weight loss?

coreservers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi.
I'm type 2 on 2 500mg metformin daily. and currently 15 stone 2 lb, which is around 2.5 stone overweight for my height.

Recently I've been on a weight loss mission, have completely cut out bread, and most high carb foods, but not all, and for the 1st 4 weeks I managed to lose 12 lb. which I was really chuffed with, however the last two weeks it's started to creep on again, last week 1lb on, this week 1/2 lb on. I'm doing exactly the same routine, food etc. and never use the lifts at work, taking 74 stairs 6-7 times daily, and walking at lease 1.5 miles at lunchtime.
Then twice a week I go to the driving range.

Why has weight started to go back on again? is it the diabetic metabolism? Totally confused now :cry:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Coreservers,

The 12lb weight loss in 4 weeks is fantastic, shame it is creeping back on again so, but don't despair there are other methods you could use as well as carb reduction.

Its taken me nearly 12 months to lose 19lb, but I take a view that weight is better lost slowly than to quick, as my wife has lost weight quickly and eventually puts it back on. I am losing around 1lb a month, which isn't fast by any means, but I am more than happy to do it this way, and hope to have lost 2 stone by the end of the year.

To kick start your weight loss again, try reducing your portion size each meal to a level that still sustains you adequately, without feeling hungry 2-3 hours after. Also cut back on the amount of fat you eat, more-so saturated fats, and try not to snack between meals, and very gently increase your exercise (although I know those steps are excellent exercise) try walking a further 1 mile on top of your 1.5 miles at lunchtime. All these little measures add up in the bigger picture, and hopefully it may be enough to start losing the pounds again.

Aim for about a 1lb every week or fortnight, by the end of the year it may result in a total loss of 1 stone.............................who knows! :)

Nigel

badmedisin

Sadly everyone loses weight fastest at the start of a diet then it slows down. It's usually recommended that you try not to lose more than 2lb a week, as the faster you lose weight, the faster you put it back on again. Also you've radically changed your diet, so you lost weight as your body gets a bit confused by novelty. Eventually your body gets used to the new duet and reduced calories and the metabolism compensates for the change. Making sure your diet is as varied as possible might help, but sadly you might have to start running up those stairs! Good luck :)

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi,

I have lost 4 stone, mostly at an average rate of 1 pound per week. I am a real sad case and keep a spreadsheet going on my computer with a graph of actual weight loss against target.

I weigh myself every friday morning and plug in the results. Mine goes in fits and starts. This week I have lost about 4 pounds, but then again i was away last week on hols and put 2 pounds on, so over the fortnight it has balanced out.

Don't lose heart you are doing great. You sound about like me. I am 5'11'' and today I was 14st, 13 pounds - so now BMI of 29 and classed as just overweight rather than the obese i have been for the past 20 years. I also had a result today where i bought a new pair of trousers with 34inch waist. At Christmas, 42 inch trousers were tight on me.

my target is another 2ston e 6 pounds to get to 12 1/2 stone .

Good luck

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
theblokefromstoke said:
I am a real sad case and keep a spreadsheet going on my computer with a graph of actual weight loss against target.

I weigh myself every friday morning and plug in the results. Mine goes in fits and starts. This week I have lost about 4 pounds, but then again i was away last week on hols and put 2 pounds on, so over the fortnight it has balanced out.

You are not a sad case at all :!: You have to get a strong grip on your health when you walk this diabetes path and need to make it your job to deal with things properly. Clearly you are doing very well and will get to your target in good time. I hope you have a 'before' picture to go with your 'after' picture and perhaps have kept a pair of 'those trousers' :?:

In my own case I am trying to build myself up and that takes a similar sort of effort. We all have very different issues to deal with but all need to take an equally strong grip in order to deal with them. This site is a great enabler not only in the provision of resources and access to information but also to mutual support and ecouragement and not least in it being a place to let off steam!

So keep on doing what you are doing!! 8) :D

badmedisin

Bloke from Stoke - the graph isn't sad, it's a really good idea and tracking progress can be a great inspiration.

Congrats on the tiny trousers!!

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi all,

Thanks for the support, I don't feel such a sad case so much with my speadsheets and graph any more.

Another result yesterday. Bought a jacket from Debanhams. Tried on the XXL as I was XXXL 6months ago, Too Big, tried the XL, then L, ended up with a Medium. I feel like the incredible shrinking man. I just hope I am not left with sagging skin on my torso and belly as the weight has come off so quick. Has anyone any advice on this subject - Creams / excercise / surgery?

Coreservers - hope you are sticking with it and its going ok. I weighed myself this morning and 1 pound up from Friday - its a roller coaster isn't it but i think its now a life long issue rather than a quick fix for holidays and stuff like it used to be before the diabetes.

All the best,

Carl

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
theblokefromstoke said:
ended up with a Medium. I feel like the incredible shrinking man.
Well done you! There is nothing like feeling great in nice clothes! :)

I just hope I am not left with sagging skin on my torso and belly as the weight has come off so quick. Has anyone any advice on this subject - Creams / excercise / surgery?
Don't really even want to think about that one! :shock: :lol: However, I am told that there are skin firming creams available and exercise should help - the fitness trainer at the gym should be able to help you with that.

......its a roller coaster isn't it but i think its now a life long issue rather than a quick fix for holidays and stuff like it used to be before the diabetes.

Absolutely, it is a different lifestyle but you are really getting a handle on it! 8)

Well done, Carl! 8)

Dippy3103

I have lost just over 3 stone since Feb 1 st. I am rubbing a product called bio oil in. Don't know if it will do any good but it did seem to help with my pregnancy stretch marks.
I too am a spreadsheet keeper.... I'm very proud of it too and find it a massive motivator.
Good luck to all my fellow dieters!!!

adm

:D

Spreadsheets are great!

I have one with my BG levels, blood pressure, weight and blood test results - complete with a lot of pretty graphs that I can use to cheer myself up by looking at the trend lines.....and they''re all going the right way so far.

I'd say though, that with any diet the weight loss is fastest at the start as it's mainly water retention, then you hit a "plateau" phase where your body tries to retain fat as emergency stores as it doesn't really know what's going on and thinks you might starve. After a month or so of that, the weight loss should resume slowly and steadily. But - as others have said, you shouldn't aim for anything more than 1Kg per week maximum.

The best thing for this though is more exercise - I wouldn't have thought the driving range would be that good for weight loss. Try swimming or cycling. Both are good low impact cardiovascular exercises that will help. Seems to me that a low impact, sustained workout for an hour or more is better than any kind of "burst" activity. Also, cut out the rest of the high carb food for at least a month - see how that helps too.

Personally, I haven't noticed any difference to my weight loss if I eat high or low fat food - but it makes more sense to try for lower saturated fats as if you are diabetic anyway, you are already at higher risk of cardiac problems.

Finally, don't worry too much about the weight itself if you are definitely getting slimmer and fitter. Muscle tissue weighs more than fat, so if it's all going the right way and you are clearly losing fat and gaining muscle, then just relax a bit.

griffy

Dislikes
Being restricted! Taking tablets!! Not understanding things.
Synonym said:
theblokefromstoke said:
This site is a great enabler not only in the provision of resources and access to information but also to mutual support and ecouragement and not least in it being a place to let off steam!

Couldn't agree more about this site. My problem has always been staying power on diets which over the years has mucked up my metabolic rate. I've only been diagnosed a week and am still wondering how I'm going to stick to being 'good' for the rest of my life (only another 40 or so years to go!). This site is inspiring and helps hugely.

Spreadsheet here I come!!

Griffy

badmedisin

Bio Oil is defo worth a try but v expensive. There's usually one called rescue oil in the pound shops which is basically the same. Or Palmers cocoa butter is also good.

If you lose the weight reasonably steadily, do plenty of exercise and use some moisturiser then your skin should shrink with you :)

I just wish they'd stop putting crack cocaine in my crisps to keep me addicted... :)

john.huston45

You lose the 12lb in 4 weeks is good, I think you change your diet that's why you lose your weight. I am also losing my weight up to 5 KG. I never do dieting and all. I do exercise and yoga in routine life. I take Fruits, juice and vegetables in my diet.

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
I've lost just over a stone in about 2months now, I weigh myself once a week and tell a couple of close friends how I did-that way i'm more disciplined about being good-also they're trying to lose weight so hopefully it's mutual support. I would not have the discipline to stick to a diet so I just eat sensible and exercise. As for muscle weighing more than fat, I believe muscle also uses more calories than fat so that will balance itself out in time if your intake stays the same.

Seaman36

Well,thanks for sharing useful information....According to my opinion,daily exercise and drinking water are the best way to reduce the weight loss...!

GrandChiva

Finally I have lost 50 pounds. It took me about 11 weeks to do it but considering I binged in LA and New Orleans and a bit over the 4th, I am pleased with my progress. I have 50 more to go, but without binges I hope to do it in 8 weeks with my modified rotation diet and 90 minutes to 120 minutes of exercise per day.

Plan your meals so you eat often but in small quantities. Fasting is extremely dangerous for a diabetic, especially if done frequently. Skipping meals is also bad for your waistline: when you avoid food for more than 3 hours, your blood sugar drops and your body actually holds on to fat as a defense mechanism.

sallyjoseph

For weight loss it is best to do regular exercise, yoga and eat healthy food like fruits and vegetables and avoid oily and spicy food also drink more water in a day thats all help you for weight loss.

Korgrocker

I was diagnosed Type 2 in May 2012 and am controlling my diabetes with diet. I am capping my carb intake at 175-200 gms per day and have avoided pasta, rice and pizza, as well as being careful with bread and potatoes. Strict no-no to cakes and sweets. My weight has reduced steadily by about 1kilo per month since then and I am now just less than 68 kilos, BMI 20.3. I think(hope?) my weight has now bottomed out and my last HbA1C was 5.8. I exercise by walking the dog three times a day and with occasional 20 mile bike rides. There is a great iPad/iPhone App that I use - "Diabetes App". Needs a bit of discipline but worth it in the end. I have to remember though that I don't have the energy reserves I used to have so if doing anything strenuous I have to plan a sugar rush. :D