Weird...

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just received a phone call from my GP surgery. My doctor has advised me going on to a 5:2 diet.. sorry if I sound really stupid but exactly what is a 5:2 diet? I get it’s 5 good days and 2 not so intense. But given all I’ve said and all the advice you’ve been generous enough to share with me will that advice and the meals on DD still apply? How would I/can I approach those 2 “don’t worry about what I eat days”?

:confused
It's 5 days of sensible eating and 2 days of fasting, keeping down to 800 calories, some at breakfast then day 500 in the evening meal. Google Michael Mosley's 5:2 diet

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just received a phone call from my GP surgery. My doctor has advised me going on to a 5:2 diet.. sorry if I sound really stupid but exactly what is a 5:2 diet? I get it’s 5 good days and 2 not so intense. But given all I’ve said and all the advice you’ve been generous enough to share with me will that advice and the meals on DD still apply? How would I/can I approach those 2 “don’t worry about what I eat days”?

From my understanding of this diet its 5 days of eating normal, healthy food, and 2 days near fasting, around 800 calories max each day. You might need to do a little more research on that.
Also, if you're on any form of treatment, be it tablets or insulin, you should do this kind of regimen under medical supoervision, since you may require medications to be modified for the two lower calorie days, to avoid the risk of hypo.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I could not do the 2 days of fasting as I am on medication, plus Asprin every day. So have to take on a full tummy

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I could not do the 2 days of fasting as I am on medication, plus Asprin every day. So have to take on a full tummy

It's not fasting in the sense of eating nothing....you can still have 800 calories.....and, medication doesn't have to be taken on a 'full' tummy, just as long as you have something with it, such as a bit of milk, yoghurt etc to protect your stomach.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Hi,
Have you asked your GP to put you on enteric coated aspirin. It does not dissolve in the stomach.
I use intermittent fasting and don't have to eat when taking aspirin!

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar

In my humble opinion, anything that is called a diet won't work. Whatever you do has to be sustainable and strict diets aren't. I tried to cut out carbs completely for the first three months post diagnosis. You can't, carbs are in most foods, but getting it down to 20-30 gms per day is possible. I lost two and a half stone and got my BMI to 23.5. My HBa1C fell from 53 to 40. I then started to eat a little more fat. I put five lbs on so I reduced the fat until I had lost the extra weight and then upper the fat slightly. I've held my weight steady for nine months. I'm not dieting now, I've changed my eating habits for ever. I now find I don't want sweet foods any more. If I am out and can't find non-carb foods I occasionally eat a sandwich. I don't go woopie gorgeous bread again, it tastes a bit like cardboard. I think the key is to become a fat burner rather than a carb burner. If you can achieve that (I did in about four weeks) you stop feeling hungry and the craving for carbs and sugar goes. Sorry if I've gone on a bit. We are all different. What worked for me might not work for you, but I thought you might like to hear my story. Good luck and whatever you try, I hope it works for you.;)

Reactions: Flora123

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
I found my rheumatism was bothering me a lot less on keto... Carbs are an inflammatory food, and my fingers and hip are a whole lot better like this...

Agree. My colitis is in remission for the first time in years. :)

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I knew someone I used to see her when walking my dog who did the 5/2 diet to loose weight she was not diabetic though. She was told to do the given diet...I think it was low calorie for 5 days then normal food for the other two she did loose weight but I do not know if she ever put it back on I didn't see her anymore she moved away Most people who did it that way would save the two normal days for the weekend so they could enjoy any food they liked if they went out to eat

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hubby did the 5:2 diet about 4 years ago - not diabetic but I could have easily eaten his "fast day" foods with added fats on a LC diet. He lost a lot of weight and has kept the majority of it off- He did have to stop though as the fasting days were triggering his migraines and they became debilitating to the point of losing our weekends :(

It is 5 days normal food - anything you want about 1600 calories but you don't have to count just be mindful. 2 days "fasting" of 600 calories for a woman and 800 calories for a man, you can do your 2 days in any combo you want - together, separate or even back to back (4 days) to increase weight loss.

If your clever on your fast days and use your calories carefully you can still get a really good amount of food

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi,
Have you asked your GP to put you on enteric coated aspirin. It does not dissolve in the stomach.
I use intermittent fasting and don't have to eat when taking aspirin!
Yes I have the coated Asprin but it will still play up if I take it on an empty tummy. When I take it with a meal I am fine

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It's not fasting in the sense of eating nothing....you can still have 800 calories.....and, medication doesn't have to be taken on a 'full' tummy, just as long as you have something with it, such as a bit of milk, yoghurt etc to protect your stomach.
No, Having just some yoghurt or a bit of milk does not work for me at all. When I first started to take Asprin 15 years ago. I was having 2 pieces of toast with it, or I would have a boiled egg and a slice of toast, as I always had my Asprin in the mornings. I started to get burning pains. I went to the docs and she suggested that I take the Asprin with my evening meal which I have been doing for 15 years and no problem. I have made the odd mistake and taken the Asprin with a very small snack and suffered for it.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
No, Having just some yoghurt or a bit of milk does not work for me at all. When I first started to take Asprin 15 years ago. I was having 2 pieces of toast with it, or I would have a boiled egg and a slice of toast, as I always had my Asprin in the mornings. I started to get burning pains. I went to the docs and she suggested that I take the Asprin with my evening meal which I have been doing for 15 years and no problem. I have made the odd mistake and taken the Asprin with a very small snack and suffered for it.

In that case, I wonder why your doctor doesn't prescribe you a PPI to protect your stomach? That's pretty much general practice, rather than relying on you taking enough food to cover it so that it doesn't cause a bleed...........but I suppose if that works for you, then you need to stick to what helps you.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
In that case, I wonder why your doctor doesn't prescribe you a PPI to protect your stomach? That's pretty much general practice, rather than relying on you taking enough food to cover it so that it doesn't cause a bleed...........but I suppose if that works for you, then you need to stick to what helps you.
Oh sorry meant to say. I am taking Omeprazole, have been ever since been on Asprin. I am now finding that butter is giving be acid, but to be honest, I have been putting it on most things lol. Perhaps to much. I have always had a very sensitive tummy.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oh sorry meant to say. I am taking Omeprazole, have been ever since been on Asprin. I am now finding that butter is giving be acid, but to be honest, I have been putting it on most things lol. Perhaps to much. I have always had a very sensitive tummy.

I can relate to having continuous acid and indigestion.
I had ulcers like symptoms.
I had a endoscopy, which found I had a bacterial infection in my stomach and hiatus hernia.
I was given antibiotics, and have not had any problems since.
That was about twelve years ago.
There is a theory that this bacteria caused my RH and changed my initial insulin response. But there is no proof of this!

Have you been investigated for ulcers or bacterial infection?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I tried the 5:2 diet just after the original documentary and i found it quite easy. It didn't work but was quite easy. I think I lost maybe a pound over a whole month. There is/was a forum for people using it and it was amazing the different ways people had made made alterations to the original concept in order to make it work for them.

The original concept (as a result of what Michael Mosley found while making the documentary) was easy have five days of eating normally and two days of restricting calories. That was the idea that really took off. At one time, just about everyone and his dog were having two fasting days a week. By the time I gave it up as a bad job the 5:2 forum users were saying to restrict calories on all days and then even lower on the two fasting days.

I did think about buying the new book but when I looked at the Amazon feedback for it many buyers said it is a re-hash of two of his previous books so i didn't bother.

I hope you have better luck with it than i did. Maybe it might work if combined with low carb, at least that way you wouldn't be hungry all the time like I was.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I can relate to having continuous acid and indigestion.
I had ulcers like symptoms.
I had a endoscopy, which found I had a bacterial infection in my stomach and hiatus hernia.
I was given antibiotics, and have not had any problems since.
That was about twelve years ago.
There is a theory that this bacteria caused my RH and changed my initial insulin response. But there is no proof of this!

Have you been investigated for ulcers or bacterial infection?
I doubt that it is anything like you have suggested, as I only get symptoms once in a while, so quite rare. It is only if I have not got enough food in my tummy when taking Asprin, or if I eat to much butter. I had food poisoning 6 years ago. (Campylobacter) Hubby and I had been to a Chinese restaurant and I had the chicken and pork dumplings. A few hours later I felt dreadful and called an ambulance. I was admitted to the hospital and was on a drip for 4 days and spent a week in hospital. Unfortunately, because it was a bad case of Campylobacter it has left me with a mild case of IBS, so now and again certain things kick it off, like not having enough food when taking Asprin or to much butter. I cannot eat lemon, that kills me, awful burning pain if I made a lemon drink. Lemon and butter sauce will kick it off. I also get ulcers in my mouth if I eat lemon. I did go to the docs over this and they said something to do with the Alkiline..and lemon does effect quite a few people. Fresh Pineapple I have always avoided because this does the same.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Judging by the multiple different interpretations of what the 5/2 diet could be, I strongly suggest that the OP rings the doc back and asks what the heck they meant.