Weight loss and pain at base of spine/bottom

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have lost 2 stones now but developed pain if I sit for any longer than 30-45 mins. It's like I have lost my fat pad and even cushions don't help with the feeling of pain like I am sitting on a hard bench.

I still have a lot of weight to lose. My bottom cheeks (sorry for the tmi) get numb, then aches, then hurts, so does my coccyx. I haven't injured myself. This only started about a month ago, when I had lost about 23lbs.

Anyone else had this? GP has no Idea..

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have exactly this @lucylocket61 - I have no idea why - it’s not in my bum cheeks as such but right on my coccyx, I find it eases after standing up/moving for about 5 minutes, I’ve had it for years and I put it down to weight loss etc, I find a cushion under one cheek on my bum so that my coccyx isn’t sitting on anything works really well, I have to have it with me in the car as I start squirming and wriggling to take the weight of my coccyx

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have exactly this @lucylocket61 - I have no idea why - it’s not in my bum cheeks as such but right on my coccyx, I find it eases after standing up/moving for about 5 minutes, I’ve had it for years and I put it down to weight loss etc, I find a cushion under one cheek on my bum so that my coccyx isn’t sitting on anything works really well, I have to have it with me in the car as I start squirming and wriggling to take the weight of my coccyx
Hugs for your pain. I think it is my coccyx, but the bum cheeks are pressing on it. Did it get worse the more weight you lost? I will experiment with a cushion on one side.

• Friendly
Reactions: lovinglife

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Luckily I haven't suffered from this yet! I do have a spinal condition. My mum lost a lot of weight and she had real trouble with her coccyx. Tried various cushions and pillows. Eventually it settled down. Lying down in between sitting helped. Falling on her bottom never helped.

Reactions: lovinglife

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have a coccyx cushion for my scooter as sitting too long on that really hurts - a small piece at the back pops out so I don't sit on the bottom of my spine. Any good mobility aid shop stocks these, or just the U shaped cushions although my best one does have a foam piece to remove as needed.

finzi1966

Oh wow I thought this was just me! I can’t sit on ANY hard chair/bench for more than a couple of minutes, and any chair at all for more than half an hour or so. And yes, that only started when I lost weight (around 25kg, but a lot of that was from my “bottom half”, I’ve still got quite a big tummy). My legs and bum are very thin. And my coccyx is exactly where I feel the pain, even though I’ve never injured it or fallen on it in my life. Its not bum cheeks.

I will experiment with using a cushion but the only problem is that it doesn’t seem very practical to take a cushion with you everywhere you go. Any good solutions? What about inflatable cushions?

sue512

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
Me too since the padding has diminished! Feels like sitting directly on bony parts of pelvis. Thank god for the increase in energy which means I’m not sitting so much. Try leaning forward when sat in hard chairs coccyx will lift off chair, on sofa I’m screwed up with legs under me anyway although not sure that position is any good for anybody’s back

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you avoid sore patches of skin or rashes? The thought of pressure sores scares me.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have lost 2 stones now but developed pain if I sit for any longer than 30-45 mins. It's like I have lost my fat pad and even cushions don't help with the feeling of pain like I am sitting on a hard bench.

I still have a lot of weight to lose. My bottom cheeks (sorry for the tmi) get numb, then aches, then hurts, so does my coccyx. I haven't injured myself. This only started about a month ago, when I had lost about 23lbs.

Anyone else had this? GP has no Idea..

Lucy, I bleat in all the time about our bodies not playing ball when we lose weight and taking time to redistribute our padding.

In the meantime, I suggest a decent cushion, or even one of those polo mint shaped ones new Mums sometimes have. I'd be pretty confident, given time, it'll sort itself out.
(By time, it could be months, and months.)

Reactions: welsh-judy1

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you avoid sore patches of skin or rashes? The thought of pressure sores scares me.
Do you actually have red patches where you are sitting. Is the bone so close to the surface?

I don't have much padding in a few areas, including my tail, but have never had the misfortune of anything like a sore.

Keep moving, even if just shuffling cheek to cheek, would be my suggestion.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you actually have red patches where you are sitting. Is the bone so close to the surface?

I don't have much padding in a few areas, including my tail, but have never had the misfortune of anything like a sore.

Keep moving, even if just shuffling cheek to cheek, would be my suggestion.
I have red patches on my bum cheeks, near the top of my spine, where the cushion presses in. I still have a lot of weight to lose. I have wrinkles on:arghh: my bum!!!!!!!!!!!

• Hug
Reactions: AloeSvea

minsterman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently had the same problem, my GP did a thorough examination of the area of my bum cheeks and found the sore patch was down to a hair follicle infection, he gave me some steroid cream and that is reducing the soreness.
Hope this is of some use,
minsterman

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Exactly the same and its murder on the spin bike or any bike to be fair. My husband has the same problem as he has lost and is losing weight off his bottom and is feeling the cold more there too!

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oh wow I thought this was just me! I can’t sit on ANY hard chair/bench for more than a couple of minutes, and any chair at all for more than half an hour or so. And yes, that only started when I lost weight (around 25kg, but a lot of that was from my “bottom half”, I’ve still got quite a big tummy). My legs and bum are very thin. And my coccyx is exactly where I feel the pain, even though I’ve never injured it or fallen on it in my life. Its not bum cheeks.

I will experiment with using a cushion but the only problem is that it doesn’t seem very practical to take a cushion with you everywhere you go. Any good solutions? What about inflatable cushions?
I have to have a cushion when I am in the car as it hurts otherwise, plus I am a short **** and can only just about see over the bonnet of my Mini!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Yes! I have a similar problem with sitting on my situpon. I solved mine with waffle cushions which are like mini lilo's. Some come with a small hand pump and can fold away into a handbag when not inflated. They are not terribly reliable, and do seem to leak gradually, but they work best when half-inflated. I fixed mine with a bicycle puncture repair kit.

I do not have a solution for the bath where I really feel the weight loss from my glutinous maximus. I suppose a waffle would work since they are plastic but forget to take one with me when I need to. I could use an old leaky one since my bathtime is usually quite short. I am sure the cat would give me disapproving looks if there are bubbles rising to the surface.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to have a cushion when I am in the car as it hurts otherwise, plus I am a short **** and can only just about see over the bonnet of my Mini!
Please be very careful. In an accident it could slide off it meaning the seatbelts wouldn’t then hold the bony parts of your body and would potentially squish soft organ containing bits / neck and head. That’s why the kiddies ones have little arms that are secured under the seatbelt or are secured to the seat some other way. I’m assuming your car doesn’t have seat height adjustment.

sue512

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
Aren’t pressure sores caused from unrelieved pressure on a spot? Move or change position should relieve it when skin a bit sore, preferably before it gets sore even

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Please be very careful. In an accident it could slide off it meaning the seatbelts wouldn’t then hold the bony parts of your body and would potentially squish soft organ containing bits / neck and head. That’s why the kiddies ones have little arms that are secured under the seatbelt or are secured to the seat some other way. I’m assuming your car doesn’t have seat height adjustment.
My seat does have height adjustment at the back and front etc but I still struggle which is why I have the small cushion