Weight loss surgery

Maggie75

Hi everyone,

I'm T2, have been on low carb diet for the last 8 weeks, lost approx 7 pounds in that time, DN has put me onto Metformin (1 a day upped to 2 a day from next week) and Rybelsus (1 a day, 3mgs). I've only been taking this medication for the last few days but I feel horrendous with it, sorry if TMI here but on average I'm having diarrhea 4/5 times a day, I would be scared to go out of the house in case I had an accident, and I feel sick constantly, I vaguely remember Metformin having this effect on me before when I was prescribed it.

Also prior to starting this I had basically no appetite, I was barely eating while taking the Alogliptin but now my appetite has come back and I have to stop myself from mindless snacking or eating bad foods because I feel so hungry. My weight loss has been really disappointing for the amount I have been eating, DN wasn't happy with it either and my bloods are not good despite the low carb diet, todays first test was 9.2 which is about average, they're just not coming down.

So that leads me to my question, has anyone had weight loss surgery to lose the weight quickly and help with blood sugars? It's not something I would ever have considered in the past but I just don't see a way to keep going with these medications that make me feel so ill and miserable, can't even consider upping the Metformin knowing how I feel just now with it. I know I haven't been taking them for long but I know from experience with Metformin it's unlikely to get better with that. I wouldn't qualify for surgery through the NHS as my BMI is currently 32 and I know it has to be over 35 but I would seriously consider paying privately to have a gastric band fitted if it would help me shift this weight and most importantly lower my blood sugars. I know it's drastic and it's not something I would rush into, I just wondered if anyone has had any experience with this and if it's something that has helped at all. Thanks.

Maggie

• Hug
Reactions: cdpm and Antje77

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My BFF ( best friend forever) who I have known 50+ years had barbaric surgery about 8 years ago, for weightloss. At first, within the 1st year the weight fell off, she halved from 20 St down to 10.
The theory is she can eat anything but very small portions. Think a ramekin a meal, and she has to be very careful with rich food or else she gets "dumping syndrome " think severe gastric issues of all sorts.
HOWEVER since then she has steadily increased and is now round about 14-15 st. She eats small portions but constantly, mostly carbs. 2 biscuits here, 2 chocolates there, creamy drinks, nibbles of cheese. Her meal portions have increased too.
The surgery worked in theory but it didn't help her underlying issues with comfort eating , and probably insulin resistance, and it cost £10k plus.

Imho, having seen her journey (with no end in sight), I wouldn't do it. I'm just so glad that I found going keto and moderate exercise (walking and dancing) got my weight off, and seems to be keeping it off - though I do have to work at it. It's has to be a way of life for me, not just a short term diet.

You mention drastic...imho very low calorie or keto or fasting are less drastic than expensive irreversible surgery and may still give your body the short sharp shock that people say works.

Just make sure you have a plan for maintenance

Know this is just me about 1 case but it's affected me so much to see her surgery not be effective that I couldn't not share the story

Reactions: Outlier and HSSS

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take Rybelsus 7mg/day and it has reduced my appetite, I’m losing weight and controlling my blood sugars in combination with a low carb diet. The 3mg starting dose is not an effective dose, and you probably won’t notice any effect on your appetite til after you get the higher dose which should be after 30 days. I assume that’s the plan for you and there is also the option to go up to 14mg after another month or so. I suppose what I’m saying is that I wouldn’t consider anything as drastic as surgery til you have trialled Rybelsus at all the doses.

Reactions: filly and MrsA2

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Although I don't outside of the internet, know of anybody who's had bariatric surgery, the number of those saying that it only worked short term for them is so high that I would advise against it unless weight was so high as to put life at risk.
Even a Bariatric Surgeon, Dr Robert Cywes said he tries to talk his patients out of having it. He says that for about 50% of them they are in a worse state after 2yrs after having it!

Having said that, of course it also means that around 50% make the adjustment and so presumably are content with it.

Reactions: Bea56

Maggie75

Thank you for your replies, I know this would have to be something to think very hard about before making any decisions, I'm sticking with the tablets for now, although I'm not upping the Metformin, think that would just be too much right now with the side effects I'm having.

I'm just hoping the Rybelsus when the dose is increased will start to make a difference, and I'll have a better idea when I have my next HBA1C in May. For now it seems really low carb food is the way for me, I had a very low carb dinner last night, even had some sugar free jelly with berries and double cream for dessert and my bloods 2 hours after eating were 6.6, so I just need to accept the fact my body cannot handle carbs the way it used to. Thanks again.

Maggie

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your replies, I know this would have to be something to think very hard about before making any decisions, I'm sticking with the tablets for now, although I'm not upping the Metformin, think that would just be too much right now with the side effects I'm having.

I'm just hoping the Rybelsus when the dose is increased will start to make a difference, and I'll have a better idea when I have my next HBA1C in May. For now it seems really low carb food is the way for me, I had a very low carb dinner last night, even had some sugar free jelly with berries and double cream for dessert and my bloods 2 hours after eating were 6.6, so I just need to accept the fact my body cannot handle carbs the way it used to. Thanks again.

Maggie
6.6 2 hours after seems OK to me. Maybe you're being a bit too hard on yourself?
Diabetes takes a looonnng time to develop, and won't resolve overnight

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier