've battled an anxiety disorder all my life that has, at times, stopped me from doing everyday things I want to do, such as driving, going into the city centre, or answering the phone. I've conquered each of those but I still refuse to do public speaking, or even to stand in front of a small group of people in a meeting. Anxiety limits my life and that is not a good thing.

If you would like some help with anxiety, often your GP can refer you for free therapy or suggest things that may help. I found reading about it in library books and later the internet was helpful.

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Your blood glucose and HbA1c results appear to be lower than the pre-diabetic and diabetic thresholds, so that is good news. Keep up the good work.

A lot of people are anxious around needles and it is a real problem for them. Sometimes it's because they have experienced pain from them, but for others it is just the sight or idea of them that triggers anxiety.

I've battled an anxiety disorder all my life that has, at times, stopped me from doing everyday things I want to do, such as driving, going into the city centre, or answering the phone. I've conquered each of those but I still refuse to do public speaking, or even to stand in front of a small group of people in a meeting. Anxiety limits my life and that is not a good thing.

If you would like some help with anxiety, often your GP can refer you for free therapy or suggest things that may help. I found reading about it in library books and later the internet was helpful.