Weight training

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey everyone need some help im new here iv had diabetes for about 10 years and switched to novorapid and levemir and want to start weight training only problems is is it ok to increase my carb intake as im currently having 180grams of carbs per a day and i want to increase this as im planning to put on some muscle mass and bulk up a bit will it be ok and safe??

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
static192 said:
hey everyone need some help im new here iv had diabetes for about 10 years and switched to novorapid and levemir and want to start weight training only problems is is it ok to increase my carb intake as im currently having 180grams of carbs per a day and i want to increase this as im planning to put on some muscle mass and bulk up a bit will it be ok and safe??

Why do you think that eating more carbohydrate will increase your muscle mass?

It would take some pretty intense weight training to burn through more than 180g of carbs a day.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
static192 said:

Take a look at the following that offers some excellent advice for type 1's who are sport-minded:

http://www.runsweet.com/

TimC

If you are looking to increase muscle mass then it's generally protein intake (alongside weight training) that needs to increase - carbs are essentially fuel that are burned for energy. Muscle mass is made from protein (and water of course) and the general rule of thumb is that you need 1g of protein per day for every lb of lean body mass - that roughly equates to 2g per kg of body mass.

I'm not an expert, just a layman but I have done a fair bit of reading and this is the conventional wisdom.

walterrichmand

A balanced exercise program will provide proper joint alignment, muscle balance and greater efficiency of movement, while protecting you against joint strain that can turn into serious long term problems. Developing your upper body will keep you from having rounded shoulders by pulling your shoulders back into a more natural posture.