Tablets (oral)
Afternoon to all. Are weight watchers any good for people with ore diabetes

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If you need a group setting to keep you motivated then it might help. There are people around who have used them. Froma personal perspctive I would not use them because I have tried those types of diets before and failed everytime.

The key to losing weight for me has been to eat nutrient dense low carb foods that will bring down the levels of circulating insulin in your body ( they are what makes you very hungry) and at the same time improve your glucose control.
Once you switch from carbs, you should find you start to feel less hungry and can then eat much less than you expect . It is MUCH easier to diet this way .
check out the low carb program here, or at dietdoctor.com

good luck

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As long as you are able to keep your blood glucose under control whilst following the instructions - the problem is that the diet they advise for losing weight and what is needed to control blood glucose are not the same thing.
The diabetes education team I went to were bewildered because my control was excellent, but my weight was not reduced.

Reactions: SOPHIE2006

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There may be some answers in the recent thread titled "Disgusting" where WW is discussed. Generally WW diet seems to have high sugar content.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I couldn’t do weight watchers. Not enough fat and too many carbs.
I will say my meals (4-5) per day are weight watcher SIZED meals but all home cooked

Reactions: Jenniewren1958

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If weight Watchers or Slimming World worked then that would be great but they pretty much know that the calories in calories out method of weight loss doesn't work long term and the majority of 'customers' will fail, blame themselves then return. It is a for profit business, they want users to return, success would eat into their profits. This is just my opinion, some people have amazing success with weight loss but blood glucose control is more important than weight and weight loss alone will not necessarily aid you in your endeavour to improve your health.

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been doing WeightWatchers online since April - I've lost over 7stones in weight.

It's very flexible - low carb fits very well (not high fat though - so if you want to go the double cream in everything route then it's not for you.) support has been excellent. It's worked very well for me - and I know plenty of other people who have had great success too.

Reactions: Jenniewren1958

googlegoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight Watchers have just launched a new version of their diet. Fat is still high in points. Lean proteins like skinless chicken and turkey breast are now zero points, as are eggs, fat free nature yogurt, fish (not battered or in breadcrumbs) and some beans also in their natural state are also zero points. Carbs are quite high in points so this new diet could quite easily be used if you are diabetic and want to reduce your carb intake. Chocolate etc is very high in points as well.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Weight Watchers have just launched a new version of their diet. Fat is still high in points. Lean proteins like skinless chicken and turkey breast are now zero points, as are eggs, fat free nature yogurt, fish (not battered or in breadcrumbs) and some beans also in their natural state are also zero points. Carbs are quite high in points so this new diet could quite easily be used if you are diabetic and want to reduce your carb intake. Chocolate etc is very high in points as well.
The Montezuma 100 percent is very low in carbs - not to everyone's taste though - but there are other low carb chocolates out there. It is just a matter of looking for them.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I won't go near their products. 19 grams of sugar in one meal,21 grams of sugar in their chocolate brownie desert not to mention the ingredients. Their fruit yogurt is high in sugar also...

Reactions: Crystalwand

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that Slimming World is more popular with diabetics as it is not so much a diet but a way of eating for life that is easy to adapt to suit them if they want to eat less carbs. I think people really like to go to a group and have a face to face chat with others doing the same thing as them it gives them more motivation to loose weight.

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
I wasted over 40 years with weight watchers losing stones and stones but always the same ones. The weight always came back and it was only when I discovered Michael Mosely's Fast 5-2 Diet 5 years ago when diagnosed with hypertension, that the weight fell away and has not returned. He now has the 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet out in book form, directly aimed at diabetics.
Weight watchers is high carb,low fat which is just not good for diabetics.