1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Weight training and LCHF?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by charlie000, Apr 11, 2019.

1. charlie000

charlie000 · Well-Known Member

Hi all

I've been doing LCHF for about a month and the results are phenomenal in terms of my glucose levels, how I feel (clear mind etc), as well as the scales.

I'd like to improve my fitness so I am considering weight / strength training.

What do you guys think of this?

I am doing interval training in the park (Couch to 5K) but in the gym I do weights.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Caeseji

Caeseji Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I can say that I have been doing VERY well in my blood sugars and general fitness with keto/LCHF and strength training. With diet down you'll get a lot more benefits to your health adding this to your repertoire. @Mbaker is the go to about this honestly, he gave me some indispensable advice. Wishing you the best of luck as well!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Lots of low carbers/keto eaters do weights.. most do it fasted. I'm afraid thats about the sum total of my knowledge because I'm a lazy git..
    I did join a gym in a fit of energy after losing a lot of weight but the novelty lasted about 3 months and I gave myself a hernia on the leg press by being over enthusiastic...needless to say it took over 18 months to cancel the membership so maybe try a monthly rollover rather than annual membership for the first few months if you are thinking of joining a gym.

• Like Like x 1
    #3 bulkbiker, Apr 11, 2019 at 5:38 PM
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  4. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

a really great idea...:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Kind words, just sign posting what the really smart ladies and gentlemen like Gabrielle Lyons, Ted Naimen, Shawn Baker, Zak Bitter et al freely give up. It makes so much sense, increase muscle surface area, suck in more glucose. Personally I have upped my resistance training, and when I do an fbg the next day, I am at worst on a 4.2, and if I went all out 3.8. It is extremely satisfying to know you are getting results.

• Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook