Welsh patient on holiday in England...prescription troubles

jellyfishfeet

Type of diabetes
LADA
Just wondering how people living in Wales deal with getting replacement insulin / test strips etc on prescription when staying in England? I've had no end of trouble, being given conflicting and incorrect advice and in the end being told to present myself at A&E.
Obviously I would ideally always carry sufficient spares but in practice I make mistakes / have accidents!

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
My sis in law ran out of prescription meds while up here in Scotland from England. She got her prescription faxed or emailed up to our village pharmacy and meds were dispensed with no further problem.

Reactions: jellyfishfeet

jellyfishfeet

Type of diabetes
LADA
My sis in law ran out of prescription meds while up here in Scotland from England. She got her prescription faxed or emailed up to our village pharmacy and meds were dispensed with no further problem.

Sounds good! My gp refuses to do this though, apparently data protection law in Wales prevents them from doing so :/

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds good! My gp refuses to do this though, apparently data protection law in Wales prevents them from doing so :/
Just wondering how people living in Wales deal with getting replacement insulin / test strips etc on prescription when staying in England? I've had no end of trouble, being given conflicting and incorrect advice and in the end being told to present myself at A&E.
Obviously I would ideally always carry sufficient spares but in practice I make mistakes / have accidents!
my pharmacist (in England) friend says you should be able to get emergency supplies from any pharmacy in England, you just have to give the doctor and surgery name and they email or phone them while you are there. Then a prescription is faxed through. No worries. Your surgery is talking rubbish!!! (I am in Wales)

I have even had them do the same for me, for other meds, when staying in England.

jellyfishfeet

Type of diabetes
LADA
my pharmacist (in England) friend says you should be able to get emergency supplies from any pharmacy in England, you just have to give the doctor and surgery name and they email or phone them while you are there. Then a prescription is faxed through. No worries. Your surgery is talking rubbish!!! (I am in Wales)

I have even had them do the same for me, for other meds, when staying in England.

jellyfishfeet

Type of diabetes
LADA
I've tried honestly, but my gp won't / can't do it and the pharmacies I've approached can't dispense to me despite obviously wanting to help!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you called NHS 111 to ask about an out of hours doctor to give you a prescription? I have no experience being from other countries in the UK. but I have been in a situation where I needed my insulin and I wasn't registered with a GP in the area and NHS 111 have been able to get an out of hours doctor to prescribe me novrapid and send it off to a pharmacy electronically to dispense it.

and other situations where NHS 111 have booked me an appointment with an out of hours doctor to give me a prescription.

However, usually the GP surgery can electronically send your prescription to any pharmacy.

jellyfishfeet

Type of diabetes
LADA
Have you called NHS 111 to ask about an out of hours doctor to give you a prescription? I have no experience being from other countries in the UK. but I have been in a situation where I needed my insulin and I wasn't registered with a GP in the area and NHS 111 have been able to get an out of hours doctor to prescribe me novrapid and send it off to a pharmacy electronically to dispense it.

and other situations where NHS 111 have booked me an appointment with an out of hours doctor to give me a prescription.

However, usually the GP surgery can electronically send your prescription to any pharmacy.

Hi, yes I tried 111 and they did issue a prescription over the phone for me but the pharmacy couldn't process it due to not being able to access my records on the system (a Welsh / English issue apparently). They then suggested out of hours as you say and this was in a hospital. My gp cannot/ will not issue prescriptions electronically to me when I'm in England. They say it's because of the data protection act. I have spoken with the practice manager and they will not budge!

jellyfishfeet

Type of diabetes
LADA
@jellyfishfeet - maybe ask for a paper script to take with you when you go away, to be filled if necessary?

Yes I'm thinking this might be the only option. Not sure they'd do it as they're very tight on intervals between repeats - they seem to think I'll stockpile or something, but yes it's an option. Think I need a sit down meeting with the practice manager to sort something out. I just can't believe the problems caused by the devolution of health care!

jellyfishfeet

Type of diabetes
LADA
On holiday in Scotland and my husband forgot to pack his meds. Went to the Chemist and the pharmacists phoned our GP surgery straight away. They issued an electronic prescription and the meds were ready the following day. No great fuss or problem according to our GP practice. We have our prescription on-line normally so all they did was temporarily change the details for Dispensing Service on the computer from our normal chemist to the Scottish one. When we got home they switched it back to the normal chemist. It is one of the benefits of having on-line prescriptions.

Is your registered gp in Wales?

jellyfishfeet

Type of diabetes
LADA
Just on the border in Oswestry. As far as I know they are part of England NHS, but many patients live in the Welsh Countryside. I can see parts of Wales from my kitchen window.

Ooh lovely! Drove through there on my way home :) You're right though, a lot of people must just be getting on with it. Either it's me or my surgery who are missing something simple!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
where about are you and what insulin did you need? someone on here might be able to help you out?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh lovely! Drove through there on my way home :) You're right though, a lot of people must just be getting on with it. Either it's me or my surgery who are missing something simple!
Its your surgery talking nonsense. There has always been provision to get emergency meds, especially things like asthma meds and insulin, for example.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a really kind idea thank you! I might try that next time :)

If this has happened more than once something needs to happen to resolve the issue.

I have just completed a two month trip, overseas. OK, I don't use insulin, or diabetes meds, but I do take thyroid horrmone. I had zero issue from my GP when I asked for additional meds for the trip. In fact she asked me a couple of times if I was sure I had enough to see me comfortably through.

As you are the one out on a limb, it's up to you to work with your practise to resolve it.

Isn't some of this about clear, collaborative communication, away from the heat of the moment when somehting is needed, now? That is, in my experience, the best time to make a case for change, as emotions tend to run high and the communication systems get muddled. In the heat of the moment, we can sometimes turn down receive mode and go overdrive into transmit mode. Sometimes the other side does the same. But, thata's not the best way to resolve anything.

jellyfishfeet

Type of diabetes
LADA
If this has happened more than once something needs to happen to resolve the issue.

I have just completed a two month trip, overseas. OK, I don't use insulin, or diabetes meds, but I do take thyroid horrmone. I had zero issue from my GP when I asked for additional meds for the trip. In fact she asked me a couple of times if I was sure I had enough to see me comfortably through.

As you are the one out on a limb, it's up to you to work with your practise to resolve it.

Isn't some of this about clear, collaborative communication, away from the heat of the moment when somehting is needed, now? That is, in my experience, the best time to make a case for change, as emotions tend to run high and the communication systems get muddled. In the heat of the moment, we can sometimes turn down receive mode and go overdrive into transmit mode. Sometimes the other side does the same. But, thata's not the best way to resolve anything.

Yes I agree. I am home now and so trying to find out how best to handle it should this happen a third time. There do appear to be fundamental differences / separations between the two health services which neither side fully appreciate. I have contacted both through their 'customer advice' emails and an awaiting replies.
So far the only thing I have seen that I've not yet tried is to set up electronic prescriptions so I will pursue this. It also might be my practice being unreasonable so I will arrange a meeting with the manager. Thanks all for your contributions.