Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"Weight loss can cause your LDL cholesterol levels to go up temporarily, which can in turn cause your total cholesterol value to go up. HDL cholesterol levels tend to go down as the release of fatty acids in your blood causes an increase in LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, another type of blood lipid implicated in blood disease. The sudden influx of fatty acids into your bloodstream can temporarily cause other problems like insulin resistance, high blood sugar, and high blood pressure, too.

If you’re in the process of losing weight and your blood cholesterol levels are going up in spite of your weight loss, don’t panic. It’s completely normal for blood cholesterol levels to go up temporarily as your body burns some of the stored fat it’s carrying for fuel. You won’t be able to get accurate blood cholesterol readings until your weight has stabilized for at least four weeks, and your blood cholesterol levels have had a chance to normalize."

Quote from: http://www.canadadrugpharmacy.com/blog/why-weight-loss-can-make-your-cholesterol-levels-go-up/

The article promotes high protein diets and exercise.

Reactions: eggs11

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have problems with the whole cholesterol/sat fat/statins arena and have done for many years. I completely ignore the results of cholesterol tests because the the tests are based on sketchy data going right back to Ancel Keys. I consider the whole statin business (and it is a business said to be the highest grossing medicine ever) to be one great big scam.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"Weight loss can cause your LDL cholesterol levels to go up temporarily, which can in turn cause your total cholesterol value to go up. HDL cholesterol levels tend to go down as the release of fatty acids in your blood causes an increase in LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, another type of blood lipid implicated in blood disease. The sudden influx of fatty acids into your bloodstream can temporarily cause other problems like insulin resistance, high blood sugar, and high blood pressure, too.

If you’re in the process of losing weight and your blood cholesterol levels are going up in spite of your weight loss, don’t panic. It’s completely normal for blood cholesterol levels to go up temporarily as your body burns some of the stored fat it’s carrying for fuel. You won’t be able to get accurate blood cholesterol readings until your weight has stabilized for at least four weeks, and your blood cholesterol levels have had a chance to normalize."

Quote from: http://www.canadadrugpharmacy.com/blog/why-weight-loss-can-make-your-cholesterol-levels-go-up/

The article promotes high protein diets and exercise.
I am using a low carb medium fat diet (mistakenly called LCHF) In the early days while I was losing weight then my TC did rise temporarily, but since my weight has stabilised, my choleterol has reduced so that now my HDL has increased, my LDL has decreased, and my trigs have dropped nicely. It is true that increased lipids in the blood will cause LDL to rise, since LDL is the articulated lorries transporting the lipids to the shops. This is a natural process, and contrary to what the gp's say, is not the dangerous condition. Having high trig level is the danger pointer, since trigs represent damaged free radicals in the blood (small dense LDL or sLDL), and it is these that tend to form the blood clots in the arteries and cause other inflammation problems.

It is a tendancy that body builders and althletes use high protein diets to add muscle. but muscle is denser than body fat, so this tends to put on weight, not lose it. This type of diet suits active people who can burn off the excess, but for more sedentary people it is better (IMO) to either calorie or carb restrict for weight loss, since it is possible to overdose on the proteins, leading to potential kidney damage. The RDA for protein is around 0.8g for every kg of body weight per day.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I am using a low carb medium fat diet (mistakenly called LCHF) In the early days while I was losing weight then my TC did rise temporarily, but since my weight has stabilised, my choleterol has reduced so that now my HDL has increased, my LDL has decreased, and my trigs have dropped nicely. It is true that increased lipids in the blood will cause LDL to rise, since LDL is the articulated lorries transporting the lipids to the shops. This is a natural process, and contrary to what the gp's say, is not the dangerous condition. Having high trig level is the danger pointer, since trigs represent damaged free radicals in the blood (small dense LDL or sLDL), and it is these that tend to form the blood clots in the arteries and cause other inflammation problems.

It is a tendancy that body builders and althletes use high protein diets to add muscle. but muscle is denser than body fat, so this tends to put on weight, not lose it. This type of diet suits active people who can burn off the excess, but for more sedentary people it is better (IMO) to either calorie or carb restrict for weight loss, since it is possible to overdose on the proteins, leading to potential kidney damage. The RDA for protein is around 0.8g for every kg of body weight per day.
I'm about double my protein RDA, everyday. However I'm sure I read somewhere that protein didn't cause kidney damage unless it was already damaged.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm about double my protein RDA, everyday. However I'm sure I read somewhere that protein didn't cause kidney damage unless it was already damaged.
This might be what you saw.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1262767/

Note that the study only considered intakes up to 1,5g / kg and does not address what could still be considered excessive intake. They keep within the DRI limits, but exceed the RDA amount.

Last edited: