Tombish89

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hey, so, having been for my first ever blood test last week the results have come back and my HbA1c score was 55. Obviously, as soon as I heard the nurse mention the words diabetes I freaked out and immediately went to worse case scenario. I’m 33 and I’ll be honest I’ve not lead the healthiest of lifestyles, in the last 4 years I’ve gone from 25 stone to 20stone which I currently am and still aiming to lose more. I guess what I’m asking and wanting to know is what’s to come with a score of 55? I’ve got to go back next Wednesday for a repeat blood test and then am booked in with a diabetes nurse the following Monday and already my mind is in overdrive and I’ve not even been diagnosed yet. Any help, advice or words of wisdom greatly appreciated.

Tom.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Hey, so, having been for my first ever blood test last week the results have come back and my HbA1c score was 55. Obviously, as soon as I heard the nurse mention the words diabetes I freaked out and immediately went to worse case scenario. I’m 33 and I’ll be honest I’ve not lead the healthiest of lifestyles, in the last 4 years I’ve gone from 25 stone to 20stone which I currently am and still aiming to lose more. I guess what I’m asking and wanting to know is what’s to come with a score of 55? I’ve got to go back next Wednesday for a repeat blood test and then am booked in with a diabetes nurse the following Monday and already my mind is in overdrive and I’ve not even been diagnosed yet. Any help, advice or words of wisdom greatly appreciated.

Tom.
Keep calm. There are options and it is great you have already lost weight. This is a fantastic forum. All the information available on here will help you. Best of Luck.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you are a type 2 then the next thing I did was to get rid of the carby food in my cupboard and buy a meter. I tested first thing in the morning, then before and two hours after every meal. I carb counted carefully too: drinks, meals, snacks.
That showed I could reduce my blood glucose if I had less that 85g of carbs a day and no more than 30 in a meal. I know many other need to go lower than that but I was only just a T2 and research suggests the sooner you cut carb the better/faster you can reduce the impact or get into remission.
I refused both Metformin and statins, telling my GP I preferred to try diet control first, and by the time I saw the nurse 3 months later all my blood tests were fine. (However, as they only take an average I knew my morning/fasting test was still a bit too high, that took about 4 moths to go down.)

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in 2019 with a high of 50. I probably went out of normal BG range somewhere around 2010 and had a range of uncomfortable and unpleasant symptoms for the next ten years or so. I was back in normal range (36) after four months low-carb. I found it worked for me to drop to ~20g carb/day. I tested my BG via a meter before and after eating and worked out what foods I needed to avoid completetly (eg pastry, pasta. rice. bread, most fruit).

Three years on and I've shed about 25kg, (from somewhere around 120 to 94kg), and I've never felt hungry. Started this year to exercise again, have lost or reduced all my symptoms, and am feeling fine.

You need to work out the right pattern for you. What works for one doesn't always work for others. Best of luck.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't panic, and don't do anything drastic initially. I say this becuase the NHS needs 2 clear tests before they can officially diagnose and get you into the system. I panicked, lost weight and by the time I got back was not deemed diabetic and have therefore had no official help at all. I've had to do and learn everything myself, with loads of thanks to, and help and support from this wonderful forum.
Remember diabeties takes a long time to develop, and equally, won't resolve nor cause any major damage in a week.
However, before we all assume T2, because you have lost weight and are young, there is a possibility you are T1 and this needs to be ruled out.
So use the time to learn, learn and do more learning. By the time you go back you will know more than the nurse does! (Huge subject, I'm still learning 2 and a half years later)
By all means reduce carbs a bit, and certainly don't do the pendulum swing the other way of "but this is the last cake/biscuit/pizza/drink I can ever have, therefore I'll binge until told not to!"
So read everything, digest, then come back with questions.
The advice from here will be weighted towards going very low carb. Your nurse has to follow the official rules(even though those rules are detrimental to us).
Best on that first appointment to nod, smile and keep her on side

Someone should post soon with the links to the initial advice on diet and carbs and meters etc. AND Kenny came in cue. Look at the links in his signature. That covers nearly everything

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
what’s to come with a score of 55
A HbA1c of 48 and over puts you into the diabetic range, if your second test confirms your HbA1c level you will more than likely be diagnosed with T2.
A level of 55 is not too high, your dr might want you to try bringing it down with diet and exercise before resorting to medication. And of course getting down to a healthier weight will probably make a big difference.
I’m 33 and I’ll be honest I’ve not lead the healthiest of lifestyles
You only get one body and one shot at life, you owe it to yourself and everyone who loves you to take your health seriously.
It's not that difficult to cut the rubbish from your diet and get a little more exercise, you just have to be determined enough to make the changes.

Tombish89

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
A HbA1c of 48 and over puts you into the diabetic range, if your second test confirms your HbA1c level you will more than likely be diagnosed with T2.
A level of 55 is not too high, your dr might want you to try bringing it down with diet and exercise before resorting to medication. And of course getting down to a healthier weight will probably make a big difference.

You only get one body and one shot at life, you owe it to yourself and everyone who loves you to take your health seriously.
It's not that difficult to cut the rubbish from your diet and get a little more exercise, you just have to be determined enough to make the changes.

Thank you for the reassurance. I appreciate it.

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Tombish89 First don't panic, but you have come to the right place, we have all been there and many of us, including myself with an HbA1c over 100 when we were diagnosed. Your HbA1c of 55 is not very much higher than the threshold of 48 for diabetes diagnosis, so need to change everything a once. Ask questions with the doctor, it is important to establish if you are T2 or T1. as these are very different.

Try to convince your GP to give you a blood sugar meter and test strips instead of medication assuming you are not taking them already.
You can say you want to improve you blood sugar levels with diet. Many here have achieved good results with lowering their carb intake.

Weight loss also helps and as you are big you could consider this. How did you lose 5 stones already? if it works, continue.
I've lost 10 kg by intermittent fasting, 2 days a week with only 600 calories, other by switching from less carbs to more fat and protein.
This can work as fat is more satiating and you don't feel hungry. If you restrict your calories only, your metabolic rate will slow down,
you will not lose more weight, possibly gain back and feel miserable. This is not sustainable and why most diets fail.
As an aside, such yo-yo dieting is a great business model, you can list all the diet companies yourself.

You haven't told us what you eat, so we can't tell you specifics, but at your HbA1c level, you might see changes for the better with smallish adjustments. As for what not to eat, I went cold turkey on fizzy drinks. These are mainly sugar. This includes orange juice, eat an apple or orange instead. I've banned all low-fat food from my kitchen, these are sugary, so not filling and make you hungry. I try to eat real and non-processed food, e.g. vegetables, cheese, eggs, fish and meat. I never liked triangular sandwiches anyway.

I hope this helps and let us know if you have questions and tell us how you get on.
Best wishes on your journey.

Aishia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
O
Yes best wishes on your journey I came down HbaIc of 75 to 45. The will power did it. But it's n
ow on 45 that I am Getting a bit stuck.Can I do it. Can't be absolutely certain.As it's my own health in the end
will have to do it really that is after a little break.Then start all over again to the next target of being diabetic free.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HbA1c score was 55

in the last 4 years I’ve gone from 25 stone to 20stone

See above, that's all I need to read.
You have colossal wiggle room & only on the lower rung of the diagnostic ladder.

(1) Get a meter
(2) Low carb
(3) Eat to the meter
(4) Move

I know it doesn't feel like it now but you've been blessed to be caught so early & have a huge opportunity to improve.
Now it's up to you.

Tombish89

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
See above, that's all I need to read.
You have colossal wiggle room & only on the lower rung of the diagnostic ladder.

(1) Get a meter
(2) Low carb
(3) Eat to the meter
(4) Move

I know it doesn't feel like it now but you've been blessed to be caught so early & have a huge opportunity to improve.
Now it's up to you.

Thank you for the reassurance. I appreciate it

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Well my last Hba1c was 55 so if you look at it like that I am doomed too - but my bg has been gradually going down with diet and exercise so it can be done.

Tombish89

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Well my last Hba1c was 55 so if you look at it like that I am doomed too - but my bg has been gradually going down with diet and exercise so it can be done.

That’s sounds positive. I’ve changed my diet completely the last 5 months I dread to think what it would have been had I been checked then and have been exercising everyday from being completely sedentary the last year or two. So hopefully I will improve.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
So results came back from the second blood test, this time was 51, so down from 55. Feeling a lot less anxious now. Just gotta keep cracking on and getting healthier and fitter.
Very good. Keep on trucking. Best of Luck.

• Agree
Reactions: Lainie71

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey, so, having been for my first ever blood test last week the results have come back and my HbA1c score was 55. Obviously, as soon as I heard the nurse mention the words diabetes I freaked out and immediately went to worse case scenario. I’m 33 and I’ll be honest I’ve not lead the healthiest of lifestyles, in the last 4 years I’ve gone from 25 stone to 20stone which I currently am and still aiming to lose more.
Good news, you've been diagnosed only just over the threshold.
Better news, you are overweight = wiggle room.
Hit low carb, walk 30 mins per day, get a meter, eat to the meter.
See you back at your 3 month follow up, you'll astound yourself.