Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
DavidGrahamJones said:
With the help of my nutritional therapist I have discovered a lot and as soon as she's finished her 900 miles in 9 days bike ride (Lands End to John o'Groats - 874 miles actually LOL), we'll be moving forward on some food allergy testing. There's no visible indication of food allergies, so it will be interesting.

I'm not going to pretend to understand the intricacies of the detail but I do understand things at a high level, a very high level. Way back when I first saw her and went LC?F some tests had shown that ATP (chemical energy for muscles) wasn't going to the muscles which explained a lot, like muscle pain since taking statins? Also constant fatigue, so easily just put down to the diabetes? Who knows but I wouldn't be the first person who has experienced ongoing muscle pain after stopping statins.

As I say, I don't fully understand, it makes my brain hurt, literally. I'll get there eventually. 12 1/2 stone here I come! LOL At least I know eating food isn't the problem, it's what happens afterwards, in the body.
I cannot remember which video I watched on here posted by either @bulkbiker or @Indy51 or @CherryAA but it put big emphasis on correct pathways for the body to work correctly. It may have been recent one about thyroid disease. Cannot be sure but it made huge sense to me. I believe supplement r-ala helps put the body back on the right path. Years ago I used Ginseng. It brought my periods back, until my body got used to even strong, purer ginseng (siberian) and it stop working due to tolerance. ( I see a purer form out now which promises no tolerance or build up problems.)
R-ala has helped me with pathways. I stopped it but need to restart it again after gp tests on neuropathy. Numb toes have returned. Wobbly legs very very disruptive in balance. GP is going to help me determine whether back problem still or nerve damage from sugar excesses in yrs of burn out.
When I take r-ala I had in the past needed less insulin (approx. A third, less.) So I have to take that into consideration. Currently very preoccupied with new school and unsettled 4yr old to even attempt messing around with my settled injection needs, at mo.
I must go back on r-ala soon to banish my numb side of foot and toes, at least.
I found r-ala supplement made no immediate improvement to aiding weight loss but something has (or seems to have) clicked into place. Tsh result has improved. Diet improvement? Just less carbs, nothing else.
Carbs must be our toxin so r-ala removes some of that toxin?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Interesting. I have lost 20% of my excess weight so far.
Me too. :)

Ive just double checked. I need to be 114kgs but still 121kgs. A little bit more to go. A stone more to lose.
I believe 20% is what bariatric surgery promises. It rings a bell.
My BMI is 44. Which didnt get a mention in the article. Maybe not included in research as so much on 35+bmi already with bariatric research.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
google for leptin. It controls your metabolism.
More to do with hunger thou, not body readjusting itself from empty fat cells.
Maybe body just needs time to readjust before more weight loss empties more cells.
Emptying cells which are needed so body puts a stop to it?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have heard people say that when their weight stalls they go off Keto for 2 days and eat some carbs, then go back onto Keto..They find it kick starts the weight loss off again. Got this from people on YouTube who have been doing Keto for quite a while....I also should have added that I am not sure whether some of these people are diabetic or not, or just on a weight loss journey. There are many on YouTube though who follow the keto diet including diabetics. I learn more from here though.
I definitely agree.
I am doing something similiar. I relax my diet to re-evaluate. Especially in times of excess fluid increasing my weight.

S

serenity648

As a matter of intereat have you lost much since xmas ? and is your current BMI somewhere between 28% and 32% ?
I dont understand the question, I'm afraid. 28% of what? I have lost nearly a stone since christmas. Not sure how. I still have 9 stones to lose, at least, according to DN although i have a broad, stocky build and looked dreadful when I was the 9 stone recommended for my height, several years ago.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
dont understand the question, I'm afraid. 28% of what? I have lost nearly a stone since christmas. Not sure how. I still have 9 stones to lose, at least, according to DN although i have a broad, stocky build and looked dreadful when I was the 9 stone recommended for my height, several years ago.

ah ok,

I have a theory that for some people who have already lost a lot of weight, their weight stalls when their BMI reaches around 28-32 Kg/m2 and their metabolic markers are all healthy. I am currently about 14stones 31 Kg/m2 BMI and my metabolic markers are all healthy - there seem to be a few other people in similar position.
I started off at 19 stones initially and also thought I had 9-10 stones to lose. As such it seemed impossibly far away. Having got half way there, I have realised that actually the original goal was way too low anyway and whilst I would still like to lose more, I don't need to aim for 25kg/m2 or less BMI for optimal health. So my new target is now further 2 stones/ 10 kilos ish to get to 79kg - not 25KG to get to 64kg .

Good luck in getting your own weight down further :)

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Interesting theory.. it might explain why I'm struggling to lose on ND - my BMI is currently 31.9

Two years ago, after discontinuing use of insulin and starting VLC, I lost 5st - then had an accident at work (which has made me pretty much housebound) and I gained back 2st while still on a ketogenic diet. I am currently 'doing' the Newcastle Diet to try to get rid of that 2st that came and found me again but, while the diet is okay, the weightloss isn't going quite as expected - the first stone came off relatively easily but this second stone is definitely proving to be far more stubborn. I'm not too fussed about getting down to - say - 10st, but I would like to get back to being under my Personal Fat Threshold again.

Reactions: ickihun

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting theory.. it might explain why I'm struggling to lose on ND - my BMI is currently 31.9

Two years ago, after discontinuing use of insulin and starting VLC, I lost 5st - then had an accident at work (which has made me pretty much housebound) and I gained back 2st while still on a ketogenic diet. I am currently 'doing' the Newcastle Diet to try to get rid of that 2st that came and found me again but, while the diet is okay, the weightloss isn't going quite as expected - the first stone came off relatively easily but this second stone is definitely proving to be far more stubborn. I'm not too fussed about getting down to - say - 10st, but I would like to get back to being under my Personal Fat Threshold again.

I've seen a few comments from a few people here that suggest they might be in a similar range - hence me trying to find out how prevalent it is. It is one of the things I have asked the Tim Noakes study people to look into. I was part of that study and it shows that many of the people on the LCHF diet would now be characterised as " non diabetic" and also have a BMI of somewhere between 27 and 32kg/m2 after different periods on the diet.

All cause mortality is 90% of the rate of those of "normal" weight between 25-30 kg/m2 BMI and is still only 98% of normal weight right upto 35 kg/m2 BMI . Thus currently you are likely to live longer if you are quite fat compared to being slim. Yet "normal" is defined as being slim - and actually having no " discernible fat" . That message sounds suspiciously like the same old mantra about not eating fats to me. Society vilified not only eating fat, but having any fat on your body.

My theory would be as follows :

a) People eat processed foods - they get metabolically damaged - EVERYONE - thin, slim, fat, very fat. It presents itself in many ways - sure diabetes, but all manner of other things too, sometimes many of them in the same person.

b) In times of human plenty, the human body settles at a level it is comfortable to operate at - for EVERYONE - and that might be quite a wide range say 20-30 kg/m2 BMI

c) society adopted a "Low fat" mantra - food AND bodies

d) people who did not fall into the lower end of the range - get concerned that they need to lose weight - so they start to diet - and by doing so they do even more of a) than everyone else . - we give up butter, we drink skimmed milk, we avoid full fat anything - we get ever more metabolically deranged and we put on more and more weight because our insulin levels increase and that increases fat storage.

e) people who do fall into the lower end of the range don't have to diet, so they don't get sucked into the low fat mantra, - how many people do you know who are naturally slim - and love their butter ? - for me its a LOT. Thus any of those people remain more metabolically healthy because they happily tucked into all the stuff we fatties tried to avoid and as such the proportion of processed foods in their diet is lower than it is in a fatter person's diet simply because they are already fuller of the good stuff and thus stay metabolically healthier on average.

So at that point we have a society where its quite likely that your size is quite closely correlated not just to your own healthy normal , but also to your intake of processed foods - which could be rubbish junk foods or equally could be " healthy " low fat foods.- eaten in an attempt to get to a society normal which has no actual basis in research or all cause mortality

Indeed man's ability to survive historically was connected to its ability to cope during a fast - hence the prevalence of " fat is good" in some societies.

There are very many ranges that are currently promoted as being " normal" that are based on some kind of historical " fact" which may or may not be true .

I know that I am currently mentally and physically more " robust" than many of my slim peer group.

I am conscious that much of our historical data came from studies done many years ago, when actually "thinness " was more prevalent . However, whilst those people did not suffer from some of the diseases of "plenty" that we currently have, they did not necessarily live that long either - perhaps that is just the impact of modern drugs, but.....

The data that we really do not see is - what would an Optimal weight be of a healthy, person eating real foods to satiety in the modern age in conditions of plenty.

That is because there are very few of them about - in many ways those who have overcome the diabetes diagnosis through diet only and have lost significant weight as a result whilst normalising their metabolic makers and lipid profiles may actually be the closest society will get to that in any number and lots of us seem to " stall" at weight above " normal 25 kg/m2 BMI"

My personal view is that it is quite likely that the "healthy range" is actually a lot broader than the current 20-25 kg/m2 - its probably closer to 20-30kg/m2 BMI . But healthy itself within ALL of that range - is only in relation to those who avoid eating sugar and processed foods and therefore avoid the metabolic stress that comes with that - whatever type of disease it manifests as.

Last edited:

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
ah ok,

I have a theory that for some people who have already lost a lot of weight, their weight stalls when their BMI reaches around 28-32% and their metabolic markers are all healthy. I am currently about 14stones 31% BMI and my metabolic markers are all healthy - there seem to be a few other people in similar position.
I started off at 19 stones initially and also thought I had 9-10 stones to lose. As such it seemed impossibly far away. Having got half way there, I have realised that actually the original goal was way too low anyway and whilst I would still like to lose more, I don't need to aim for 25% or less BMI for optimal health. So my new target is now further 2 stones/ 10 kilos ish to get to 79kg - not 25KG to get to 64kg .

Good luck in getting your own weight down further :)
I can remember when I was just under 9 stone. I am only 5ft 3 inches tall. The doctor told me that I looked underweight and asked me to get onto the scales and I weighed 8 stone.11 pounds which was not underweight at all for my height. The doc was surprised but said that even though I was the correct weight I looked to thin. The doctor was not the only one to comment on my weight back then. The family said that I looked too thin. The medical profession states what weight we are supposed to be around for our height but it taught me that some people look ok being the same height as me at just under 9 stone, but for me a stone heavier made me look more healthy. I put to much weight on over the years not chronically obese but deffo overweight, now I have lost weight through this low carb eating but I have no set goal weight that I am aiming for. I will go by my appearance and on how I feel then I will know that I am at the weight I am happy with. I am feeling a lot more healthy and alert on this low carb eating than I have for years.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I definitely agree.
I am doing something similiar. I relax my diet to re-evaluate. Especially in times of excess fluid increasing my weight.
Yes, it seem's to work for a lot of people.

Bonnylad

I keep hearing examples of people encountering a weight stall. They have often successfully lost a lot of weight, then suddenly that stops. This has happened to me.

Following on from other research I am thinking that actually this might actually be because those individuals achieved a healthy weight for them and as such many of their biomedical markers are now just fine and being in " robust" health just slightly larger than others is not bad thing i.e. they have now hit the point where there personal risk in respect of all cause mortality has reached an " optimal level"

Looking at the research that may well be well in excess of 25% BMI.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3953803/table/tbl2/

In that context, I would love to know if there are many people on here who found that they lost weight rapidly on LCHF/VLC or fasting then stalled at a point which was somewhere between say 27- 32% BMI?
Yep that applies to me, lost 2 stone over 3 months down to 12 stone but can’t seem to get past 12.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@CherryAA I have a filmed contribution
This movie is "Bitter rice" and it's an unintentional period piece. The main protagonists are actors, but the extra were locals taken in the rice fields. As you can imagine the diet there was based heavily on rice, high starch high GI food. But in part due to the fact that in the '50 the physical activity was way higher than nowadays.
Silvana Mangano and Doris Dowling if judged with today's fashion eyes are considered "fat" but They were considered sex bomb at the time and I suppose that also were considered fit

There is also the fact that people working in farms and factories and population in genera had a lower life expectancy, so before condition like diabetes and CVD were less prevalent rather, say, got crushed by a tractor or getting polio or dying while giving birth.
If returning to the movie you look at the skinny Raf Vallone and compare it with how was when made the Godfather III you can see clearly that got some kilos, because of reduced activity and becoming older.

In this 1960 ad when the doctors measures the actress, the voiceover says "Doctor, what are you doing? Non make her lose weight!"

Being less and less active and change in dietary behaviour increase the calorie intake is the culprit in my opinion.
If you eat cornmeal porridge all the week, and on Sunday only you eat it wit hare then everyday you're on the cornfield, I bet you'll remain skinny and fit.

(Interesting fact: the first actor, Gino Bramieri underwent bariatric surgery and was one of the first cases in Italy)

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You only need look at photos of the 1950s and 60s "sex bombs" Marilyn Monroe was no skinny stick, and nor were any of her contemporaries. It wasn't until Twiggy hit the headlines that models went on starvation diets.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@CherryAA I have a filmed contribution
This movie is "Bitter rice" and it's an unintentional period piece. The main protagonists are actors, but the extra were locals taken in the rice fields. As you can imagine the diet there was based heavily on rice, high starch high GI food. But in part due to the fact that in the '50 the physical activity was way higher than nowadays.
Silvana Mangano and Doris Dowling if judged with today's fashion eyes are considered "fat" but They were considered sex bomb at the time and I suppose that also were considered fit

There is also the fact that people working in farms and factories and population in genera had a lower life expectancy, so before condition like diabetes and CVD were less prevalent rather, say, got crushed by a tractor or getting polio or dying while giving birth.
If returning to the movie you look at the skinny Raf Vallone and compare it with how was when made the Godfather III you can see clearly that got some kilos, because of reduced activity and becoming older.

In this 1960 ad when the doctors measures the actress, the voiceover says "Doctor, what are you doing? Non make her lose weight!"

Being less and less active and change in dietary behaviour increase the calorie intake is the culprit in my opinion.
If you eat cornmeal porridge all the week, and on Sunday only you eat it wit hare then everyday you're on the cornfield, I bet you'll remain skinny and fit.

(Interesting fact: the first actor, Gino Bramieri underwent bariatric surgery and was one of the first cases in Italy)

Its interesting that nearly all of those young omen look "robust" compared to an average group of 20' somethings out on the town today - today any of those groups will usually include a mix of very skinny or outright fat. There are very few " robust" looking ones.

I'm not for a second suggesting that people should stop worrying about getting healthier or getting more exercise and as part of that becoming optimal weight for each of us is important .- just that maybe today's societal norms are as distorted about this as they have been about much else. Ultimately what really counts is getting to good metabolic markers and good sugar control . Fortunately that is the result of following the dietary advice here, so win win!

I will continue to trying to get rid of my extra 2 stones, but frankly from a desirability point of view, I'm happy to go head to head with Marilyn ( it does help that she's dead ) .....

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
you probably don't need to get to below 25%

I was confused at an index being a percentage. I have googled and it seems that people use BMI and Body Fat Percentage interchangeably. Certainly had me confused.

BMI = (Your weight in pounds x 703) ÷ (Your height in inches x Your height in inches) so is just a number.

Body Fat Percentage = Fat Mass ÷ Body weight which gives you a number but is expressed as a percentage, eg if your total weight is 120 lbs with 30 lbs being fat that's 1/4 or 25%.

So is 25% the Body Fat Percentage? or should is just be 25, the BMI?

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I was confused at an index being a percentage. I have googled and it seems that people use BMI and Body Fat Percentage interchangeably. Certainly had me confused.

BMI = (Your weight in pounds x 703) ÷ (Your height in inches x Your height in inches) so is just a number.

Body Fat Percentage = Fat Mass ÷ Body weight which gives you a number but is expressed as a percentage, eg if your total weight is 120 lbs with 30 lbs being fat that's 1/4 or 25%.

So is 25% the Body Fat Percentage? or should is just be 25, the BMI?

I just use this website for BMU

http://www.smartbmicalculator.com/result.html?unit=0&hc=167&wk=89&us=1&ua=59&gk=79&di=3&dt=1

you are right I should be calling ig Kg per m2 - not sure why I ever got into the habit of calling it % I've corrected above

http://www.smartbmicalculator.com

so the numbers i am interested in are BMI 27-32 kg per M2

sorry for the confusion (I'm not a scientist :)

Last edited: