Weight..

Kerry-Michelle

Hi guys.. How is everyone??

I was just wondering if there is any of you who have had trouble with weight gain since being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes? I was diagnosed on the 30th of April 2012... And since may this year I have put alot of weight on.. I'm on a controlled carb diet.. I exercise everyday, I also work with children which in itself is exercise after running around with them all day.. I don't indulge and I eat little and often.. But I don't seem to get anywhere with losig weight.. Doctors are saying it's my insulin causing weight gain.. To be honest I don't know anymore.. I would be grateful of anybody can help or share tips with me..

Many thanks :)

Kerry xx

Elc1112

Hi Kerry,

It's not unusual for newly diagnosed diabetics to put weight on. Your body has been starved of insulin for so long and your sugars levels are now coming back under control. Annoying, but it happens to many people.

I've been type 1 for 22 years now and I do struggle to
Lose weight while on insulin. The most effective way is to limit my carbs and exercise loads. Even then, the weight loss is slow!

You say you're on a controlled carb diet? Do you mind me askin how many carbs you're having each day? The NHS seems to be a fan of the high carb diets. Many diabetics, however, prefer to go low cab as it can help with blood sugar control and weight.

Em

Kerry-Michelle

The nurses have said that per meal im allowed around 80 grams of carbs.. I'm having around 60g at the most at the moment for my dinner breakfast I have 30g and for lunch I have 45g.. I just feel so uncomfortable and the doctors say I'll be okay but I'm finding it hard to lose weight as in the past few months I've had lots of stress and upset with family and other things and the doctors telling me I need the implant which caused me to gain weight.. I feel I'm at a lost cause trying my hardest at losing weight and getting nowhere...

Would you say I need to reduce my carbs?? The doctors said that they are low enough but I'm not sure to be honest... :/

Kerry xx

Elc1112

Hi Kerry,

I tend to eat around 40-50g of carbs a day. Having said that, I've been diabetic for a long time so am quite confident in adapting my insulin requirements to suit.

The low carbing did help me to lose weight and to improve my control. It doesn't suit everyone too.

If you're confident carb counting and adjusting your dose accordingly then it might be worth giving it a go. There is a low carb section on the forum where you can find some recipes etc.

Please let me know if you need anything else. Take care x

Kerry-Michelle

Thank you so so very much!!! You're a star!!!! I will see how I get on with lowering my carbs it's all trial and error I guess until you find a happy medium... Thank you again I hope you take care too

Kerry xx

walterrichmand

Eat smaller portions at each meal. Invest in smaller size plates to make sure you are not tempted to eat more. Less food on a bigger plate might give you the impression that you are not eating enough and end up taking more food. Just make sure you are having well-balanced meals.

kocall

hi ive been diabetic type 1 for 14yrs and struggled with my weight going up and down until i came across two things
1: raw carrots high in vitamins and none fattening and they satisfied my sweet tooth
2: i bought a vibro plate this plate doesn't help you lose weight but it does tone up what you've got within four weeks of sitting on my vibro plate for only 10 mins a day i have gone down 2 dress sizes i also notice that my blood levels are more controlled i go on my vibro plate just after injecting my insulin and think this help the insulin to travel throughout my body better
i hope this info help x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App