ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Not always I asked when I was diagnosed as lada and was told the evidence isn’t clear and there are 2 different thoughts, the one of preserve it as long as possible and the other to get as much out while you can. It just depends which one the consultant thinks is right.
They need to follow NICE guidelines. If they were clear on your diagnosis, then the treatment for LADA is insulin. If they were uncertain you were LADA then they would consider alternative treatments.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Gosh, metformin usually helps people lose weight, so I don't think it's helping your wanting to gain muscle. I know they sometimes give metformin to type 1's to help stabilize blood sugars more or to help type 1's lose weight.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It sounds as if you lost the weight because your initially uncontrolled diabetes resulted in loss of muscle mass.

Now that your glucose levels are back in control the loss of weight has stopped

One way to put the weight back on would be to consume more calories. If the source of the extra calories are carb rich food though this will cause your glucose levels to rise, which sounds like a catch 22. So you need extra calories from fat and protein rich food. Since your goal is to increase muscle mass then you need to increase protein intake but do so under advice as too much protein may harm the kidneys.

Also just consuming extra calories will increase your weight but the extra weight may not be extra muscle but extra body fat which I assume is not your goal.

To ensure that you regain muscle rather than fat you need to include exercise as well, so probably joining a gym and doing some weight training may be a good idea.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
No I’m not very tall, I’m 5ft 10, my bmi at the mo is 23, I need to put the weight on to convert to muscle mass as that’s what I lost, I haven’t lost weight so to speak but literally a stone and half of muscle, as that’s the first thing that was attacked (well so the consultant said)I’m not comfortable at the weight I’m currently at either, I’ve had to re order all new work clothes and I don’t really want to be buying a whole new wardrobe of clothes (it’s too expensive) ha

Hi, is there a reason why you are not comfortable with your weight, as you can still try to build up muscle again and to me, your weight, isn't bad.
On the clothes side, clothes don't have to be expensive, as many charity shops have fantastic items of clothing and some are brand new, much cheaper too and helping the charity as well, buying clothes in sales is a great way too.

Carl williams66

It sounds as if you lost the weight because your initially uncontrolled diabetes resulted in loss of muscle mass.

Now that your glucose levels are back in control the loss of weight has stopped

One way to put the weight back on would be to consume more calories. If the source of the extra calories are carb rich food though this will cause your glucose levels to rise, which sounds like a catch 22. So you need extra calories from fat and protein rich food. Since your goal is to increase muscle mass then you need to increase protein intake but do so under advice as too much protein may harm the kidneys.

Also just consuming extra calories will increase your weight but the extra weight may not be extra muscle but extra body fat which I assume is not your goal.

To ensure that you regain muscle rather than fat you need to include exercise as well, so probably joining a gym and doing some weight training may be a good idea.

Before I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 months ago I had been at the gym for the past 19 years or so so I know what’s needed to be done about protein intake fats, bcca’s etc, Like I said earlier it’s a bit of catch 22 with high bloods feeding off any muscle gains that could possibly be made!! Which a week is probably about half a pound, which doesn’t sound a lot, but without proper medication for myself at the moment it’s **** near impossible!
Thanks for your help

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
You can build muscle a lot easier on insulin. Insulin helps supply the fuel we need by the proper usage of the glucose in our system. Maybe get more insistent with the doctor about wanting to start some insulin? Most of us type 1's thrive once we've been given insulin. But with that said, with insulin, it brings it's own learning curve, but you will have to learn it at some point anyway.

Carl williams66

You can build muscle a lot easier on insulin. Insulin helps supply the fuel we need by the proper usage of the glucose in our system. Maybe get more insistent with the doctor about wanting to start some insulin? Most of us type 1's thrive once we've been given insulin. But with that said, with insulin, it brings it's own learning curve, but you will have to learn it at some point anyway.

They’re not going to give me insulin while my body is still producing some, unfortunately that’s the way it is at the moment.... But I’ve an idea that could work.
Thanks for the info, appreciate it