Well that didn't work!

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I keep going low in the night or very early morning between 4-6 am so tonight I made sure my sugars were nearly 8, they've been running very low. Then had some yogurt and nuts. I'll sleep through now thinks I... It's half eleven and my sugar level is 2.3!
I last did Novorapid at 6.45, Lantus was 8 units ( this has reduced) at 8 o'clock.
I need to contact my dsn I think, loads of hypos happening. I'm keeping lucozade in business.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Lower your lantus further and do some bg checks overnight, it might take a few nights testing before you get the dose just right but it's worth it, see what your DSN has to say anyway.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would speak to your DSN, but reduce your lantus in the mean time but at least 1 unit. Lows over night are not good!

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Kelsie

Do you exercise late afternoon/evening? As exercise affects/lowers your sugar levels up to 8-10 hours after exercising. When I've exercised in the evening, I reduce my background insulin by one third

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys, I'm emailing my dsn tonight. I think my ratios and Lantus are wrong. I've had 20 hypos this week and I'm very tired with it. Thank again x

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Donna!

That's a lot of hypos, no wonder you're tired of it.

I seem to go through patches when my BG behaves like your's overnight - although I never have that problem in the day time. It can do it for a few weeks and then correct itself - no rhyme or reason. I've been like it for the whole of January and now I'm back to my usual Levemir dose and holding really steady overnight. I always reduce my evening Levemir when it's happening, but that often leaves me high in the morning. It's a total pain, so I really do sympathise with you.

I split my Levemir dose so that I don't have too much in the evening. Maybe splitting your Lantus would help you? See what your DSN thinks. In the meantime, reduce your Lantus a little and set your alarm for a 3am test - at least it will give you peace of mind knowing that your alrm will wake you and you can make any correction you need.

Smidge

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Smidge. I've just had a bizarre high, pre dinner. Absolutely no reason at all. Now at 9.7, which is down from earlier. I've reduced my basal by one. I split it 8 am/ 8pm.
Alarm set, let's see how this goes. Thanks x

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
3am and I'm at 4.9, so it's dropped quite a bit. Setting the alarm again...

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well it was 2.9 at 6.30, lucozade and 4.7 at 7.30.
I've done 1:6 instead of 2:10 for breakfast and I'll see how I go?
Emailed the nurse yesterday so she'll hopefully endorse that.
I had to see my doctor yesterday, unrelated, but she asked and mentioned my last HBA1C, she was quite supportive of the carb counting. The nurse there had dismissed it totally. The doc was very happy and suggested I tell the dsn what I think I should do rather than ask. I was jolly pleased with her support :)

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Donna!

I wonder if you have two issues going on here?

1. The early drop from 9.7 to 4.9 - is it possible that this is a result of your tea time bolus still being active when you went to bed? What time did you do your last bolus? I do find that I need less insulin overnight, so if I eat and bolus a bit late, the bolus has more effect.

2. The drop from 4.9 to 2.9 between 3am and 6.30am - I think this can only really be the basal. I would reduce this again tonight and set the alarm again. I would also probably have a biscuit as well as the Lucozade if treating a 3am hypo as the Lucozade will raise BG quickly, but you might need something more sustained to work against the excess of Lantus that you seem to have.

I hope your DSN can shed some light on it for you!

Smidge

p.s. Really pleased with your doctor's attitude!