Weight Loss

Helen40

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are the best ways to lose weight as a Type 1 Diabetic?
Hello, personally I find carb counting works for me, I try to eat no more than 50g carbs a day and ratio my insulin to that. I avoid 'bad' fats and fill up on healthier ones such as avocado's. I avoid processed ready meals, no bread pasta/rice or potatoes - cauliflower is a good substitute for rice,if i have a drink i stick to very dry wine or vodka/JD th8s combined with about an hours exercise most days has meant I've half a stone (just over 3 kg) slowly over a month.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Sports or a low-carb diet. But remember that insulin is a medicine that makes you fat, so it will be harder than without diabetes. Although insulin is also a good dope for sports

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, have you tried intermittent fasting? Lots of folks find it helps, if you don’t eat, you don’t inject Bolus, allowing your insulin to drop and releasing your stored energy (fat stores). I am currently doing this and after a couple of weeks it becomes super easy, or at least it did for me. (I also love keto but may need an intervention on that, must not mention keto… must not mention keto…)

• Informative
Reactions: filly

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Sports or a low-carb diet. But remember that insulin is a medicine that makes you fat, so it will be harder than without diabetes. Although insulin is also a good dope for sports
I would argue that insulin helps you process carbs which can make some people but not others gain weight, depending on their metabolism, activity and diet. Just like non diabetics, some insulin dependent T1s have trouble with weight gain but others don't.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have utilized intermittent fasting in my weight loss journey. However, I often still need to bolus, because my BG will spike for any or no reason. Even with no food. It’s frustrating. My cgm and pump in auto mode help.

Jenny 105

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With one insulin on waking I seem to peek after breakfast 10-14
Cranberry juice 100ml with water (1.2g sugar content) OR 1/2 orange. Egg dish or fish . 1 or 2 luv life seeded bread with benecol spread, sometimes with pnut butter (whole earth only)

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What are the best ways to lose weight as a Type 1 Diabetic?
The same as you would without diabetes.
A healthy diet for someone with Type 1 is the same as a healthy diet for someone without diabetes.

I have utilized intermittent fasting in my weight loss journey. However, I often still need to bolus, because my BG will spike for any or no reason. Even with no food.
Yep, when not eating, our body thinks we are in starvation mode so our liver will release glucose.
To stop this, I find eating a small amount will stop the glucose dump.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
But remember that insulin is a medicine that makes you fat
My understanding is that excess insulin will make you gain weight.

I am the same healthy weight as I was when I was diagnosed 20 years ago and consider the message that insulin causes weight gain to be a dangerous message for those with Type 1.
Please remember the most common age for Type 1 diagnosis is the same age as those most body conscious. Telling a young woman, for example, that they have just been diagnosed with a chronic condition that has only one treatment, insulin that will make them fat is not only false but dangerous.
Diabulima is a real condition which we must be aware of with any message we write,

Please stop telling people that insulin will make you fat.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
With one insulin on waking I seem to peek after breakfast 10-14
Cranberry juice 100ml with water (1.2g sugar content) OR 1/2 orange. Egg dish or fish . 1 or 2 luv life seeded bread with benecol spread, sometimes with pnut butter (whole earth only)
Hi @Jenny 105 , you've posted on a thread about weightloss posted by a type 1.
Did you mean to post somewhere else on the forum?

I'm sure the moderators will be happy to move your post is you like, just ask here.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
My understanding is that excess insulin will make you gain weight.

I am the same healthy weight as I was when I was diagnosed 20 years ago and consider the message that insulin causes weight gain to be a dangerous message for those with Type 1.
Please remember the most common age for Type 1 diagnosis is the same age as those most body conscious. Telling a young woman, for example, that they have just been diagnosed with a chronic condition that has only one treatment, insulin that will make them fat is not only false but dangerous.
Diabulima is a real condition which we must be aware of with any message we write,

Please stop telling people that insulin will make you fat.

telling people not to take insulin because it will lead to weight gain is like telling a person with pneumonia not to take antibiotics because it will cause diarrhea. But lying about the fact that insulin does not affect weight is somehow strange, especially since a person sees it anyway. Usually diabetes is diagnosed with a lack of weight (if you had a normal weight when you were diagnosed, you were really lucky) and the fact that the weight is coming back to normal is great.
I will attach a link to the research

Reactions: Prancy

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Perhaps it’s just coincidence, but most of the people that I have known with Type 1 over my lifetime have been thin…or barely average in size. That includes me, but I eventually gained weight too and work to remedy it. Most of mine was not due to insulin, but diet. I do need a tight diet to lose weight.

I’m now down 70 pounds.

Reactions: filly

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also weight loss can vary from day to day. Yesterday my total intake was a 3-egg omelette and a green salad with 1 spoon of olive oil. I drank slightly less than normal, so 1 black tea, 3 black coffees and one glass of water. This morning I'd "gained" 2 pounds.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also weight loss can vary from day to day. Yesterday my total intake was a 3-egg omelette and a green salad with 1 spoon of olive oil. I drank slightly less than normal, so 1 black tea, 3 black coffees and one glass of water. This morning I'd "gained" 2 pounds.
That’s so frustrating….been there and I hate it. I just keep trying different things to keep it going. Eventually, it has come off for me. I’m at another plateau right now.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today and yesterday I am down one of those pounds. Keep on truckin'!

Reactions: Prancy

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
May not be very popular with some people but 8 months ago I gave up alcohol and as a bonus I have lost 8 pounds without trying .

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
May not be very popular with some people but 8 months ago I gave up alcohol and as a bonus I have lost 8 pounds without trying .
I have drastically cut down on alcohol. I go weeks without any now, and when I do have some, it’s one glass of wine on Friday night and one glass on Saturday. I have to eat when I drink it, and that’s extra calories.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Now down 75 pounds. I now actually have to take a second look when I pass a mirror. I get a lot of comments too. Still, I’m not done yet.

• Winner
Reactions: Outlier